Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a bike which needed a starter replacement. I got the original starter rebuilt. Now, I install it, and when I go to start, it gives a "thunk" and nothing more. At times, I hear it gives a clicking sound from around the battery area.

What could my issue be?

2005 Kawi ZX-10R w/20k miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bad connection, bad starter relay, or locked up engine.
Where is the starter relay located?

I did not know where to connect the starter positive terminal, because I was not the one to uninstall the starter.

I saw a wire coming from the battery to a little square device under the tank. I noticed a free space on the other side, and I connected the starter to that. Is that the starter relay?

How can I diagnose a faulty starter relay?

Is there a way I can test if the engine is locked up? When I bought the bike, I tried very hard to "bump start/Push start" it, but the bike could only be in 1st gear, and the wheels would slide. The mechanic told me that the compression on the engine makes it hard to bump start.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Where is the starter relay located?

I did not know where to connect the starter positive terminal, because I was not the one to uninstall the starter.

I saw a wire coming from the battery to a little square device under the tank. I noticed a free space on the other side, and I connected the starter to that. Is that the starter relay?

How can I diagnose a faulty starter relay?

Is there a way I can test if the engine is locked up? When I bought the bike, I tried very hard to "bump start/Push start" it, but the bike could only be in 1st gear, and the wheels would slide. The mechanic told me that the compression on the engine makes it hard to bump start.
Yes that's the starter relay. There are many ways that you can see if the engine is locked up, try bump starting it in 3rd gear or so, to lessen the compression, you can pull the spark plugs out and see if it will crank then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that's the starter relay. There are many ways that you can see if the engine is locked up, try bump starting it in 3rd gear or so, to lessen the compression, you can pull the spark plugs out and see if it will crank then.
Is there a way to put the bike in 3rd gear? I couldnt get it into 2nd gear, and I read that Kawasaki only allows 1st and neutral when the bike is off.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
yes, you can rock the bike back and forth while trying to put it in 2nd gear, eventually it will go in, then it'll upshift in the next gear like normal.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,201 Posts
To add to what thundercoupe has said above, you really should try rotating the motor through without using the starter. Take the timing cover off and put a wrench on the bolt for the timing rotor. Turn the wrench clockwise to make sure you can rotate the crank through and make sure the motor isn't locked up or the starter clutch isn't hosed for some reason.

As for the gearing, put the bike on the rear stand and spin the rear wheel by hand. Then you can upshift through the gears until you get the one you want before trying to bump start it. Or you can upshift it while pushing the bike along. I'd recommend 4th or 5th gear to try bumping it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
To test the starter relay use a multi-meter(find them cheap at harbor freight): Put the black wire on the negative terminal of the battery and then put the red wire of the multi-meter on the output side of the starter relay (the wire going to the starter), then press the starter button to see what kind of voltage you get. If its 0 when you push the button pull the red connector going to the top of the starter relay and check the fuse; if the fuse is fine, your relay is bad (side note, just because a relay clicks doesn't mean that it works). If you get low voltage then you need a new battery. If you get around 12V then check your starter; Is the positive lead tightened or cut that it's grounding out on the chassis? Are the mounting bolts tightened down enough to ground it? if yes, take the starter out of the bike and hook up 12V to it, does it spin? if it doesn't spin, your issue is your starter.

I literally just replaced my starter on my 05 10r myself and went thru all of those steps above and having to take the bike apart to get it out, so if you have any questions or need help feel free to message me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts