Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in changing my sprocket setup. I've searched the forums and found some useful information.

I live in CO at about 6200 ft above the sea so it kills my bike's ability to breathe! I weight 200+ and want a more torquey bike off the line and be able to wheelie it more easily.

I only have 1300 miles on it so far (less than a month old) so I doubt there's much wear on either sprocket or chain. But when I do something, I do it right. So should I go with new front and rear sprockets and new chain? Also, what brands are good. I see a lot of people are using vortech sprockets. Is the ERV3 chain worth the money?

What's better: aluminum or steel sprockets?

What's the difference between 520 and 525 sprockets?

I was thinking about doing a 16t front and 42t rear. Any suggestions? I've never done anything like this so I am a little intimidated.

How difficult is it to put new front/rear sprockets and chain on. Is it hard to make sure the back wheel is aligned once you put it back on? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
dr_wookiee said:
I am very interested in changing my sprocket setup. I've searched the forums and found some useful information.

I live in CO at about 6200 ft above the sea so it kills my bike's ability to breathe! I weight 200+ and want a more torquey bike off the line and be able to wheelie it more easily.

I only have 1300 miles on it so far (less than a month old) so I doubt there's much wear on either sprocket or chain. But when I do something, I do it right. So should I go with new front and rear sprockets and new chain? Also, what brands are good. I see a lot of people are using vortech sprockets. Is the ERV3 chain worth the money?

What's better: aluminum or steel sprockets?

What's the difference between 520 and 525 sprockets?

I was thinking about doing a 16t front and 42t rear. Any suggestions? I've never done anything like this so I am a little intimidated.

How difficult is it to put new front/rear sprockets and chain on. Is it hard to make sure the back wheel is aligned once you put it back on? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Based on your comment 'i do it right' i'll say purchase a new chain/sprocket setup and use one of the following final drive combos.........16/40 or 16/41 W/112L chain.

Theres many choices available but a few that stand out are DID & EK chains. Sprockets are a plenty but again some notable ones being used by many are AFAM, Renthal and RRP. The difference between a 520 & 525 chain is the physical size so if your wanting the lightest but strongest chain with a high tensile strength the DID 520erv2 is it but if your not too concerned with such trivial nonesense then stay with a high quality 525.

As for attempting this yourself you'll need a few tools like a chain rivet tool, air rachet & compressor to remove the countershaft nut so if your more comfortable letting someone else do the job do it.

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
With only 1300 miles on the bike, I'd stay with the OEM chain and go down 1 tooth in the front. All the front sprockets are steel because of the load on only a small number of teeth.

Depending on how much acceleration you want (at the expense of losing top end) go up in the rear as needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
I used to be so hot on gearing the bike untill I leared to clutch it up.

Once you learn how to use the clutch the gearing doesn't really matter too much.

I run 17/40 520 and am real happy with it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,362 Posts
I went to a 17/42 setup yesterday and took it out today. very please with the results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
I'd try going -1 up front. It is an inexpensive mod ($30) and if you don't like it you are not out very much. From there you can determine if you want to change the gearing further.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
rocketracermike said:
I went to a 17/42 setup yesterday and took it out today. very please with the results.
Did you happen to do any high speed runs? What was your top speed with this gearing? This is the set-up I am thinking of going to with a 520 chain
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
17/42 is my recommendation. I went with a Renthal alum sprocket, DID ERV 525 chain, and a Vortex front sprocket. VERY pleased with the results. Haven't noticed any faults with going to an alum sprocket either. It's every bit as tough, maybe tougher than the OEM sprocket piece of crap.

Here's a photo:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
Thanks for the response Bchild! I was wondering if you could giv eme some info though. Would you please be able to tell me how fast you are going cruising at 6500 rpms in 6th gear? Again thank you very much :eek:ccasion1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Im running a 16/41 520 renthal ultra light weight sprockets and an EK chain went with EK because i wanted the green links. I live about 2 hours away from denver in gering Ne. its about 4400 ft here. It will definitly help Ive had no problem with reliability with the smaller lighter chain. I would'nt go with. any lower gearing than this though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,362 Posts
I have jumbo chain tool mabe motion. it's not cheap, but it makes the job a lot easier. push those pins right out. as far as top speed run. havn't tried it yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
dr_wookiee said:
Thanks for everyone's input. I decided to pick this up: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4563170122&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
What do you guys think? Also, do you think I should get a chain tool kit with a breaker and riveting tool? What tools will I need to put this set on? Any tips are greatly appreciated.
The chain tool thats advert in the gray box is what you want....its capable of breakin/installing mstr link rivets.

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
Top speed with my 16/41 with a passenger is 160-165.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
eric said:
im running 16/43 and i love that setup. i mostly drag race on the street though.
Ya, you definately like to drag with gearing like that, and here I thought I was a little crazy with 15/39 :eyecrazy:

I want to go to 17/42 gearing cause on the highway I don't like how high my bike is revving at just "cruising speeds." However, I also love to drag race and that is why I was thinking about getting the Schnitz Racing lower first gear for the tranny. This would help me launch the bike and get a better 60 ft time, and with the 17/42 gearing my bike wouldn't be revving as high while cruising unless I wanted it to :thumbsup:

Problem with this tranny gear though is that I won't mess with inside the tranny personally and I would have some1 install the gear for me. However, I see this being a very pricey and time consuming process :sad: Anybody have an idea of how long installing this gear should take?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
I think once I get the nitrous I will drop a tooth in the rear. It will be less prone to wheelie because of a longer wheel base and taller gearing. Should be a little more highway friendly too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
BeepeR said:
Thanks for the response Bchild! I was wondering if you could giv eme some info though. Would you please be able to tell me how fast you are going cruising at 6500 rpms in 6th gear? Again thank you very much :eek:ccasion1
I haven't noticed what I'm doing at exactly 6500rpms, but here is the breakdown I did notice:

90mph = 6000RPM
75mph = 5000RPM
65mph = 4200RPM
1st gear redline is approx. 98mph, but I swear I've seen 102 before I hit the limiter.

I'll see if I can take notice what speed I'm at at 6500rpms. Probably right around 100mph, but I'll do a test sometime. :dontknow:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top