Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m starting to get a lot more aggressive tank slapping on my 2010 zx10r and I’m currently set at the hardest setting on my OEM OHLIN’S damper.

So I’m question is “Do I spend the money on aftermarket say a Scotts,etc or do I get it re-valve ?”.

:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Revalve it. I upgraded a buddies ZX6R stock damper's needle and seat; at the same time I was servicing a aftermarket Ohlins damper. The resistance is EXACTLY through all the settings. Plus you'll save yourself a lot of $$$.

On a side note don't just go to a thicker oil like some people have, upgrade the needle and seat.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I’m starting to get a lot more aggressive tank slapping on my 2010 zx10r and I’m currently set at the hardest setting on my OEM OHLIN’S damper.

So I’m question is “Do I spend the money on aftermarket say a Scotts,etc or do I get it re-valve ?”.

:dontknow:

Revalve the stock damper,it will be fine. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
How tight are you holding the bars? Be relaxed and don't death grip the bars. Let the bike work for you. Elbows bent and relax. I'm done.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Baddie, I am about to give you the best advise you're going to get.

work on the way u ride :p you shouldnt have so much tank slapping .. even without damper..
How tight are you holding the bars? Be relaxed and don't death grip the bars. Let the bike work for you. Elbows bent and relax. I'm done.
Both of these, plus, rebuild the oem damper. It needs it and you are wasting your money if you buy an aftermarket. A rebuilt stock is the same as race spec ohlins, for approx $100. Read this post and don't waste your time coming back to this thread.:wink:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Re-valving the stock damper will get you a damper with all the dampening you need for sure. Definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I have a friend that rides an 05 ZX10 about as hard as anyone will ever ride one on the street. He also has had it on the track numerous times. He has NEVER had a damper mounted. It's all about riding style. After i sold my Scotts i rode around without one for a while. I didn't notice not having one at all.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Head shake or speed wobble is common on my 10, never have it on my gixxer. Both are equipped with the same damper on the same settings. The gixxer has a much more stable chassis but that along with the best damper isn't necessarily going to prevent a real lockout to lockout tank slapper. A true tank slapper usually cannot be recovered and results in a crash. I've had one tank slapper. My feet flew off the pegs and my knees broke both fairings during the incredibly violent side to side shaking but I didn't break any bones. It was lockout to lockout probably 6 times in one second. I have no clue how I didn't go down.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i think a steering damper is a necessity. i used to get shakes til i did. scary stuff to be in one. i think suspension plays a big part tho. first ride with my 08 i got a nasty tank slapper. so i did the fix on the factory ohlins. the cause was probably the overly soft rear spring. im at 190lbs, thats my next mod, stiffer spring and suspension tune

1 - 17 of 17 Posts