Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there has been posts about this before, but i couldnt find any (maybe i didnt look hard enough). anyways, I really want to get a little more bottom end and be able to pick up the front wheel a little easier. I just need to know pros/cons for changing the front vs rear, and which one and/or how many teeth to get? thanks. please go easy on me, im fairly new to this site and first time 10 owner.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Your avatar says Magma red, so I assume you own an 05.

Stock gearing is 17 x 39.

You could go +2 rear (easy) or -1 +2 ( sometimes swapping the CS sprocket

is a major pain..).

I have -1 + 2 on mine most of the times (race/track only).

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I did a 520 conversion with +2 in the rear and my front lifts right up in 1st and powers up in 2nd at highway speeds

·
Registered
213 Posts
:icon_rr::beer:What up fellas. Just don't understand why you change the gearing for wheelie purposes. We talking bout a zx10r here. j... m... 2 cents. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
:icon_rr::beer:What up fellas. Just don't understand why you change the gearing for wheelie purposes. We talking bout a zx10r here. j... m... 2 cents. Enjoy.
for the same reason people lower and extend the swing arm, to make it their own :helmet:

·
Registered
213 Posts
:icon_rr::beer: I feel ya... Just think when it comes to a bike as versatile and powerful as da 10, if one wants to stunt, uh wheelie that easily get a 600 with a big rear sprocket, etc, etc.......... might be a little more forgiving.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
:icon_rr::beer: I feel ya... Just think when it comes to a bike as versatile and powerful as da 10, if one wants to stunt, uh wheelie that easily get a 600 with a big rear sprocket, etc, etc.......... might be a little more forgiving.
Depending your riding style drag, canyon, track cheapest mod to gain quick acceleration and torque but you lose topend changing your sprocket -1 front and +2 rear and you need speedo healer to get the right reading on your speedo and OD.

·
Registered
858 Posts
A quick acceleration fix is -1 in the front or 16t. 520 525 denote chain size. The ten comes stock with 525. I would recommend replacing chain and sprockets together. If you do 520, which is a common upgrade for weight savings as it is a slightly narrower chain, go with the DID 520 EVR3. Can't go wrong there. As far as sprockets there are many options. i would say contact a site sponsor and I am sure they can set you up with what you need.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
a quick acceleration fix is -1 in the front or 16t. 520 525 denote chain size. The ten comes stock with 525. I would recommend replacing chain and sprockets together. If you do 520, which is a common upgrade for weight savings as it is a slightly narrower chain, go with the did 520 evr3. Can't go wrong there. As far as sprockets there are many options. I would say contact a site sponsor and i am sure they can set you up with what you need.
:+1:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sweet guys. tons of good info. by no means do i want to "stunt" the bike. quite frankly i dont have a hard time getting the front wheel up, i am really after the low end. as a end result if the front wheel gets lighter then :+2: for me.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
yup^^^

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 04, - 1 front and up 3 in the rear. Vortex front and rear sprockets. 520 chain. Plus I like have the 1/5 throttle. I don't need the extra low gearing for stunting, I ride the mtn's here in VA and do trackday's. But I love to be able to wheelie at will. I think the 04-05 is a much better bike geared low.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
but why order i sprocket for a different bike? i looked at motorcycle superstore for both sprockets and they are the same price..:dontknow:
unless you guys know something/somewhere i can get a 16 tooth sprocket cheaper for a z1000.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If you ride it alot you may want to change out the rear first. If it isn't enough got with the front sprocket. The smaller diameter front will wear the chain faster having to make a sharper bend. The 16 tooth probably won't affect it that much but just something to think about.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
but why order i sprocket for a different bike? i looked at motorcycle superstore for both sprockets and they are the same price..:dontknow:
unless you guys know something/somewhere i can get a 16 tooth sprocket cheaper for a z1000.
The OEM 16T Z1000 sprocket is different from an aftermarket 16. It has rubber inserts that make it quieter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
superbike supply has special till end of may

I just got a driven front and rear spocket and a ek mvxz gold chain in 120 links for 170 shipped, any tooth option needed. She was great to deal with and easy to work with. It should be here any day. Plus a site sponsor.:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts