Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah thats right I spent $160 on No-Mar tire changing tools. I am getting my wheels powder coated this weekend. After fighting with the rubber during removal and fu$%ing up my wheels I decided to buy professional tools. I bought a No-Mar mount/dismount bar and a clamp and two hidden valve stems. Lets hope the purchase was worth it.

BTW I am building a homemade tire changing station.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
good luck, saw a friend try to do his own tire change out one time, didn't balance the rim/tire and had some of the worse head shake I have ever seen on a bike

·
Registered
367 Posts
i've been considering doing this too, can you post up pics of your set up when you get it built?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
I bought a harbor freights one. Only paid 50 cause me and a friend split the cost, and we bargained with the manager to drop the price to 100 even after taxes. But with my luck I didn't need a use for it until about a month later and then realized the part that screws in to hold the wheel tight had screwed up threads. So it keep spinning on me and scratched my wheel up pretty bad. So I have been thinking about getting the no mar bar with it, and finding a way to fix the part that holds the wheel.

edit- Balancing is easy as well had it on the track after my first try with no problems.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I

Too just bought Harbor Freight special...paid about a 100 bux for it...me and my bro changed tires last night for an upcoming track day....worked great...but yeah, i to am thinking about that "bar" from no-mar...my wheels got slightly scratched...cant have that can we!...

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
I got the Harbor Freight thing and was disappointed at first. I scratched my rims up pretty bad. Then I realized that even the shop left marks. I think I've had it for about six years and it's MORE than paid for itself. Tires can be found cheap at swmototires.com or when Cycle Gear has a deal.

Instead of the mounting bar, I use several tire irons and lever the tires over the lip of the rim with rim protectors between the rim and tire iron.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
While at the AMA races No Mar had a tent set-up showing all there products.. I seen the Cycle Hill Version And it looks like shit in person its pretty much a harbor frieght with better paint in my opinon..
After checking them out for a while My Pops bought the Classic Ultimate Version For $100 off Reg. Price... Gonna be set-up this up soon!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I do my own tires. Mount/dismount as well as balance... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
good luck, saw a friend try to do his own tire change out one time, didn't balance the rim/tire and had some of the worse head shake I have ever seen on a bike
Not balancing a tir would do that - though I don't know what would drive anyone to ride a bike with an unblanced tire. :dontknow:

You can static balance your tire pretty well with little/no tools required.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
You will LOVE that No Mar mount / de-mount bar. It works exactly as advertised.

And, in order to make the odds go more easily my way, I actually buy tires based on what tire is the easiest to mount and not on what tire has the best performance.

What tires are those?

That would be Michelin PILOT POWERS but not the 2CT's.

Pilot Powers have the softest sidewall I have ever seen and I can usually mount both sides without even using the No Mar mount / de-mount bar or any tools.

And PILOT POWERS have enough performance for most mortals so the decision to use those based on ease of mounting is a no-brainer for me.

And YES Michelin now offers the Pilot Power rear in 190/55/17 size.

I just picked these up for my BST's.

Go into any bike shop and flex the sidewalls of the tires. You will be shocked how stiff some are and how soft Pilot Powers are making them soooo easy to mount up WITHOUT scratching your wheels.

But be forwarned, like everything else that requires a certain "touch", mounting and demounting tires requires some practice and the more you get the better you will get at it.

DUNLOPS have "super stiff" sidewalls and can be a trying experience even with the No Mar tools. Just keep that in mind.
:+1: Pilot Powers are the SH$# when it comes to changing your own tires with almost no effort. I just changed a friends set of tires to BT016s are they were ok.. a little effort was needed for the front and rear tire to get that last part of the tire on but nothing like PPs. Also, Dunlop gp's tire are very easy to take on and off.
For balanacing tires I make up a tool that uses a set of roller bearings and mounted them on an extra set of jackstands that I have. I got the idea from a link on this forum, the guy used 2X4 for the supports but I wanted something abit better looking and less bulky. The bearings are skateboard bearings and were $1.50 a piece.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts