Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my first track day last month and now obviously have no desire to ride on the street again. I see tons of things online about 600's or less cc being the best track bikes to start out on. But these days with all the electronic aides and power modes it almost seems pointless. Anybody else start out on a 1000 for track use?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I just did my first track day last month and now obviously have no desire to ride on the street again. I see tons of things online about 600's or less cc being the best track bikes to start out on. But these days with all the electronic aides and power modes it almost seems pointless. Anybody else start out on a 1000 for track use?
i think i rode my r6 for maybe 2 or 3 trackdays ? then i got the gen 4 i have and i never looked back. but that's me.

if u have a track buddy that has a 600 see if u can ride it and compare.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Perfectly doable. I started track days on my Gen5 and what an excellent bike to start on IMO. The stock suspension (mainly the forks) is very track friendly out the box and can be utilized for several seasons before looking into upgrades. The brakes are some of the best out there. Just get some approved coolant, good tires, good pads, and clean brake fluid and you'll be good to go. It's definitely user friendly. There's nothing better per se' about 600's and 300's other than curb weight. The lower the weight the later you can brake, the easier it is to lean, and the quicker you can transition... that all sounds great but the bikes only as good as it's rider. I've passed R6's in the turns and Panigale's in the straights... and at the same time I've had a hard time trying to keep up with an experienced 300 until the straightaway. It's all about the rider. A lighter bike is easier to ride... I'll say that. A heavier bike is going to make up for it's set-backs with acceleration.

Find a trackday with demo bikes and you can test which one you feel more comfortable on. If you think the R6 or something is better then pick up a cheap low mile 08 for 3-4 grand.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
It spoils you, makes it easier to be lazy with shifting and corner speed

Also, very dangerous, you learn how to handle a bike at 190mph in one of two ways.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I've tossed the idea around about trading my 10r for a 6r but I just can't bring myself to do it. Love it to much and after getting the suspension dialed in for me at my current skill level it felt even better.

It spoils you, makes it easier to be lazy with shifting and corner speed

Also, very dangerous, you learn how to handle a bike at 190mph in one of two ways.
I completely understand what you mean by it making you lazy. And your last statement made me laugh.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yea it dont matter. Especially with TC, to be honest its probably safer. With today's technology they handle better than most mid 2000's 600 anyway. Also my track 4th gen is lighter than all my friends 600's.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I rode track on my gen 1 street for the first time, then i bought a gen 4 and haven't looked back. exactly 2 years later? I've completed a full year of racing and am moving up to expert in my organization.

It depends completely on your fitness, learning capabilities, drive and goals. And no matter what, on a 300 or a 1000, you'll become that much better of a rider than if you stick to only tooling around on the street on any bike.

Also, fuck the street, that shit'll get you killed. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts