Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 zx10r
166 Posts
The ohlins SCU is pricey. Is it worth upgrading the SCU or is a manual one better? By better I mean with the adjustment range. It would be about the same price.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Im working on a fully adjustable mod for these dampers.
Heres where im at so far.
I start machining this weekend.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The ohlins SCU is pricey. Is it worth upgrading the SCU or is a manual one better? By better I mean with the adjustment range. It would be about the same price.
The SCU is fine for street riders. Not race worthy in my opinion and I am the largest Ohlins dealer on the planet...

·
Registered
821 Posts
The SCU is fine for street riders. Not race worthy in my opinion and I am the largest Ohlins dealer on the planet...
Its funny you say that because i find I need more on the road.
The roads over here in the uk very rough and bumpy.
When you ride fast around the area I live you need more steering damper than you need on the track.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Its funny you say that because i find I need more on the road.
The roads over here in the uk very rough and bumpy.
When you ride fast around the area I live you need more steering damper than you need on the track.
Most riders aren't even using 10% of the bikes capabilities on public roads there are exceptions of course, but I just don't see that much of it from street riders. In my experience, If the bike is setup properly few will have any major issues with tank slappers while riding in the twisties as public roads simply lack the grip of even a dirty racetrack. That extra grip from the track combined with stickier race tires at catalyst activated temperatures is what exacerbates the issues with energy being transmitted through the chassis.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My 5pw was purchased just for show as its a minter. I do not hack about on it but every now and again i will blast it in a straight line to blow the cobwebs off.
I found sometimes if the roads a little rough it would get out of shape and i had some nasty shakes on it.
I then fitted ohlins damper and now its rock solid with zero shakes.
So what im getting at is if the bike is accelerared hard the front gets light or skims the road. If the road is rough then it can be a bit if a wild ride so i run quite strong damping on the road.
My s1000rr had ohlins race damper wound up quite hard as the geometry makes the front really unstable over rough roads.

·
Registered
18 zx10r
166 Posts
I couldn't pass up a Toby damper I got for an amazing price. I'm waiting on the healtech SDE to install.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I'm generally not very disparaging of other products in a professional setting, but Toby is shit. You are very likely getting what you paid for with that.

·
Registered
18 zx10r
166 Posts
I'm generally not very disparaging of other products in a professional setting, but Toby is shit. You are very likely getting what you paid for with that.
Maybe, maybe not. It's their race version and anything is better than the GPR units. I had one on my other bike and those things are leaky unstable garbage. Either way I have an ohlins damper I bought from you on my other bike I can test out. I can get an ohlins if I'm unhappy with it.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts