Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like my starter motor is going out. Anyone know where i can get a used one? A new one would vistva few hundred $. Ive tried a few sslvage yards in my area with no luck.
Tganjs

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ended up locating a used starter off a 2013 zx10r. Took a couple of hours to install. Works perfectly now. Glad to have her back on the streets.

Reactions: scout

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Ended up locating a used starter off a 2013 zx10r. Took a couple of hours to install. Works perfectly now. Glad to have her back on the streets.
Where did you end up finding one, and for how much? Mine crapped out on my Gen4 as well and I was lucky to find one for a decent price on eBay. I've heard of a few Gen5's going out as well so I know this will happen at some point :rollseyes:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also found one on ebay.

Reactions: dudewhrsmybike

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cant get to it from the side because thermostat housing in the way. Gotta take off air box and throttle bodies to get to all screws and to remove starter from top. Does not slide out from side. Starter too large.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did..service manual states to remove air box and throttle bodies. Cannot just slide it out of side. Its not just the thermostat its the entire housing that needs to come off, and with that out of the way the top portion of the clutch cover is also in the way.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I don't remember everything I did to replace mine a few years back, just remember it being a PITA. The starter would not come out, I had to improvise and put a rope around it to pull it out lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts