Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Starting issues?

Gen 2: 2006-07 
12K views 101 replies 28 participants last post by  zx10rpower 
#1 ·
Any of you guys ever experience when you turn your bike off an then turn it back on right away an it acts like it doesn't wanna start? Like the battery is going dead? And then a letter "d" comes up on the display of my gipro shift indicator then goes back to displaying what gear I'm in. But then it will start right up after that.

#2 ·
mines been acting funny. When i try to start it, it doesnt wanna start and then my guage cluster resets the time and trip and then fires right up. its aggravating as shit! the battery is brand new and fully charged

#3 ·
Yea it resets all my shit too! Do you have a gear indicator on yours?

#4 ·
nope, no gear indicator. It started doing it after I got my valves done

#5 ·
That's weird! I can't remember when mine 1st started doin it but it's been doing it for a while now. I wonder if it has somethin to do with the stator thingy goin bad or somethin? :dontknow:

#6 ·
hope not, but I have no idea. It starts every time, its just a bitch at first and resets the cluster

#10 ·
Blackpearl....when your's does it do you see a letter "d" on the display of your gear indicator? :dontknow:

#8 ·
ok so we all 3 have the same shit, BUT no idea wtfs causing it. this is gay

#11 ·
BigCat, did you check in the instruction booklet for the GiPro to see what the "D" stands for?
When my stator was going bad my Instrument presets never reset on me because the battery was still charged. That never happened until stator went completely out and I drained battery while riding just like what happens in a car and alternator goes. My bike did randomly stall a few times and also my oil light(red light) would randomly flash but no Fi light. It was so weird that I instantly new it was stator.
There was an older thread, like 2yrs old now on here somewhere, where this was happening to a few guys. I can't remember what the cause was they figured out though.
I know, I'm lame and no help at all. It may be the stator though as when Red's was going out she would randomly have parking lights and turn signals not work on hers. It's easy to check if it is indeed the stator. Since it may show good reading when tested , volt check until near death, it is just easier and quicker to pop off the stator cover and SEE if it is burning up. It will be obvious if it is beginning too. That was happens at first, overheats and randomly fails causing quick electrical shorts which appear as weird electrical GREMLINS.
Also, remember that thread hellsrazor made up about that stupid factory harness connector that fries/melts? It is hidden on left side kinda behind the frame rail on left side all hidden in factory wrapped electrical tape.
Much easier and faster to check the stator visually first.
I will do my best to dig up that older thread about the instrument cluster loosing memory presets.

#17 ·
My cure..,

I installed a Scorpio alarm on my 2006,back in early 2007.
When I completed the install,I installed the leads for the alarm between the battery terminal and the battery cable.A couple of days later it would give me a slow crank but eventually start.After doing this for a couple more days,I decided to place the bike on a overnight battery tender.
This worked fine for a couple more days and then the symptoms started reaccuring again slow crank.I took the battery to a Battery plus location and they tested the stock battery.It tested out fine under they're simulated load test.Reinstalled stock battery and hooked it back up to the tender.
Then my problems reaccured again,WTF!
This time it worked for a few more days then it died,battery was gone.I took it to be tested again and it was dead.
When I reinstalled the new AGM battery from batteries plus,I put the cables onto the battery terminals,then the leads for the alarm on top of the cables.
Since I changed the way I connected the cable and leads to the battery,I have not had the cranking slow drag,it previously had,something about the battery cable wasn't making a good enough connection between them the lead for the alarm and the terminal.I had the cranking problems for almost a year,I looked at my rectifier and stator,I tested voltage in and out of both components.
A simple turn around for my connections did it for me,it's been starting like a brand new bike since this simple fix in in 2008.

#20 ·
I have a alarm on my bike too so maybe my cables aren't making a good connection? :dontknow: I'll have to check it out?

I installed a Scorpio alarm on my 2006,back in early 2007.
When I completed the install,I installed the leads for the alarm between the battery terminal and the battery cable.A couple of days later it would give me a slow crank but eventually start.After doing this for a couple more days,I decided to place the bike on a overnight battery tender.
This worked fine for a couple more days and then the symptoms started reaccuring again slow crank.I took the battery to a Battery plus location and they tested the stock battery.It tested out fine under they're simulated load test.Reinstalled stock battery and hooked it back up to the tender.
Then my problems reaccured again,WTF!
This time it worked for a few more days then it died,battery was gone.I took it to be tested again and it was dead.
When I reinstalled the new AGM battery from batteries plus,I put the cables onto the battery terminals,then the leads for the alarm on top of the cables.
Since I changed the way I connected the cable and leads to the battery,I have not had the cranking slow drag,it previously had,something about the battery cable wasn't making a good enough connection between them the lead for the alarm and the terminal.I had the cranking problems for almost a year,I looked at my rectifier and stator,I tested voltage in and out of both components.
A simple turn around for my connections did it for me,it's been starting like a brand new bike since this simple fix in in 2008.

#18 · (Edited)
So even the GiPro is being reset and not just the Instrument cluster.
I would have to say Stator or rectifier issues.
Pop the stator cover off and see. Only 8 bolts and you can see if its burning up. The Stator is what recharges the battery. The rectifier sends voltage where needed.

#19 ·
I'm gonna check the stator I'm about to tear her apart to change the oil, clean the air filter, an do the valve adjustment so I'm gonna see? So if it's black lookin that means it's burning up? :dontknow:

#21 ·
My 06 zx10r does the samething since I bought it a year ago sometimes it would fire right up other times it acts like the battery is dead it would reset the cluster I have to hit the starter button twice to start it. It would also sometimes stall if I turn the high beam on right after I start the bike. I wonder if it's a bad cell in the battery?

#22 ·
Wow this must be a 2nd gen issue? Alot us have the same problem? :dontknow:

#27 ·
My thoughts exactly! There's been a few times when I was out on a ride far away an it acted like it didn't wanna start. And I was like nope this isn't the time to start actin up! :headshake Sometimes I was afraid to take a long trip in fear of that, but so far it hasn't let me down. But still would like to get the issue figured out!

#24 ·
I've got the same thing going on with my 2nd gen. It's an intermittent problem that has been going on since late last fall.

Stator checks out healthy.

A new battery made no difference.

I do have a GI Pro gear indicator/TRE thing and I do recall it showing a D sometimes. During install I had set it to 'hard' but have no idea if it's been completely reset. I doubt it does anything anyway.

I also have a Scorpio alarm so the cable hookups will have to be looked at. The Scorpio has saved my bike 3 times-the pager feature is incredible. They even honored a warranty claim a bit outside of the warranty period. Plus, when I have called with questions, a real live person that speaks and understands English always answers. Amazing!

The bike hasn't given me the starting hiccup in a while. Maybe it was mad at me for not riding enough. If I find anything funky I'll definitely post up.

#28 ·
Howcome nobody has brought up this issue before? :dontknow:

#30 ·
lol.....I hear you! As long as it's not breaking down on you right? We all were probably thinkin the same thing? That it was just a isolated issue an only happening to us? I know I was, but then I was like you know what let me ask the fellas if any of them are experiencing the same thing? Never would've thought it would be this many? :dontknow:

#31 ·
Seems like the GiPro is a common factor on everyone's bike that is doing it.

#32 ·
I do not have Gipro on my bike. Today I took the seat and the gas tank out just to check if there was anything loose I started with the battery connection everything look good there so I traced the positive cable to a box or a relay? It holds a 30 amp fuse I disconnected the connector and found a lot of corrosion some how the water got in there I cleaned everything and applied dielectric grease to all the connections we will see if that helps.

#33 ·
Do you wash your bike? Spray it with a hose or bucket wash? Just wondering how some of you guys get corrosion on electrical connections. I understand getting caught in rain can do same thing, but a lot of times it's the automotive car wash soap that causes those issues. I learned a long time ago to not wash my bike. Quick detailer spray and a microfiber towel on painted surfaces and old rags and detailer spray, bug/tar remover for the really dirty areas.

#36 ·
I don't know. I got HIDs and don't ride every week...go three weeks sometimes without starting and I don't use a tender. My stock 07 battery I just took out over winter and had drained it to ZERO when stator burned up. It is still good and holds a charge like a champ.
Anybody remember that thread hellsrazor did about that factory connector that is wrapped in electrical tape on left side frame rail that is prone to melting?

#37 ·
Anybody get anything figured out?:dontknow:

#39 ·
Doesnt seem to bother me right after I fill up :badteeth:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.