Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
my current set-up is a vortex front 16t and stock chain and rear. The vortex front has about 3k miles the stock chain and rear have about 7k miles. I know everyone says change them all the same time, but I am on a budget. I hear typical street use with good maintenance, sprockets and chains should last 15K plus miles. I take great care of my sprockets and chains so I believe they are in great shape and do not look very worn at all. Would it be ok to change the back sprocket and leave the front and chain. i want to go +2 in the back but do not have the 250 bucks to do the front and and chain. The front is almost like new and the chain seems like good condition.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I used my gen3 stock chains for 50k km. n the sprockets still look good. My chain had hard spot so i changed them all together with -1+1 setup . But if you chains is good then u can use the sprocket . i would to save some bucks. Over here it cost you like 1000 to change a good chain . so it depends on you .

Btw initially i ran 16 fr n stock on rear using stock chain . Worked well no issue. n I still have my stock sprockets which would last anther 10-20k easy if i maintain the way i do.

I lube my chain every 400km and used the best lube i can find-mostly motul or repsol.i maintain chain slack well too . i clean my chain once a month with homemade degreaser .

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
you can always use any combination of chains and sprockets, old and new. as long as they all look t be in good shape. the reason its recommended to replace all at once is because they work together and will wear evenly together. so if you replace the rear sprocket with new and leave the old chain and front, then they may all just wear out a little faster than normal. just keep an eye on it. no big deal. the grooves on the front sprocket are lined up with the chain and the rear will be unworn so the rear may wear doen faster, or it may wear down the chain faster.. but nothing that you wont see coming for a couple thousand miles..

IMO

·
Registered
916 Posts
All,
my current set-up is a vortex front 16t and stock chain and rear. The vortex front has about 3k miles the stock chain and rear have about 7k miles. I know everyone says change them all the same time, but I am on a budget. I hear typical street use with good maintenance, sprockets and chains should last 15K plus miles. I take great care of my sprockets and chains so I believe they are in great shape and do not look very worn at all. Would it be ok to change the back sprocket and leave the front and chain. i want to go +2 in the back but do not have the 250 bucks to do the front and and chain. The front is almost like new and the chain seems like good condition.
Just changed mine as a set from OEM Stock after 30000+ miles, the front did clearly show signs of wear the rear not so bad and the chain was wearing out pretty good too even though I cleaned and greased it regularly. (Should have changed them earlier... :mrgreen:)
These bikes are costing some money to maintain if done right, why does nobody ever think about that? Buying them is the cheaper part... Maintenance and upkeep is where the money goes.... :crackup:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just changed mine as a set from OEM Stock after 30000+ miles, the front did clearly show signs of wear the rear not so bad and the chain was wearing out pretty good too even though I cleaned and greased it regularly. (Should have changed them earlier... :mrgreen:)
These bikes are costing some money to maintain if done right, why does nobody ever think about that? Buying them is the cheaper part... Maintenance and upkeep is where the money goes.... :crackup:
I buy the good spray lube from Suzuki which is down the road. I regularly take the chain off, soak in kerosene, clean, put back on and spray with the lube. Should I also be using some sort of grease?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I buy the good spray lube from Suzuki which is down the road. I regularly take the chain off, soak in kerosene, clean, put back on and spray with the lube. Should I also be using some sort of grease?
Soaking in Kerosene??? I would not do that, just clean the chain when it's on the bike and afterwards use a good chain lube to grease it a little. I personally use only this one here, the newest version goes on white and dries just about clear. Very rarely do I find a speck under the tail, that stuff sticks to the chain as it should...

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts