Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a problem with the bike not starting right away and running real rich at idle.Also fouling out the plugs.When it got to normal temp after i got it to start finally.It would load up and start to run real bad and black smoke out the exhaust till it cleared out.Then it would do it all over again.I changed the plugs ,no good.I thought maybe the PVCIII went bad or a problem with a sensor.No FI light No codes or nothing.Just a hard starting shitty running bike.I had some time today to mess with it and found the problem to be the fuel was bad in my tank.It didn't smell stale or bad but when I drained my tank it looked like piss.I put fresh fuel in it and it ran and started perfect.I found out the 10% ethanol in it caused it to go bad sooner than fuel with no ethanol.It also attracts water due to ethanol being alcohol and it didn't smell bad at all.The fuel in my tank was only a month to a month and a half old.It also turns out a racing buddy of mine calls me up and his bike is doing the same thing as mine.He has a second gen 10 and I told him to Drain the tank and get some fresh fuel.He called me back an hour later thanking me for the tip.His bike ran awesome.I found that star tron fuel additive is a fuel stable for gas with 10% ethanol and is recommended when your bike is put in storage.you guys who put your bikes in storage for winter should put something in the tank like an additive if your fuel has 10% ethanol in it.Google it if you need.Just a thought.:helmet:

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,128 Posts
:+1: sell tons of it at the shop. really good stuff
I just had a problem with the bike not starting right away and running real rich at idle.Also fouling out the plugs.When it got to normal temp after i got it to start finally.It would load up and start to run real bad and black smoke out the exhaust till it cleared out.Then it would do it all over again.I changed the plugs ,no good.I thought maybe the PVCIII went bad or a problem with a sensor.No FI light No codes or nothing.Just a hard starting shitty running bike.I had some time today to mess with it and found the problem to be the fuel was bad in my tank.It didn't smell stale or bad but when I drained my tank it looked like piss.I put fresh fuel in it and it ran and started perfect.I found out the 10% ethanol in it caused it to go bad sooner than fuel with no ethanol.It also attracts water due to ethanol being alcohol and it didn't smell bad at all.The fuel in my tank was only a month to a month and a half old.It also turns out a racing buddy of mine calls me up and his bike is doing the same thing as mine.He has a second gen 10 and I told him to Drain the tank and get some fresh fuel.He called me back an hour later thanking me for the tip.His bike ran awesome.I found that star tron fuel additive is a fuel stable for gas with 10% ethanol and is recommended when your bike is put in storage.you guys who put your bikes in storage for winter should put something in the tank like an additive if your fuel has 10% ethanol in it.Google it if you need.Just a thought.:helmet:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts