Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking in to gearing my bike and just wanted some opinions from people who have done this and what setup you went with. Was it a worthy investment in your opinion and what brand did you decide? Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
914 Posts
The 2011 + ZX10R needs re gearing badly.

Over gearing is the cheap way for manufacturers to get there bikes through testing and get them approved for road use.

Apart from the ECU restrictions the american models received I beleive that the super long gearing these bikes have stock is largely to blame for some of the poor write ups they received in comparison to other things like the BMW.

I change my gearing track depending, but no matter what my front is always at -1 and the rear is at least +1,2 or 3.

For the road go -1 at the front and see what you think.

I run AFAM sprockets but there are lots of good brands.

·
Registered
914 Posts
- 1 at the front makes your chain slightly longer, going up in the rear makes it shorter again, so to speak.

I'd definately go -1 in the front and if your going to do the rear go +2 to make enough of a difference to realy feel it, new sprockets should realy be fitted with a new chain for optimum wear, longevity and chain length.
Get an X-ring chain if you buy another.

You can work out the ratio of any front and rear combination by dividing the number of teeth on your rear sprocket by the number of teeth on your front sprocket, it helps if you have a variety of sprockets and are looking for a small change (example, you're hitting the limiter in between corners and losing drive) or in your case to make sure your doing enough to make a decent difference.

Below was my sprocket ratio chart from last year.
You have sprocket sizes, then ratio, then ratio differences between them.

Stock front / Stock rear17 / 39 2.294 : 1

Stock front / 1 up 17 / 40 2.352 : 1 + 0.058

Stock front / 2 up 17 / 41 2.411 : 1 + 0.117

One down / Stock rear16 / 39 2.437 : 1 + 0.143

Stock front / 3 up 17 / 42 2.470 : 1 + 0.176

One down / 1 up 16 / 40 2.500 : 1 + 0.206

Stock front / 4 up 17 / 43 2.529 : 1 + 0.235

One down / 2 up 16 / 41 2.562 : 1 + 0.268

One down / 3 up 16 / 42 2.625 : 1 + 0.331

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
293 Posts
How is -1/+4?? I don't think I could keep the front wheel down!!
My bike is set up for the drag strip. Front is lowered through the clamps, and I run a strap when racing it. I haven't been back to the track since I went to the +4 in the back, but I have tested on the street. When strapped, the front wheels stays down nicely.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ive done -1/+4 and my bike is not lowered nor does it have an extended swing arm. It is about using throttle control. I am able to keep th front down no problem, and I do not ride ultra conservatively. I like to peg her now and then, but I am careful when I do.
I love the difference., Before I always felt I had to wind her up to 9k to feel any pull. Now, she pulls almost as hard as my pit bull going after a gopher!

·
Registered
691 Posts
You don't have to worry about it on the gen4. I still am not sure why people change it outside of track use =/ I have the 16t in my room but never put it on. Just seems like it'd be to much, I do alot of roll racing and it already wheelies. Will be even worse now that I have an extra 45 horse still swb.

·
Registered
914 Posts
You don't have to worry about it on the gen4. I still am not sure why people change it outside of track use =/ I have the 16t in my room but never put it on. Just seems like it'd be to much, I do alot of roll racing and it already wheelies. Will be even worse now that I have an extra 45 horse still swb.
Most bikes are geared way long from factory to meet the required standards for road use.

The ZX10R is possibly the most overgeared bike from any factory I have ever ridden, but if you're happy with it stock then who cares.

And no you don't need to re calibrate on the Gen 4, as it is the first 10 model to run wheel sensors, your gearing doesn't change your wheel size so your speedo still reads as correctly as before your change.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Currently using a 16/43 setup. -1 front and +4 rear. Love the pick up. Bike is used as a commuting bike and the occasional track day. I'm from Malaysia so Sepang is the track I go to on the track days.

On the road, I do tend to put the bike down to low power especially when there are loads of traffic.

Brands : Driven front & rear sprockets, DID X-Ring ERV3 520 Chain.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts