Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up my 10 this weekend and looking to set her up as a dedicated track tool.

I'm new to the ZX10R and I've just started reading about what mods to make and it looks like the following are springing to the fore;

- steering damper
- one tooth less front sprocket
- slip on can or full system
- PCIII
- track fairings
- crash bungs (bobbins)

As the weather in the UK is turning crappy at this time of year (its crappy at the best of times), I've only got a few chances to get on the track this year, and not much cash to do all the mods, how would you prioritise the mods listed above? Which ones would you add to the list or remove?

I'm assuming that the brakes / suspension / rearsets will be up to the job and would not need replacing at first? The fairings are a given and I really wouldn't track her without removing all lights/indicators/numberplate hangers etc.... so other than fairings, where else should I be aiming my cash? The steering damper seems an obvious one, is it that bad without it?

I read a bit about 520 conversions, is this worth it? How strong are they?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm loving ZX10R ownership and I haven't picked her up yet!!!!

Tim :helmet:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Tim

As i mentioned in another post 'replace the shock' i.e. forget the PC3 & pipe and do this. As for the rest of your list that should suffice.

As long as your installing a 16t you might as well replace the chain & rear sprocket and lengthen it a link or two until its on the 5th mark out of 7 when complete. The xtr wheelbase will add stability.

BD

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
So far this year, my ZX10 has gone to 8 track days. 7 with me riding, 1 with a friend who is a former racer. Neither he nor I have had any issues with stability on a pretty high speed but somewhat bumpy track. My former track day ride was a '98 R1 with an Ohlins shock and at this point, I would rate the stock ZX10 rear suspension package as superior to the R1 with the Ohlins. One thing you do not have on your list is track tires, which would be my #1 priority. I prefer the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa tires. 180/55 rear. I think the tires also contribute to the stabilty that my bike has exhibited. I do not have a steering damper at this time because I have not felt the need. However, I would like to do more tweeks with the suspension and I will get a steering damper in the future. On a high speed track running in the advanced group, I have not felt the need to add horsepower. As a matter of fact, after almost every session, I have riders with modified liter bikes coming over to find out what I have done to my bike to make it so fast. My track day wish list is short, a steering damper, rear set footpegs, track body work and powder coated wheels. And eventually, an Ohlins or Penske shock, but not yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, on the track I'm normally running slicks, but the point about tyre size is a good one. What width is the rear rim? If its 6inch, is a 190 preffered? Or at 5.5, it would be a 180 - is that right for a ZX?
If I'm running road tyres, then the Supercorsas are favorite for me.

Thanks for the info
Tim

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
If I had to put them in an order I would
16t
Sliders "bobbins"
Damper
Can
PC3
Fairings
I would have to disagree on replacing the chain I perfer the strenght of the 525 over the light weight of the 520 just my opinion if you keep the 525 dropping a tooth in the front will give you a little more length for the stability BD is referring to, once again just my .02
As for switching to a 180 in the rear, that is more personal prefrence I think than anything else. however if you do go with the 180 you will burn through them very quickly. I think everyone who has switch over to the 180 agreed that the bike tears them up much quicker than the 190, good luck.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Zeta, I am amazed that you don't feel the need for a damper. I didn't think it was necessary when I was breaking in the bike on the street, but on the track I have a damper and still feel the wobbles in the front. It doesn't sound like I'm faster than you so I'm led to believe that your tires/setup is just less prone to tankslap. Maybe it's not a coincidence that I didn't feel the need for a damper until I installed 208 gp tires. I think I'll try the Supercorsas.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yup with dunlop you need steering damper, otherwise its only safety issue. And beter yet, dont hold on bike with arms so strong and let it woble. I changed my riding style and now have damper on softest setings, as oposed to how i was riding before. Before i had to turn it real hard to prevent wobles, but as i mentioned i was holding bike too tight.

And get rid of those dunlops.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts