Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well seeing how its winter and freezing ass cold here in IL I decided to change some things up on the Ten. My list of projects has slowly been getting longer for the last couple month and I finally got to ordering parts and getting started. As for my list it consists of -- Brisk plugs, routing the cc breather to the air valves, relocating my PC3 and Ign., 82lbs clutch springs, low friction wheel bearings, adjustable rear links, brocks straps up front, check for the '08 "gap", gonna move my forks up a bit for a better sag setting. I think thats about it.... I'm gonna try to post up somewhat step by step pics of some of the stuff to help out.

So this morning after waiting 2 hours for my wood burner to get the garage up to temp I started tearing down. I am still waiting for my plugs to come in, but I went ahead and got everything ready for them.

IMG_0176.JPG
Tank and mids removed
IMG_0177.JPG
Air box removed
IMG_0183.JPG
I also removed the front fairing to make geting the coil sticks out
IMG_0190.JPG
There are also engine bracket on each side under the fairing that should be removed
IMG_0184.JPG
Here all the sticks are out, the 2 centers are easy just pull up and they come out. The outer 2 are a little more tricky, once you get them popped loose you need to bring them up as far as you can while tilting them forward. After a little wiggling they should come.

I went ahead and relocated my PC and my speedohealer while I had things apart. Pics are kinda self explanatory. Things are a little(alot) tight but after 20 or so combination's I got it all to fit.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Looks like a pretty good start. So other than wiggling does any extra voodoo need to happen to get the plugs out?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
if you still have the front end off the bike can u messure up the front hole in the frame for the ramair i need to see if the 08 ram air duckt will work on my 04-05 zx10r frame

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looks like a pretty good start. So other than wiggling does any extra voodoo need to happen to get the plugs out?
Not really, Just take your time and it will come.

Subscribed!

I put both my PC3 and Ignition Module in the tail section and really liked the final set up. I never carry anything in there anyway.

If you have the "08 gap" I have some FREE shims. PM me.

I also am using ceramic bearings, (low friction).
I was gonna go with the ceramics but couldnt bring my self to spend the money. I just went with some non-contact seals

if you still have the front end off the bike can u messure up the front hole in the frame for the ramair i need to see if the 08 ram air duckt will work on my 04-05 zx10r frame
It is 3" wide 3 7/8" tall

·
Registered
860 Posts
Lookin good man! Let me know if you need anything. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
2 questions....

1. You removed the plugs just like that without removing the engine brackets?

2. Does your pitbull front stand hit the nose fairing when you lift the bike up?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
2 questions....

2. Does your pitbull front stand hit the nose fairing when you lift the bike up?
1- I'm also curious about that.

2- Mine rubs when setting it up, but once it's in the air it doesn't touch.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
2 questions....

No, I had to remove the brackets

Nope, I got the "new" front stand with a #15 pin. Its definitely tight, but didn't notice any contact

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I put all my "gadgets" in the tail section. I may relocate them a little lower like you did after get a carbon speed battery. I don't use my "so called" storage either, I just want to lower as much weight as possible.

I also went with the sealed non-contact bearings. They're not ceramic, but way better than stock. Well worth the $. Normally about $60 I think.

I'm willing to bet, you have a gap in the forks.:mrgreen: I made some spacers that actually "fit". Spacers would be fine, but I change my tires too often.

FWIW, My forks are up 6mm and my Pit Bull front stands w/ #15 pin fits fine. A little tight, but it will slide in without touching anything.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah after looking at the stock bat I might have to go the carbon speed way to. When I get the plugs and air box back together I plan on checking the alt output at idle to see if I can get away with the 4 cell

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I grabbed a ac/dc clamp from work but prolly won't test until next weekend

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Not really, Just take your time and it will come.

I was gonna go with the ceramics but couldnt bring my self to spend the money. I just went with some non-contact seals

It is 3" wide 3 7/8" tall
I put all my "gadgets" in the tail section. I may relocate them a little lower like you did after get a carbon speed battery. I don't use my "so called" storage either, I just want to lower as much weight as possible.

I also went with the sealed non-contact bearings. They're not ceramic, but way better than stock. Well worth the $. Normally about $60 I think.

I'm willing to bet, you have a gap in the forks.:mrgreen: I made some spacers that actually "fit". Spacers would be fine, but I change my tires too often.

FWIW, My forks are up 6mm and my Pit Bull front stands w/ #15 pin fits fine. A little tight, but it will slide in without touching anything.
where did you guys get these bearings? can you please shoot me a pm so i can find some! thanks!!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I know have a clamp-on ammeter that will read DC current. Most clamp on's will only read AC. This is the first DC version of a clamp on I have seen. As soon as the temperature is out of the teens, I am going to measure the current draw and post it up.

I doubt the 4 cell will get it done. But, at this point, :dontknow:
Alright damnit! I'm gonna have to ignore your posts to keep my self esteem.:lol:

I spent almost $250 on a Fluke 335 amp clamp and it does not read DC current. I give up...:spit:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats what I was gonna test, also gonna see how much charging amps there are at idle. On a side note my clutch springs and spark plugs came in today!!!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You dont happen to know the specs on the 4 cell do you MM? I searched around a bit but couldnt find them

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Well my work amp clamp does check DC current. It's a Fluke 336. I will check mine after I get it put back together just to comare #'s. I have my throttle bodies off at the moment.

I'm going to order the 8 cell battery regaurdless. That's a fantastic weight savings for the $!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a good amount of stuff done today....The plugs weren't to bad, the 2 inner plugs are pretty straight forward and I found that if you use a standard plug socket and a 3in. extension it puts the socket right above the head.
IMG_0213.JPG

Here is a comparison between the stockers and the new Brisk plugs
IMG_0214.JPG

I also routed the cc breather up to the exhaust valves and then connected the 2 wires on the plug to the air valve together to not get a FI light.
IMG_0215.JPG

I then moved on to the suspension. FYI the jack for a '99 F-150 fits under the shocker perfectly to jack it up.
IMG_0218.JPG

After jacking up the rear I loosened the nuts for the stock links and removed the left one. I left then right side in with the bolts through it so I could adjust the Soupy's links to the stock links.
IMG_0217.JPG

Here are the Soupy's links installed
IMG_0220.JPG

With the rear all back together I moved to the front. After removing the calipers I loosened the axle nut to check for the "gap". IMG_0221.JPG

To my pleasant surprise I don't have the "gap":ayyy:
IMG_0222.JPG

With the front wheel off I then loosened the upper and lower fork clamps to move the forks up in the triples, which turned out to be very easy. I had never had the forks loose before so I was kinda leery.
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0228.JPG

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now that I had the suspension put to bed I dumped the oil and pulled the clutch cover off to install the new spings.
IMG_0231.JPG

I just loosened one spring at a time and replaced them.
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0233.JPG

I had 3 of the springs come out as normal and 3 of them came out with the sub spring bolts. No big deal, just slapped some loctite on them and torqued them back down.
IMG_0235.JPG

Just needed to bolt the cover back on and I was done for the night. I will be having my tires mounted up this week and will most likely install my new bearings into the wheels. Hopefully I will have everything back together next weekend.

·
Registered
462 Posts
damn dude.... when do you want to start on my bike...lol!!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
have you rode the bike with the new springs?
what kind of difference is it going to make?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts