Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 and I am very new to sport bikes. I have read some different things according to sprocket and chains. I have read that 520 kit is a good choice but then also read that 520 is thin which is better for track bikes. I am just a daily rider, nothing crazy but do not like the stock. Should I get 530? and what if I just went -1/front and left rear at 41? Also if anyone could explain link and length?

Thank you!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
I have an '08 and I am very new to sport bikes. I have read some different things according to sprocket and chains. I have read that 520 kit is a good choice but then also read that 520 is thin which is better for track bikes. I am just a daily rider, nothing crazy but do not like the stock. Should I get 530? and what if I just went -1/front and left rear at 41? Also if anyone could explain link and length?

Thank you!
No, you shouldn't get a 530. You also shouldn't run a 520 on the street, on a liter bike in my opinion. Stick with the stock 525 size for your needs.

Ever ridden a 10-speed bike? You know how hard it was to pedal in the top gear, but you went fast if you could? That's the same as adding teeth in the front and taking them away on the rear sprocket. Remember how easy it can be to pedal it in low gear but you don't go very fast? Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket is just like that. And I suggest you do go -1 on the front and don't change anything else. Stock chain will work with that combo and you'll notice a difference for sure. To can add more gearing

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Crash Test Dummy
820 Posts
I've heard good things about the DID,RK, and EK chains but I cant personally give a solid review on all of them because I've always stuck to DID chains. I was also hesitant the first time I put a 520 pitch on a liter bike, but I ended up going with it for my track and street bikes and I have no complaints. I would just buy the 120 link chain and cut it to size. As far as gearing -1 sounds fine if you use your bike simply for commuting. I agree with SkyDork on keeping the stock chain and doing the sprocket change if your chain is still in good shape but if you must replace it the 520 is just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts