Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding for a short while yesterday and just for kicks I tried to tally up how many squids I ran into. Previously, it seemed like just by coincidence that most of the squids were riding the GSXRs but maybe it's just me. So I figured that as best I could, I would try to make an exact count of which bike the squids are riding the most. We're talking about the hard core ones- swirving through dense traffic, sneakers, shorts, no helmet, t-shirt, etc. The works.

I counted 5 squids that made it into the hard core type where they had every trait going. All 5 of them were GSXR riders. Now I'm not going to jump to a squid=GSXR theory but has anyone else noticed a slightly higher ratio of GSXR riders being squidly vs Honda, Yamaha, and Kawi riders?

·
Registered
681 Posts
i know of one gixxer squid, and one r6 squid, and one zx6 squid, and even a zx10 squid. they're all over but at least the ones i know are dispursed through the brands. but every squid i see that i dont know is on a gixxer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It all just depends i guess. I dont consider myself a squid. I wear my jacket & lid & gloves-- all other gear I'm still raising enuff finances to purchase.

But at the same time, i do enjoy the occasional weaving thru traffic on the highway & backroad runs.. Thats about as squidly as I go... Just saying -its such a large gray area when it comes to 'squids' . Best you can measure it, is by degrees of squidliness lol.

But I think you're right for the most part squids gravitate towards gsx's. After that its just a matter of what they can afford.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I think you-we may see more squids on gixxers because there are probably more of those bikes sold and on the streets......probably like a 7 to 1 ratio here, everyone has a zuk!!! so it would only make sense that you'd see more squidwards on gixxers.....maybe?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I would have to say that it seems like out here there are equal amounts of yamaha and gixxer squids. At the same time i'm sure people have seen me cruising to the gas station 2 blocks from my house with no lid and figured me for a squid, so its kinda hard to say for sure.....

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think we've all acted somewhat squidly at some point or another. Hell I've ridden my 10 without any gear just to see what it's like. I didn't care for it much.

I think most squids do gravitate to the gixxers because it has some big gaudy "R" on it. Sort of like those "ricers" you see with some beat up civic with a fart can. Oh oh but it has a TYPE R badge on it! lol

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think we've all acted somewhat squidly at some point or another. Hell I've ridden my 10 without any gear just to see what it's like. I didn't care for it much.

I think most squids do gravitate to the gixxers because it has some big gaudy "R" on it. Sort of like those "ricers" you see with some beat up civic with a fart can. Oh oh but it has a TYPE R badge on it! lol
It makes it faster. Serious, I added a GT badge to my pinto and it gained 35hp!!!!!!!

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts

I fuggin hate those damn things!!!!! i see them on every little car around here!! autozone should stop selling them!!:lol:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fuggin hate those damn things!!!!! i see them on every little car around here!! autozone should stop selling them!!:lol:
Autozone is ricer central. They never have any parts I need but they ahve a million wings, 5" tips, stickers, etc. What a joke. I like Advance and Napa.

@chogue - I got you beat by a mile. 3 Type R stickers, and I have the "ivtec" sticker. This is all on a Toyota. Let me tell you something, I picked up 40FWHP but the wing on the back helps the car put the power down! :lol:

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think we've all acted somewhat squidly at some point or another. Hell I've ridden my 10 without any gear just to see what it's like. I didn't care for it much. lol
True!!! As much as it pains me... last week I rode to work without my jacket in 5 years :bitchslap I felt so stupid, and couldn't help wondering how many people talked trash as I passed 'em.

For the squidly-didlies.... I've noticed locked elbows and bald tire centers with a dash of a mohawk or 2 -- almost all of which are on the gix1Million. :spankbw:

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
We have squids on all brands here in the Ft. Hood Area. I have even seen kawi riders in tank tops and that icon chest/back armor vests and helmet mohawks. But the most common brand is suzuki and they usually ride in sneakers, shorts and that stupid chrome nazi helmet or have a helmet strapped to the bike ride with no helmet. Then the harley riders even have a few with the long leather strap hanging off the bar, the ape hanger riders, or the I can drink beer all day long and ride the harley because it is american made. There are dumb-azzes in all walks of life.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
i know of one gixxer squid, and one r6 squid, and one zx6 squid, and even a zx10 squid. they're all over but at least the ones i know are dispursed through the brands. but every squid i see that i dont know is on a gixxer.
the sad part is around my area most are ZX10 squids

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
I saw a Busa noob the other day. At least he was in a huge parking lot but you could tell it was either his first Busa, or (oh geeze) his first bike. That has got to be a hand full.

Gixxers seem to attract squids, it's like squid bait... and yes, I have owned one {shame}

The first time I rode with all the gear, the pants, the jacket, the Pnumatic spine protector... I felt like I was in a frick'n straigh jacket...

now I feel naked with out it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't think that the whole what you wear (or are lacking to wear) should count you as a squid. I've never had enough money to buy great riding gear so I made up for it in other ways. Hoodie underneath a leather jacket, gloves, lid, and a pair of denim jeans with another oversized pair of thick denim jeans over that hahaha. I wear boots when I can but I have to admit on some occasions I've made the choice to be in a t-shirt, jeans, and skate shoes. Now I know it's not a good thing to do at all but I don't have a full race outfit just lying around at all times especially when my GIXXER 7/11 was my daily driver and my next bike is more than likely going to be as well. Sometimes I had to compromise and be especially careful. Now a squid in my book is some one who doesn't pay attention to what they are doing and has a complete lack of respect for everyone else on the road. Just buys a bike (usually with daddy's money) to look cool. Those that like to sit in a parking lot and burn the rear tire of the rim or fly past you at 100mph on one wheel. Those are the true squids.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not hating the bikes. They are great bikes. All of the brands are competitive with one another and they are all good.

Just that so many of the gsxr riders around here are very squidly

·
Registered
190 Posts
well in my neck of the woods its the R6 guys that are the idiots. for some reson everyone out here has one. i have the only zx10 in a pretty good distance. out of ten riders its ussaly 8 r6 and 2 cbr600

·
Registered
184 Posts
Its not that GSXR riders are squids. Its generally that the people who ride GSXR's know nothing about bikes or gear. Most of them I have ran into are honestly just posers who ride a GSXR because its a GSXR. Heck even when I rode my Katana around, I took off all the stickers minus the Suzuki on the tank, I had so many GSXR riders say "Hey man what year GSXR is that". They are just un-informed riders. I am not bashing the bike at all, they are very fast and very nice. It reminds me of the kids who drive around stock civics, they think they are fast because of The Fast and Furious. Its the same concept.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts