Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
When you say you really "have" this electronics damper is that the word you meant to use? I have a 2014 and a 2016 ZX10R with the ESD. The damper is pretty much useless in stock form in my opinion, similar to the stock manual dampers. On my 2014 I replaced the SCU with the Ohlins race SCU which make it work sufficiently. Unfortunately they didn't yet have one (and still don't to my knowledge) for the 2016. The 2014 and 2016 SCUs have different part numbers and I believe they are not compatible. So, what I did is picked up a used manual damper off of Ebay for 100 bucks and took it to Eric at Velocity Calibrations and had him revalve it. That's been working great for me. As mentioned, you can't just unplug the ESD because it will throw a warning light. I pulled the motor out of the ESD and left it hooked up to the cable and just tucked it under the SCU under my tank so it doesn't throw a warning light. I did a little video on how to take the servo motor out:
Hi,
I see you have both race SCU on 2014 and manual damper on 2016, if I got that correct.
I have been contemplating on race SCU or manual damper for my 2015, just wanted your opinion which one you felt better between the two.
I am a bit inclined towards race SCU though.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Hi,
I see you have both race SCU on 2014 and manual damper on 2016, if I got that correct.
I have been contemplating on race SCU or manual damper for my 2015, just wanted your opinion which one you felt better between the two.
I am a bit inclined towards race SCU though.
Well, I would say each has its advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion the race SCU makes the ESD perform acceptably, except you still have absolutely 0 control over it. If you would like it stiffer or softer you can't adjust it. You're stuck with what is programmed in the SCU. But like I said, for "me" the race SCU makes the ESD feel about right. Another advantage of the ESD is that it stiffens up when it needs to be stiff and it softens up where it doesn't need to be stiff. When you're sitting still and move the bars it feels as if there is no damping at all. When you are riding hard you can feel it running fairly stiff. On the manual damper you can set it at whatever stiffness level you prefer but it's going to stay at that level regardless of how hard you are riding the bike. Personally, that doesn't bother me so for me, I think it's a wash between manual revalved damper and ESD with race SCU. They both will do what you need them to do.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I just responded to that email and sent your link to get verification that it's correct. Fingers crossed. :) I guess I'll probably still run my revalved manual damper though. It works really well.
Confirmed. The same race SCU part # that I am running in my 2014 will work in the 2016 as well:

I just received an email back from Sweden regarding the SCU for the 2016 ZX10R. That part # "WILL" work for the NEW ZX10R, I shave 3 in stock and the retail price is $328.42.

Regards,
Matt

·
Registered
800 Posts
My 2015 damper just doesnt work. Ive had alot of head shakes on it.
Apparently there is nothing wrong with it from having it plugged in but im not convinced.
I think mines been tampered with because the annodizing was faded when i brought it so im wondering if the one on it was swapped over before i picked it up.
If this is the case then maybe mines lost some oil and isnt working at all.
Can anyone advise weather i can refill it and try it again?

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,574 Posts
I thought only the 2016 had the smart damper that is lose when going slow and stiffen up as you ride harder.....that was on the 2014 and 2015 also?

So for $328 we can get the Damper of our dreams ?

what is the part number for the SCU ???

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,680 Posts
The ESD first showed up on the 2013 models. It hasn't changed since. The Ohlins Race SCU from 2013 on will work with the Gen 5 as tdh confirmed.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,574 Posts
The ESD first showed up on the 2013 models. It hasn't changed since. The Ohlins Race SCU from 2013 on will work with the Gen 5 as tdh confirmed.
Ah..I see

Öhlins USA - Race-Smart SCU for Kawasaki ZX-10R Öhlins Mechatronic Steering Damper
The write up almost make it sound like a must.....
and part #21740-03

Hendersonville, North Carolina: Now riders can take their 2013-14 Kawasaki ZX-10R to level three, Race Mode, with an upgraded Öhlins’ Race SCU (Suspension Control Unit) for the Öhlins OEM-fitted steering damper.

The Race SCU is programed to transform the Öhlins Mechatronic, electronically controlled OEM-fitted steering damper on the latest ZX-10R into race mode, stepping it up to the real-world demands of the racetrack. From the factory, the Öhlins electronically controlled steering damper is tuned to be adaptive to a broad range of street riding, from parking lots to legal speeds. With installation of the Öhlins Race SCU, the steering damper reacts to the higher speeds of racetracks, and to kinetic extremes of velocity and rider input, providing a semi-active dynamic range of higher damping values.

The Race SCU reveals that the factory-fitted Öhlins damper is racetrack-proven, and all that it needs is the proper semi-active tuning to perform. Unlike some OEM-supplied dampers, that should be replaced for track use, the electronically controlled ZX-10R OEM Öhlins damper’s internals already have all that’s needed in damping abilities as supplied on the bike; unleashed by the Race SCU to react to racing contingencies with seamless aplomb.

The Öhlins Race SCU for the 2013-14 Kawasaki ZX-10R is part #21740-03, and has an MSRP of $328.00. Check out the dealer locater on the Ohlins USA website, to find a dealer near you, or, for that matter, anywhere else in the USA.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The damper didn't change but the OEM SCU part number was different. So, even though the outputs should be the same (except maybe for some better programming) the inputs may not have been same into the SCU. I wasn't going to just stick my GEN4 race SCU in my GEN5 until Ohlins said it would work.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
lol, right. you know this, I'm sure. Two wheels in the air ok with no throttle, in air, if you know the jump. Bunch of stuff going on here.
I love getting two wheels in the air. I wish I could ride that track over in the UK where they get that big air. :) Only way I can get air around here is to jump my favorite double set of railroad tracks. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, I would say each has its advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion the race SCU makes the ESD perform acceptably, except you still have absolutely 0 control over it. If you would like it stiffer or softer you can't adjust it. You're stuck with what is programmed in the SCU. But like I said, for "me" the race SCU makes the ESD feel about right. Another advantage of the ESD is that it stiffens up when it needs to be stiff and it softens up where it doesn't need to be stiff. When you're sitting still and move the bars it feels as if there is no damping at all. When you are riding hard you can feel it running fairly stiff. On the manual damper you can set it at whatever stiffness level you prefer but it's going to stay at that level regardless of how hard you are riding the bike. Personally, that doesn't bother me so for me, I think it's a wash between manual revalved damper and ESD with race SCU. They both will do what you need them to do.
thank you for your inputs, these will surely help me with my decision.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Would it fix this problem?
7 min 22 in i get a head shake. It throws pistons back in callipers a bit so i run wide at the next corner
https://youtu.be/OxvPMpJoI2s
It's hard to tell exactly with the position of your camera but assuming your bars shook back and forth quickly then I would say yes, a stiffer damper would have prevented that shake, or at least minimized it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
It's hard to tell exactly with the position of your camera but assuming your bars shook back and forth quickly then I would say yes, a stiffer damper would have prevented that shake, or at least minimized it.
You cant miss it. Cameras bolted to top yoke so shakes with the bars.
Its actually 7 mins 27 the shake

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
From what I can see it looks like a very minor wiggle which wouldn't really have bothered me at all but yes, a stiffer damper would have reduced that to nothing. I don't run dampers at all on my 600s and I get much worse shakes than that often. The first couple of times it happened I crapped my pants but my bikes are set up so they don't go into an uncontrollable tank slapper and come out of it pretty easily so I learned to live with it happening, and almost liked it. :) Having said that after riding these ZX10Rs with good damper setups and then go back to the 600s they scare the crap out of me again. Mostly because the damper has allowed me to get lazy on how I set the wheel back down. I can almost set it down sideways and it will straighten right up without a shake. The 600s will almost put me on my ass if I do that.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
From what I can see it looks like a very minor wiggle which wouldn't really have bothered me at all but yes, a stiffer damper would have reduced that to nothing. I don't run dampers at all on my 600s and I get much worse shakes than that often. The first couple of times it happened I crapped my pants but my bikes are set up so they don't go into an uncontrollable tank slapper and come out of it pretty easily so I learned to live with it happening, and almost liked it. :) Having said that after riding these ZX10Rs with good damper setups and then go back to the 600s they scare the crap out of me again. Mostly because the damper has allowed me to get lazy on how I set the wheel back down. I can almost set it down sideways and it will straighten right up without a shake. The 600s will almost put me on my ass if I do that.
That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Not every tank slapped is recoverable and it only takes one.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Well so far every one I've had was recoverable. :) But like I said, since I started riding and racing with good dampers I can't really live without them now. Awesome piece of confidence inspiring technology. ;)

·
Registered
800 Posts
My gen1 had a hyperpro damper and there were no issues with shakes. Ok the ones im getting on my gen4 are not tank slappers but they are enough to make pads go back in calipers and to make me shut off or even run me way off line. Just didnt think it was right as i havnt once felt my damper working.
I didnt remember any issues on a gen4 that i test rode for 2 hours so thats why im looking for answers

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I can say mine would get smaller shakes all the time, before I put the race SCU in my 2014 and the manual revalved damper on my 2016. I don't recall them ever being bad enough to reset the pucks in the brakes, but I just don't understand why they come from the factory that way. How can that be any safer than sending out a damper that actually works? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I can say mine would get smaller shakes all the time, before I put the race SCU in my 2014 and the manual revalved damper on my 2016. I don't recall them ever being bad enough to reset the pucks in the brakes, but I just don't understand why they come from the factory that way. How can that be any safer than sending out a damper that actually works? It just doesn't make any sense to me.
You're not the only puzzled one :confused:

21 - 40 of 52 Posts