Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 2005 zx10 last night, comming from a 600 this bike is nuts!!!! 1st and 2nd is worthless ya just look at the stars.....anywho, so i see it dosent have a steering stabilizer and i see some people puting them on. My question is, is the stabilizer a must have or something i should do, or is it a waste of $400?? im fairly new to bikes so please be easy, thankyou for your time, btw this site rocks

·
Registered
905 Posts
must have if you are gonna truly RIDE this bike, upgrade the brakes with zx14 calipers and stainless lines, it will feel like a brand new bike. I was told to do the same when I bought mine and it took me 6 months to realize all the stories were true...if your tires, chain, and sprocket are all good, stabilizer and brake upgrade should be the only thing on your mind right now

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is the purpose of it and what would happen if not installed, i dont plan on wheelies its actually gonna get a small stretch and lower since wheelies is what helped me crash my last bike.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You are new to bikes and you crashed a 6 just to hop on a liter bike? and that too you picked the 1st gen zx10? LOL! good luck buddy, be easy on that throttle, it will catch you off guard. that stabilizer that you don't have yet will save your life. i wouldn't stall on it.

heres one example of what it can save you from. you don't have to be doing a wheelie for you to have a tank slapper btw

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sport bikes have a short wheel base and an aggressive steering geometry to provide the ability to make very quick changes in direction. This has the generally undesirable side-effect of making the bike less stable, more prone to feedback from uneven road surfaces, and more difficult to control.[1] In addition, their light weight and powerful engine can cause frequent wheelies. If the front wheel significantly deviates from the direction of travel when it touches down, it may cause an unwanted wobble. Steering dampers are factory installed on some high-end sport motorcycles and fitted to most contemporary racing bikes to counter these behaviours.

Steering dampers are also mounted to off-road motorcycles such as motocross bikes[2]. A damper helps keep the bike tracking straight over difficult terrain such as ruts, rocks, and sand, and also smooths out jolts through the handlebars at the end of jumps. They also reduce arm fatigue on longer rides by reducing the amount of effort needed to control the handlebars.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Get one. Only takes having the wheel crossed a little on a wheel skimmer to make you wish it was there. Headshake or worse.

They left it off knowing that people had their own preferences on dampers.

Then it was the only complaint mags could find so they put them on the newer bikes but due to lawyers, they aren't full scale dampers which is why people mod them to be able to be dialed to a stiffer setting.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i guess ill be more specific, i bought my 2008 gsxr600 in late 2007 and crashed 6 months ago, before that i had a raptor 700r, and before that i raced shifter carts, so by no means am i new to the speed and brute power.....With that being said this bike is a wheelie machine for sure, and the steering damper will be purchased next friday on pay day for sure cuz the head shake is something i deffinantly dont wanna experience, and the road is something i dont wanna kiss again....thankyou all for your input it has helped a great deal, thankyou

1 - 9 of 9 Posts