Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an annoying squeak that appears around 10mph going at about 20-25 mph i have soaking lubed chain, new pads in the front with copper slip grease, the only thing i have not done is re greased the rear pads but i cant suss out what it is anyone else got this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
yes i,ve got same thing, only up to 30 mph. Tried same things as you and still have squeak ! Cant hear it when spining wheels with bike on stands, dealers less than helpfull ! Always ear plugs ! !

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i,ve got same thing, only up to 30 mph. Tried same things as you and still have squeak ! Cant hear it when spining wheels with bike on stands, dealers less than helpfull ! Always ear plugs ! !
yes i tried it on a paddock stand wheels in the air, still squeaks like a mouse, arrrghh

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe you guys need to lube your axle's?
cheers axles don't spin but i will look at my bearings next that was next on my list, as i cant have a 1 year old bike sounding like an old wheelbarrow.:dontknow:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cush drive

cured it! it was the cush drive it needed greasing. dont jet wash ya wheels !

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
What is the cush drive? The wheel bearing seals?
cush drives is the rubber inserts between the inside of sprocket hub and rear rim.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I must say though what ever you did abadassbikerlad to the cush drive had nothing to do with your squeak but most likely the high pressure water you have been using. The hub and rim area are always dry and don't require grease. If I where you I would check out and grease the rear axle and also make sure the rear bearings are good...but to call the resolution by putting grease in the cush drive area just doesn't sound right :headshake:

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
If your cush drive has taken a hammering ,i.e clutching up wheelies ,it will eventually get sloppy and start to squeak, I would check how much rotation you get at the sprocket with the rear brake applied.Applying grease will only allow the cush drive to move even more in its housing.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
If your cush drive has taken a hammering ,i.e clutching up wheelies ,it will eventually get sloppy and start to squeak, I would check how much rotation you get at the sprocket with the rear brake applied.Applying grease will only allow the cush drive to move even more in its housing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it was the cush drive

no i dont hammer up wheelies the cush drive is partly glued in and partly greased as stock, it runs dry from excessive use in bad weather or jet washing. my mates zx10r has the high pitched squeak coming out of his dry wheel bearing dust seals. it sounded nothing like it and you could not create the squeak as it happened from 10 mph on a paddock stand.
his squeaks from just lifting up the front wheel and spinning, mine never.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I would check how much rotation you get at the sprocket with the rear brake applied.Applying grease will only allow the cush drive to move even more in its housing.
:+1:

abadassbikerlad no i dont hammer up wheelies the cush drive is partly glued in and partly greased as stock, it runs dry from excessive use in bad weather or jet washing. my mates zx10r has the high pitched squeak coming out of his dry wheel bearing dust seals. it sounded nothing like it and you could not create the squeak as it happened from 10 mph on a paddock stand.
his squeaks from just lifting up the front wheel and spinning, mine never.
To add the Cush drive doesn't run dry because it comes stock that way. I have removed my current Kawi and past Kawi many many times and there is no grease in the cush drive section. The rear sprocket hub should be hard to mate with the rear rim as well to create a tight fit.

As bad as it sounds you most likely got rubber problems :badteeth: . I know that's what you don't want to hear and if you don't address it and call it good by installing grease,well then good luck to ya.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts