Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how this would work, i know Yamaha gave Rossi an M1 when he won with yamaha, but will yamaha give Spies one of the R1's he raced on?
Surely one of the bikes will be in the Yamaha museum being it is the 1st time they have won a SuperBike title...any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
thatd be awesome...but being how they spent so much money on that thing they probably will keep it being how they wouldn't want all their secrets get out

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
like you said. yamaha gave rossi the last year 990 bike to him. I read some where that suzk gave matt madlin him a cruiser and dirt bikes. I would think yamaha will just give him a bonus for his year of service.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'm sure the R1 that they give him will be more of a replica of what he raced. The motor will probably be a stock or superstock one rather than the full blown superbike.

The R1 has done very well in racing circles this year. The top spec factory supported superbike engines were lacking absolutely nothing on the other liters and 1200cc Ducatis. The top speed they were logging in the Portimao were a leap forward from the other tracks as well. I fully expect that they were going to be successful with this engine, after all it's not like they're new at this cross plane firing order idea. They've proven since 2004 just how effective it is on the M1.

Although my preference is for a screamer 4-cyl, I fully comprehend and appreciate the benefits of the motor design. However, I am hoping that the next update to the R1 will fix: 1) Styling 2)Lose some weight 3) Make more power.

With 180 rwhp BMW S1000RR's, Yamaha has the most ground to make up, nearly 30-40 rwhp shy. That's almost the difference between a liter and a 600 from a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm sure the R1 that they give him will be more of a replica of what he raced. The motor will probably be a stock or superstock one rather than the full blown superbike.

The R1 has done very well in racing circles this year. The top spec factory supported superbike engines were lacking absolutely nothing on the other liters and 1200cc Ducatis. The top speed they were logging in the Portimao were a leap forward from the other tracks as well. I fully expect that they were going to be successful with this engine, after all it's not like they're new at this cross plane firing order idea. They've proven since 2004 just how effective it is on the M1.

Although my preference is for a screamer 4-cyl, I fully comprehend and appreciate the benefits of the motor design. However, I am hoping that the next update to the R1 will fix: 1) Styling 2)Lose some weight 3) Make more power.

With 180 rwhp BMW S1000RR's, Yamaha has the most ground to make up, nearly 30-40 rwhp shy. That's almost the difference between a liter and a 600 from a few years ago.
:+1:

It appears that the cross-plane tech is sound if used correctly, Yamaha just neutered the street-going version (at least in the US). If they can lose some weight (which they can just in the crank, much less everything else), and make some more power - I'd be in like Flint (I like the styling). Though, it's hard to say as the RSV4 is coming out very close to the same price (couple grand) and the S1000RR is really close to the same price - there are a lot of good options nowadays.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i bet he will get something extra for his efforts.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
I heard they were trying to give him a stock R-1 with Sterelgarta replica bodywork.........................but............it fried his nuts, was heavy as a pig, and had guttless power, so he took it to the closest bike dealer and traded it in on a 09 Kawi 10R

True story, he posted it on the R1 forums, they flamed him.:crackup:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Er, sorry boy's, but James Toseland is thrashing it around in testing at this very moment! See MCN............http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/World-Superbikes/2009/October/oct2709-toseland-makes-yamaha-wsb-debut/
That doesn't mean that they won't or can't give it to him later.

The big dogs tend to put that in their contract to get the bike if they win. (Don't know if Spies had that in his contract or not.)
And they often still have to fight for it according to Rossi's book.
Honda likes to drag it's heals on giving up the bike but Hayden got his.. it was in the contract and he didn't give up on actually getting it.

It's not like he only had one bike, so he could have one and the museum could have one.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
They have more than one bike guys, I bet they go through no less than 10 bikes a season.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i hope toseland does well. GP isnt for everyone.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I heard they were trying to give him a stock R-1 with Sterelgarta replica bodywork.........................but............it fried his nuts, was heavy as a pig, and had guttless power, so he took it to the closest bike dealer and traded it in on a 09 Kawi 10R

True story, he posted it on the R1 forums, they flamed him.:crackup:
:spit:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Not sure how this would work, i know Yamaha gave Rossi an M1 when he won with yamaha, but will yamaha give Spies one of the R1's he raced on?
Surely one of the bikes will be in the Yamaha museum being it is the 1st time they have won a SuperBike title...any thoughts?
I'm no Ben S and Buell gave me my race bike so I would have to say yes they will give Ben anything he wants!

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
To be fair - if they didn't give you the bike, where would it go? The closed factory?

Just kidding.
ummm ....very true! and I thought I was special !!! :headshake

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
damn ted that was below the belt. haha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts