Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know many have gone to a 16T, but how many have also gone +1 on the rear of the bike? What are you experiences and is there that much of a change versus the 16T?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I am getting ready to try that combo.

I have +1 in the rear and a 16T sitting in my Garage.

I will let you know my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
ouch bikemike....that will probably limit first gear to about 80 or 85....oh no!!! Funny since i have gotten use to our bikes going around 100 in first, everything else seems slow but I think that but my R1 would redline in first at 81-84 and i thougth that was a tall first gear...

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the 16T, but honestly think this bike can safely get more. My bike is not wheelieing more unless I ask it to, altought there is more head shake. That calls for a damper, which could still handle the +1 in the rear....My rear end is not steeping out on me like I thought it would and we have been having cold road temps, warmer weather should be even better. I wanted to replace my rear with alloy anyways, so this is the best way to accomplish it I recon...if I hate it...ebay it, right? My only hope is that the alloy rear doesn't create vibrations that go into the clip-ons and make my hands go numb. I have 0 vibes now and vibes are a deal breaker.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i did the -1/+2, it runs like a 2 stroke. My friend rode it and said the bike was addicitve now he is thinking of trading his bike in for a 10r. it is better than doing a power mod. it is the shiznit. only con is you can't gun it because the wheelies are scary, but the accelration is rocket like. i love the bike now even more it is fun, do it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Holy Crap...that Is Like 5 1/2 In The Rear....wow!!!! I'd Say It Must Wheelie

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have a steering damper or plan on getting one. My next plans are for the brakes to be done and damper, then PCIII. Following that, it will be spring and I will begin to power up so I can do a true back to back testing.
BN

fbdr24 said:
i did the -1/+2, it runs like a 2 stroke. My friend rode it and said the bike was addicitve now he is thinking of trading his bike in for a 10r. it is better than doing a power mod. it is the shiznit. only con is you can't gun it because the wheelies are scary, but the accelration is rocket like. i love the bike now even more it is fun, do it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
516 Posts
MAVRIK said:
ouch bikemike....that will probably limit first gear to about 80 or 85....oh no!!! Funny since i have gotten use to our bikes going around 100 in first, everything else seems slow but I think that but my R1 would redline in first at 81-84 and i thougth that was a tall first gear...
I don't know if this relates but with just the 16t the Speedo Healer correction is 7%, I estimate it will be 11.5% (after adding 2 up in the rear). So..... using that number would put the top of first at 93 mph if it is 105 stock. The 16t is so much fun and I feel there is more room on the tall first gear, and I want a longer chain is my reason for changing. I never made it to the track (dragstrip) this year but this gearing should work in the spring.
If I roll the power on to full at the start of first gear and lay on the tank the bike raises up but not over, but if you "chop it" in the power band your going over......Big Fun!!

Mike

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Edited for stupidity...

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
BIKEMIKE I BELIEVE YOU SPEEDO ERROR WILL BE MUCH HIGHER THAN THAT....MORE LIKE 15 TO 16.5%.....JUST ONE DOWN IS ABOUT 10.5% IF YOU GOING FOR REAL SPEED.

tRACKADDICT.....ARE WE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME BIKE....ZX10R RIGHT....I THINK EVERYONES BIKE HERE CAME STOCK WITH 17 TEETH IN FRONT AND 39 IN THE REAR.....HENCE DOWN ONE IN FRONT TO MAKE 16 TEETH....

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Now I remember why I was thinking the stock was 18... The 17/39 setup is vrs. a 16/43-41-41 on the other liter bikes. I had a conversation about this with some of my buds. They were saying how in stock for stock form the GSXR and R1 are basically the same power and speed. I argued that if equal gearing were applied, the 10 would eat all their asses. They have since ridden my 10 with the down 1 tooth setting, which puts it much closer to the others in terms of gearing. They now bow down to the 10.

·
Registered
516 Posts
MAVRIK said:
BIKEMIKE I BELIEVE YOU SPEEDO ERROR WILL BE MUCH HIGHER THAN THAT....MORE LIKE 15 TO 16.5%.....JUST ONE DOWN IS ABOUT 10.5% IF YOU GOING FOR REAL SPEED.

tRACKADDICT.....ARE WE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME BIKE....ZX10R RIGHT....I THINK EVERYONES BIKE HERE CAME STOCK WITH 17 TEETH IN FRONT AND 39 IN THE REAR.....HENCE DOWN ONE IN FRONT TO MAKE 16 TEETH....
My total Speedo Healer error is 12% with stock tires and 16t front cog. That equates to 5% for the stock speedo error and adding 7% for the one tooth down on the front cog. Just looking at the actual mechanical change this would be 11.66% if I also go 2 up on the rear cog. I didn't include the stock speedo error in my original numbers. You are correct in your 16.5% number. Oh, BTW, when my bike hits about 8,000 rmp with the throttle pinned none of these numbers will mean a thing.

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
next thing i need is a steering damper and stainless steel brake lines. my question is since i have 16/41 is the speedometer faster or slower, in other words, am i going faster or slower than what it reads?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
slooooooooower, much sloooooower.........mmmmmm if the speedo reads 100 its roughly 83- 85mph.

BD

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Sounds like a challenge, wanna race? hmmmmmmm, let me rethink that... Lets see, BD= trackday promoter/organizer Miykl= trackday spectator....

I gotta few straight roads i'd take ya on! LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts