Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm new in this page. I bought a 2018 ZX-10R last January. It came with a stabilizer, but I was wondering if it's actually needed or not. I'm thinking about removing it. Thoughts?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,778 Posts
Welcome!

The stabilizer is one of those things that may or may not be needed depending on your set up and how you ride. Some people thing it's crap and try their hardest to update it so it can lock the steering for them. Others think it's fine the way it is and have no issues with it. The only person who can answer that question is YOU! Pull it off and try it out that way. If you want to remove it, you would have to disassemble it and retain the drive motor so it won't throw a fault code for the ECU.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,778 Posts
Not sure what you mean.
JD is one of the people I was trying to describe. Depending on who you talk to, it's just a matter of time until you will need the damper. That's what he means by the tank slapper which is what the damper is intended to prevent. A tank slapper is a rapid, divergent steering shake that will result in a crash typically.

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
706 Posts
OP, not sure if you've ever experienced a bad tank slapper before. Personally, I'll never ride without a stabilizer again. If I buy a bike that doesn't come with one, I'm going to find one to put on. I vividly recall an incident back in 2001 when I had a bad tank slapper on my R1 (it didn't come with a stabilizer as did a lot of bikes back then) and I saw my life flash before my eyes when I nearly went down. The fact that that our bikes come with an Ohlins contributed to my decision to buy this bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In the end you need to be at peace with your decision. My personal stance: I race 300s and 400s with no stabilizer and feel confident doing so. Many races and track sessions built this confidence. For my middle weight bikes and larger I will always ride with one as I feel they are far more prone to slappy behavior! ZX-10 = stabilizer for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts