Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lee's Performance Center has a stage I kit for $1700. And you get a full tiforce system pcIIIusb custom map and air filter. Do you think this is a good deal? I know his work with the dyno and mapping is good because two of my friends took there 05 suz 1000 to him and they are making good hp. Lee's shop is in charlotte Nc anyone had there 10r done at his shop? Lee also told me that he just did a stage 4 kit on a 10r that made 184hp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,634 Posts
I'd like to know exactly what they've done to achieve 184 rwhp, but it must be a fair bit of work involved. Although remember that Lee's dyno is notoriously optimistic in comparison with others. I heard they were dynoing K5's with full systems in the 170's. Some enthusiastic owners then dyno'd them on different dynos which saw about 10hp less and "only" in the 160's.

In the future, if I still have my 10R, I would love to bump the displacement to 1050+cc's with new pistons, high compression head gasket, kawi race cam with higher rate valve springs, and ignition advance and rev limiter extender (dynojet). I guess maybe get a nice valve port and polishing while we're at it. That's gotta be good for nearly 190ish+ rwhp.
 

·
I really need to get out of the house
Joined
·
11,176 Posts
Mad_man said:
Lee's Performance Center has a stage I kit for $1700. And you get a full tiforce system pcIIIusb custom map and air filter. Do you think this is a good deal?
You need to find out how much a TiForce system, a PC3, and a custom map would cost seperately to determine if it's a good deal. Of course they're charging for the install too.

Do a search, it's all in here somewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Lees stage 4 included a big bore, cams, head etc etc and maybe even a stroked crank. I have talked to him about that stage 4 zx-10 and it is not cheap for sure.

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
I would be carefull. I live in charlotte and have seen some very nice work from him, I have also seen some cobbled up shit too. I do not trust other people very much. I am anal as hell and most places do not do the work to my satisfaction. If you know anything about mapping, tryto be there while they are doing it. It is amazing the corner cutting some people take if you are not there. Don't buy the air filter, it is a waste of money, it is worth about 1hp but they let alot of crap through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
madkaw said:
I would be carefull. I live in charlotte and have seen some very nice work from him, I have also seen some cobbled up shit too. I do not trust other people very much. I am anal as hell and most places do not do the work to my satisfaction. If you know anything about mapping, tryto be there while they are doing it. It is amazing the corner cutting some people take if you are not there. Don't buy the air filter, it is a waste of money, it is worth about 1hp but they let alot of crap through.
:+1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
madkaw said:
I would be carefull. I live in charlotte and have seen some very nice work from him, I have also seen some cobbled up shit too. I do not trust other people very much. I am anal as hell and most places do not do the work to my satisfaction. If you know anything about mapping, tryto be there while they are doing it. It is amazing the corner cutting some people take if you are not there. Don't buy the air filter, it is a waste of money, it is worth about 1hp but they let alot of crap through.

Like a lot of businesses that have more than one person there is always some variation in the work quality. If you get the lead man or Lee doing the work you are good to go. And yes Lee does personally build engine still to this day. I work with him 1-2 times a year on various project bikes for the magazine articles and he usually personally does my work. He also spends a lot of time dyno tuning the final products too. Often when I call he is on the dyno.

So if you want your work done there just specify up front which mechanic you want to do the work. Its done all the time there.


Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,634 Posts
According to their website, the stage 4 on the ZX10R does not receive a bump is displacement. Well, at least the one that dyno'd 184 rwhp. It does get a ported head, a "custom" camshaft, and higher compression ratio (thinner headgasket?). With the bump in displacement 1040cc, the 10R should be close to the 200rwhp area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
ive personally never had any contact with this "lee" person, but being from nc ive heard a lot, but unfortunately only bad things. Ive heard people firsthand say the gains he claims are bs, and his work is crap, but i :dontknow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Pressley10r said:
ive personally never had any contact with this "lee" person, but being from nc ive heard a lot, but unfortunately only bad things. Ive heard people firsthand say the gains he claims are bs, and his work is crap, but i :dontknow:
Just remember not to put too much stock in words and rumors and believe what you see in the record books. Lee personally holds numerous records in land speed racing from bikes he built for himself and others including a true 200 mph GSXR1000, a 213 mph nitrous busa and of course the 260 mph turbo busa that he rides for Rich Yancy.

so like him or not you cant deny the simple fact that he builds some of the fastest bikes in the world.

don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,259 Posts
Well, you got to put a few good pieces out there to draw in the business. It works like this. My best friend builds Race Car chassis. He owns the company and makes a decent living. The problem is in this business neither he or Lee can control everything going on in their shop at one time. If they are going to succeed they have to grow with employees. If they want to continue to JUST scrape by and live a so so life style and continue to work from dusk to dawn than they can continue to do everything by themselves. Piss poor employees is what kills a skill oriented shop like Lee's. I'm sure Lee himself knows his shit. He's just having some problems watchin it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
Gunner said:
Well, you got to put a few good pieces out there to draw in the business. It works like this. My best friend builds Race Car chassis. He owns the company and makes a decent living. The problem is in this business neither he or Lee can control everything going on in their shop at one time. If they are going to succeed they have to grow with employees. If they want to continue to JUST scrape by and live a so so life style and continue to work from dusk to dawn than they can continue to do everything by themselves. Piss poor employees is what kills a skill oriented shop like Lee's. I'm sure Lee himself knows his shit. He's just having some problems watchin it.
true words to live by i'm afraid.

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
I have everything, but the airfilter in that stage 1 kit. I only got 9 hp with a custom map. Most of that was in the high rpm. $1,700 is a rip off. Goto Hardracing.com, and you'll get a TiForce full system with a free PC3USB for less then $1,200. Another $250 for a true custom map, and you have still spent less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw the Tiforce on hardracing.com at that price and I did some seaching on the forum and other place and found the tiforce and other system cheaper. And most full system only gain more hp on the top end and I really don't ride in the upper rpm that much so i guess a slip-on would be better for my riding style more low and mid range. So I was thinking about the Arata, Sato or Micron slip on but since lexusrx is having a blowout sale on the Sato for really good price I am going with the Sato slip on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
How far are plannig on going with power mods? If you plan to overbore, or anything more agressive a full system is a better way to go. The day I bought this bike I knew I was going to overbore it one day.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top