Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story is that I sent out my steering damper to be rebuilt, got it back and everything seem to check out (smooth, no signs of leaking). Install it back on the bike per the service manual, leave it about half way through the setting, works great. So i go to crank it all the way up this morning and I notice there seems to be a bit of play in the damper before the force is applied. Did not think anything of it but when I come to a stop i notice there is fluid under my triple tree on the right side of the frame. So what went wrong is my question? To much fluid? Should i just remove it for now? This is for a 2012 if that helps at all and the fluid is coming from the gold, not where the rod comes out.

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
Send it back to whoever rebuilt it and tell them it's possibly leaking. If it is, a quick pressure test will tell. Had mine rebuilt and a seal blew shortly after. Might be something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Yup, definitely leaking. And the play in it is due to the air pocket. Who rebuilt it? In a lot of cases, the increased damping pressure can blow a seal on it. Or the seal was damaged in the rebuild. If you're going to continue riding the bike, I'd remove the damper completely as you don't want the fluid leaking anywhere crucial. And the damper isn't doing anything anyway. It may also be a hazard due to the unpredictability of the unit in it's current state.

Reactions: Helitech

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have contacted the company and will follow up with them on how to cure the issue. The rebuild was done by dan kyle racing which i am sure they will take care of me. Just realized they have LDH's bike image for the zx10rs, small world. Ty for the feedback as to riding it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have contacted the company and will follow up with them on how to cure the issue. The rebuild was done by dan kyle racing which i am sure they will take care of me. Just realized they have LDH's bike image for the zx10rs, small world. Ty for the feedback as to riding it.
LDH works out of Dan Kyles shop, they will take care of you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.