Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys,

I searched about this but nothing relates to my problem . Maybe im not looking right direction .

here is my problem .

Started the bike took it for short ride ,reached my buddies place and chit chat for while . When i tried to start it back again i noticed the fuel pump was not making any noise and KEY icon came up in the display . no error code or FI light.

This same thing happened in dyno centre and they blamed it on the power commander which is now unplugged .

So I tried switching it off and on again few time then it worked . Even when i crank to start it the entire display on dash goes off but the bike started and ride it home without any issue.

This problem just happens off and on .

Tested the kick stand switch and it workes fine i cant start the bike or it kills the bike when i drop the stand .

I 've already check the manual but like i said there is no error code linking to imobiliser . The key is the same one i been using for last 3 years owning the bike. Its gen 3 2008 model .

I suspect its the battery as its never been changed for the last 4 years since its came out the dealers. Anyways will check the voltage shortly once he bike cools down .

Any of you have experienced this? all the fuses are fine . I've checked them .
The is no connection error as ive checked major connectors and sprayed and cleaned them with contact cleaner and wd40.

Recently done major valve clearance servis and bike has 50k km on it .

Again im suspecting battery because i've read somewhere before CCA can drop when the battery life span goes off even when voltage is showing 12v .

help me out guys.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes euro version with immobiliser. Any idea wat it could be ? Ive checked the wiring for key barrel to immobilser amplifier. Ill recheck again tomorrrow just to be sure .

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
It does not recognize the key.
It should be either the immobilizer or the key. Hopefully not the ECU..
Try with a friends immobilizer or get a used one from ebay.
Do you have another key to try (or the red key)?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does not recognize the key.
It should be either the immobilizer or the key. Hopefully not the ECU..
Try with a friends immobilizer or get a used one from ebay.
Do you have another key to try (or the red key)?

Yes i have both the red and spare key . Ive manage to replicate the problem today - i took out the immobilser amp and the same thing happened. then i just cleaned the contact points and plug back again . not the exact situation but the key icon appeared. im gona check rest of the wiring as its near to radiator and i just recently burped the radiator so might be some corrosion effect.

Ill keep a lookout . again if its ecu definately ill get service code but i didnt . just the key icon on dash and that happens when i remove the imobiliser amp . so gona check rest of the wiring to make sure they are not crimped or loose contact. as the problem was only for while then its was fine again . happened twice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok . done all the test for antenna and the amp . they are all fine as voltage and continuity reading is according to manual . only thing i noticed is the antena wiring is hidden on top of the valve cover where the manual says it should be right iner fairing.

Any ways the antenna connector housing was filled up with greasy dirt cleaned up all off them including the connector . Pluged them back in .

So that leaves me to key , so i changed to use another spare key as my current one show alot of wear and slightly bent.

Im not experiencing the problem now and there is no error code. From reading the manual this relates more to key identification failure , so i hope that the issue .

Will try out this new key and if the problem re-appears , i have to take it to kawasaki headquaters and burn my wallet.

Funny thing is my bike only started error msg lately and i didnt manage to retrieve the code the first time , after that i sent it for major service to kawi authorised dealer as he is a dynojet authorised dealer too and problem started one by one errors start to appear and he blamed on pc5 and servo eliminator but i told him to fuck off as they were working fine before it sent to him .

This key problem started also recently as i sent in to refine my dyno map as it was running rich and its FOC . Well let see how it goes.

Any idea how long the battery last on gen3 if u guys have the experience? or what was the lifespan average?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far with the new key there is no issue yet . havent been riding due to rain . so will keep this updated if problem comes back .

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Propably it's the key then.
Be careful not to have them very close to other keys or near magnets...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far its running good with new key no errors or anything . ill keep riding and update if anything weird happens.

So the interim solution for now was new key . Ill keep it updated incase anyone else need this info in future. .

Thanks to Skydork and tasos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts