Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
09 ZX10R Anniversary Edition
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went +2 Vortex Rear Sprocket the other day. Chain was in good shape already - still cleaned it and lubed it. Had to move the rear axle forward a 1/2" or so to keep the right chain tension.

I went out and did a few pulls, notice the more bottom end power and constantly higher RPM's. At first I wasn't crazy about it, but now I'm starting to like it. The wheel will try to lift in third gear if your note careful. I also recently had the ECU flashed by 2WDW. Prior to the rear sprocket change - when I was on stock 17/41, I really was digging the 'missile' like feel in 2nd gear as you were climbing towards redline in the higher RPM's with no limiter. Bike was a screamer.

Now it feels like the power has come off the top end (not top speed MPH, but rather power in the top end) and shifted a little towards the middle. Am I tripping or is the bike not pulling as hard in the higher RPM's? I know a bigger rear sprocket will take some top speed MPH which I'm not too concerned about, but I can't figure out if it lost some of that rocketship feeling in the really high RPM's or if it is still pulling just as hard but it just feels different now.

I also got a Vortex -1 front sprocket in the garage but I want to ride the bike for a bit and get a feel for the +2 rear before I throw it on there. I also want to wait and get a new chain before the smaller front goes sprocket goes on as I don't know if the previous owner had replaced the chain and I feel like especially running two new sprockets should run a new chain from what I've read.

And again it's hard to judge where the bike is making it's power because I feel like each day I ride it the bike feels slower just because Im getting used to it lol. That's what ruined my RXP-X jet ski when I bought it new - it felt like a missile for a couple days then started feeling slow lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
If the chain is fine, just throw the front on. It would actually help get the geometry closer to stock. Right now, you shortened the wheelbase quite a bit 1/2 ~13mm. You should be able to get about half that back with the smaller front sprocket.

The bike is pulling as hard as it always did. You may be running past peak hp more now with the gearing, making the bike seem a little slower up top. Is you bike flashed/tuned? That would help.

Edit: my fav combo is always -1/+1 because you can use your old chain, don't need to add or remove any links.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Definitely a combo of getting more used to it and that you run through the gears more quickly. The bike should actually accelerate harder everywhere, you've increased the torque multiplier. Could just be that the bottom/midrange increase feels bigger than the top increase, so relatively it seems slower.

Reactions: Vader_11B

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the chain is fine, just throw the front on. It would actually help get the geometry closer to stock. Right now, you shortened the wheelbase quite a bit 1/2 ~13mm. You should be able to get about half that back with the smaller front sprocket.

The bike is pulling as hard as it always did. You may be running past peak hp more now with the gearing, making the bike seem a little slower up top. Is you bike flashed/tuned? That would help.

Edit: my fav combo is always -1/+1 because you can use your old chain, don't need to add or remove any links.
Yea, bike has a 2WDW ECU flash, I still want to get it on the dyno and at least do a curiosity run if not a full dyno tune. The more I ride it, the more I like it. Gonna throw on the new DID chain and -1 front this weekend, along with the quick turn throttle I just got

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
That sprocket change with a 1/5 throttle insert is incredible. I ran a -1 front, stock rear and 1/5 insert on my 05 and it was an beast on the street. So responsive, so fun. Youre gonna really enjoy it. The -1 up front is going to feel like roughly the same change as the +2 on the back again. Its sweet.

Reactions: Vader_11B

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got the -1 front installed last night (so now 16/43 w/ the +2 in the rear). Installed my new DID 525 gold chain, also installed the G2 Ergonomics Quick Turn competition quick-turn throttle. The bike feels absolutely amazing. I wasn't super thrilled about the +2 rear alone but something about the -1/+2 combo is just amazing. Some serious power wheelie in 1/2nd gear. I've been playing around with getting the front end up just on power in 1st and it's a ton of fun. It comes up quick though, and Im getting used to it (never got comfortable with the clutch up wheelies yet). The thing just feel smooth and buttery for some reason now, power on demand and I feel you like you can do anything with the power now. Got on the highway around 80 MPH Im at around 6k RPMs which isn't terrible but I don't spend alot of time on the freeways anyways. Now I am going to focus on my front brakes, adding front/rear brake lines, MC rebuild and then focus on suspension setup. Right now the bike has a 2WDW ECU Flash, -1/+2, K&N Race Filter, de-catted headers, SC shorty slip-on for motor mods, various other mods that aren't motor related. She's so much fun now wish I had this gear setup before. Now I need to address the infamous 3-4k RPM rattle in the front I guess is common on Gen3's, its driving me nuts.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
When I put a throttle insert in mine, thats when it felt smoother. I think part of it is the cable slack and the other part is that it's a larger throttle change for the same wrist movement. Combine that with the sprockets that bring rhe RPM up at speed, you're just into the power faster. Glad youre happy with it though, its a great change. Definitely makes better use of the 105mph 1st gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts