Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike isn't starting properly, never would've guessed that given the title right?!

Moving on though. So Weds i rode 7 hours back home and when i get home find out that i have an oil leak. Valve cover gasket was leaking (apparently a common issue with these bikes, but paid out the ass to overnight the gasket/get repaird). Anyways, the next morning i go to start my bike and she was dead. I knew the battery was old and i was planning to order a replacement while underway these next couple of months. So i jumped her and rode her about a half hour hoping that would be a good amount of time for the battery to get charged back up. Go to start her, dead. Get jumped, ride to subway, decide i'm going to leave her running and run into subway quick (that way she doesn't die). Well go figure, after about 4 minutes of her sitting there running in Neutral....she died.

So then, jump her with a portable cables, she couldn't keep running. Jump her with a car and take off quick and she managed to make it home. From there i went and replaced the battery. Hooked it up. And she started. She didn't start immediately though, it took a like flash or two of the gauge cluster going on/off for her to start. Same thing the following morning.

Now though, i got my gasket fixed, rode her home, she sat overnight, and then i came home to take off the clutch cable (because it's super frayed so i'll replace that money), and she's having trouble starting on her own. The gauge cluster will flash on/off like once and then the clicking noise comes. HOWEVER, if i hook my battery tender up and start it on the 55a Engine start setting...she starts (after letting it quick charge it for like a minute). But i checked the Volts and the battery when i try and start is sitting right around 11-12. It's brand new and fully charged.

So now, what is wrong with it? When i go to start her she's in Neutral so it can't be an issue with my clutch cable being off right now correct? Since it'll start once i help with that extra kick with the tender. So is there an issue with my starter? Or any other suggestions on what to check?

Sorry for the long post i just wanted to give the background to this issue and what not. Also, now whenever i do shut my bike off/turn her back on..it resets my trip odometer back to 0. Why would that happen? Thanks for the help!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Could be your Rectifier going bad

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Download the service manual, test your stator, 99.9% sure that's your problem, common on the G2.
You can probably just pull the cover, mist of the time it's very apparent when the coils are burnt

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,616 Posts
The battery is used to start the motor only. The alternator is used to keep the bike running and recharge the battery. The alternator puts out AC current and goes through a rectifier to change it to DC and cap it at 14 volts. If you can't measure greater than 12 volts while the engine is running, you have a charging issue. The battery alone cannot keep it running.

If it's a charging issue, either the rectifier/regulator is bad or its the alternator (which has a magnet and a stator). You'll need to get a multimeter and figure out where the problem is.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a starting issue though, not charging. Its a brand new battery and once it starts it runs fine. The issue is in actually starting it. It won't start unless I hook up the tender and add a better supply?

If rectifier and alternator are both running issues, then they shouldn't be my issue?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The Battery

THE BASICS

First things first. A 12-volt battery is not a 12-volt battery. Twelve volts is just a nominal, convenient term used to distinguish one battery from another. A fully-charged 12-volt battery, allowed to "rest" for a few hours (or days) with no load being drawn from it (or charge going to it), will balance out its charge and measure about 12.6 volts between terminals.

When a battery reads only 12 volts under the above conditions, it's almost fully depleted. Actually, if a battery's resting voltage is only 12.0 to 12.1 it means only 20 to 25% of its useful energy remains. It's either a goner or it has been deep cycled, and a battery can only be deep-cycled a limited number of times before it is indeed dead.

12-volt batteries supply useful energy only through a limited range -- from over 14 volts (when fully charged and unrested) down to 10.5 volts in use/under load (when lights dim, your motorcycle is hard to start). No 12-volt battery will remain at over 14 volts for more than seconds unless it's being charged. The lowest limit is 10.5 volts (used in testing) and obviously unsatisfactory in practical use.
source

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,616 Posts
Its a starting issue though, not charging. Its a brand new battery and once it starts it runs fine. The issue is in actually starting it. It won't start unless I hook up the tender and add a better supply?

If rectifier and alternator are both running issues, then they shouldn't be my issue?
I disagree. It sounds like a charging issue that is manifesting itself as a starting issue. If the bike is running completely off the battery and not getting recharged, the next time you go to start it, then you've got a starting issue. You need to verify the output from the stator and regulator to be sure the bike is getting recharged.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So guys it is indeed the stator, that bad boy is fried good. I'll have to order a replacement while I'm underway. I'm wondering though, is there supposed to be oil in there? I started to take off the stator cover and a bunch of oil came out and there was oil all over the inside and the stator, is it supposed to be like that? Given that it's electrics I'm just confused why there would be oil all in there. Unless it's for lubrication, but any insight on that?

Thanks for all the help from all of you too!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P.s are there anymore 'common issues' with the Gen 2 that i should know of because this weekend I had;

-stator burn out
-clutch cable fray out(i see that this is due to poor maintenance and i was unaware, so now i will be taking much better care of the new one)
-Valve cover gasket leaking oil

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,616 Posts
So guys it is indeed the stator, that bad boy is fried good. I'll have to order a replacement while I'm underway. I'm wondering though, is there supposed to be oil in there? I started to take off the stator cover and a bunch of oil came out and there was oil all over the inside and the stator, is it supposed to be like that? Given that it's electrics I'm just confused why there would be oil all in there. Unless it's for lubrication, but any insight on that?

Thanks for all the help from all of you too!

Glad i was right, but sorry you're having the issue. :wink: A small amount of oil will always be in there. It should be a small amount though, not like a quart. It's really to provide lubrication of the rotating magnet (rotor).

A lot of bikes experience the issues you're describing. They seem to be somewhat more prevalent on the G2, but no overly so. Depends on how it's maintained and ridden. The only thing I would add to that list is possibly cracked valve retainers. When you get the valve clearances checked you may notice this issue as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay cool because I started to open the case and some came out and I got somewhat concerned haha but I guess i'll have to add those cracked valve retainers to my list of things to get checked when I get home.

She's going in the shop when I get back to have new steering bearings put in because mine have some play in them. If there are cracked valve retainers is that an expensive fix?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Download the service manual, test your stator, 99.9% sure that's your problem, common on the G2.
You can probably just pull the cover, mist of the time it's very apparent when the coils are burnt
Just as I thought it would be. Rmstator.com is what I used and was happy, others use ricks stators, or you can go expensive and order oem...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts