Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I've been having this issue for 3 months now....
My 07 will sputter usually taking off from a stand still (stop signs, lights etc) sound like it will run on 3 cylinders for a second or 2? This won't happen above 2500 RPM

Sometimes on Decel it will jerk a tiny bit easily ignorable.
I don't like it at all

I've changed plugs twice and ignition coils... Tried using fuel injector cleaner which would not help... Im worried if it can be compression. Just wondering if it's a possible fuel pump issue or Injectors I also need a valve adjustment done but I don't know if this can be a contributing possibility either forgive my lack of knowledge. If any anyone can give me a idea what to do next I would really appreciate it.:)

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Well, it could be any of the things you mentioned. If the valve adjustments haven't been done before, then it's time. That should affect the whole range of speeds and not just the low end if that's off. So it points to the fueling. Yes, the injectors could be part of the problem, but based on the age of the bike it's more likely the fuel pump and fuel filter. The fuel filter is integral to the pump itself and difficult to replace by itself. If it's partially clogged, it would affect the low-end more than anywhere else. That would be the most likely scenario causing the issue with the stumbling.

There are some older threads about replacing just the fuel filter. It requires disassembling the fuel pump after you remove it and replace the filter with a cross-referenced Suzuki part. It's been done before and you should be able to search here for it, but it is not a straightforward easy replacement. Replacing the whole fuel pump would be the best way to go to solve any issues with that as it does the pump and filter together. And no, that pour in fuel system cleaner shit doesn't do anything. So using that stuff really didn't help. Start with the fuel pump and go that way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it could be any of the things you mentioned. If the valve adjustments haven't been done before, then it's time. That should affect the whole range of speeds and not just the low end if that's off. So it points to the fueling. Yes, the injectors could be part of the problem, but based on the age of the bike it's more likely the fuel pump and fuel filter. The fuel filter is integral to the pump itself and difficult to replace by itself. If it's partially clogged, it would affect the low-end more than anywhere else. That would be the most likely scenario causing the issue with the stumbling.

There are some older threads about replacing just the fuel filter. It requires disassembling the fuel pump after you remove it and replace the filter with a cross-referenced Suzuki part. It's been done before and you should be able to search here for it, but it is not a straightforward easy replacement. Replacing the whole fuel pump would be the best way to go to solve any issues with that as it does the pump and filter together. And no, that pour in fuel system cleaner shit doesn't do anything. So using that stuff really didn't help. Start with the fuel pump and go that way.
Thank you. My first suspicion was the pump. I will do that first which is what I should've done after changing coils and plugs. My local mechanics kept assuring me it wasn't the pump They kept telling me it was most likely compression but I am skeptical of that anyways.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Thank you. My first suspicion was the pump. I will do that first which is what I should've done after changing coils and plugs. My local mechanics kept assuring me it wasn't the pump They kept telling me it was most likely compression but I am skeptical of that anyways.
Compression and leak down checks are fairly easy to do to rule that out. It's a possibility, but not likely based on the other symptoms IMO. The pump causing low or interrupted fuel pressure at the low engine speeds seems the most likely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts