Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Please accept my apologies if this is a repost.

So I have my ZX10R for about 3 weeks now, bought it secondhand.
Never felt properly comfortable on it, the front end just felt very hard over bumps and I never felt entirely in control.
It doesn't help that i am extremely light (55kgs).
So I took it back to the dealer that I purchased the bike from and complained about the feeling of it. They had a look and found that the previous owner adjusted the suspension to be on the hard side. They brought it back to factory spec and it felt fine.

This past Sunday I went riding. I was doing pretty illegal speeds when I hit a slight bump. I ride this road very often and I know this bump, but it was never a bump that I needed to be wary of with any other bike that I rode.
Anyway I went over this bump and had the worst tank slapper I have ever experienced. At the speed I was going at, I could do nothing but pray!

This got me worried though, because I have ridden S1000RRs, Fireblades, GSXR1000s etc on this road and have never had this issue.

Everyone that I have spoken to has told me to get rid of that electronic steering damper immediately and put a manual one on.

What are the inputs of you all?

Sorry for the long story, just want to give you guys a bit of a backstory that lead to my concerns.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I have a Gen 4 with the manual damper and I think yours is the electric one...have you had the dealer check the damper for proper operation?

I have had a tank slapper at the race track and just applying full throttle corrected it.

Not sure what else to suggest...maybe replace the electric one with a manual one?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I have the Ohlins manual one and had Kyle Racing revalve it for $100.

Made a difference for sure.
I really wanted the electronic one to work but by the time it reacts to an issue you’re already in trouble. I can deal with a bit of head shake but it gets to be tiring when you’ve got 22 laps of it so I ditched it and went manual. Much better.

·
The Pace
7,163 Posts
Hello all

Please accept my apologies if this is a repost.

So I have my ZX10R for about 3 weeks now, bought it secondhand.
Never felt properly comfortable on it, the front end just felt very hard over bumps and I never felt entirely in control.
It doesn't help that i am extremely light (55kgs).
So I took it back to the dealer that I purchased the bike from and complained about the feeling of it. They had a look and found that the previous owner adjusted the suspension to be on the hard side. They brought it back to factory spec and it felt fine.

This past Sunday I went riding. I was doing pretty illegal speeds when I hit a slight bump. I ride this road very often and I know this bump, but it was never a bump that I needed to be wary of with any other bike that I rode.
Anyway I went over this bump and had the worst tank slapper I have ever experienced. At the speed I was going at, I could do nothing but pray!

This got me worried though, because I have ridden S1000RRs, Fireblades, GSXR1000s etc on this road and have never had this issue.

Everyone that I have spoken to has told me to get rid of that electronic steering damper immediately and put a manual one on.

What are the inputs of you all?

Sorry for the long story, just want to give you guys a bit of a backstory that lead to my concerns.
what year?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yeah, definitely sounds like suspension issues. But having said that I ditched the ESD on both my GEN4 and GEN5 in favor of a manual damper re-valved by ^^^^that guy^^^^^.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damnit!
Sorry peeps, its a Gen 4.

A lot of people have told me to ditch the electronic one as well.

The bike has a bit of an issue at the moment with the radiator, but as soon as I get it back, I will take it immediately to have the suspension looked at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts