Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is an 04. Had it apart this winter and just got it pretty much put back together and i noticed today that the speedometer stays at 0.

Sprocket cover and sensor appear to be installed correctly. I know there's one connector at the bottom of the motor and another behind the top, right motor mount. I still have to make sure those connections are good.

Are the CSS sensors prone to failure? is it likely just a bad connection somewhere? Any one else had this start happening for no apparent reason?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Bike is an 04. Had it apart this winter and just got it pretty much put back together and i noticed today that the speedometer stays at 0.

Sprocket cover and sensor appear to be installed correctly. I know there's one connector at the bottom of the motor and another behind the top, right motor mount. I still have to make sure those connections are good.

Are the CSS sensors prone to failure? is it likely just a bad connection somewhere? Any one else had this start happening for no apparent reason?
Not common...04 bike is easy to check out. Do you have a SpeedoHealer?....If not shame on you :heyyou: as that also makes it easy to test out your system.....but yes check out the connector by the motor if not.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No speedohealer. So far couldn't be bothered to install one, the speed being off doesn't really bother me.

Alright, i'll get me some dielectric grease and do some wire wiggling.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
It's really easy to pinch the wire that goes down from the upper fairing, along the left side of the engine, to the plug for the speed sensor. Been there ...

·
Registered
113 Posts
hi there....,mi speedo is working but the numbers keep jumping up n down..
wat the cause of these.bad speedo sensor or i need to clean up n check wiring...

·
Registered
208 Posts
SPEED SENSOR may be the cause.. I have a NEW OEM speedo sensor CHEEP.. I bought it for my 05 and came to findout it was the METER itself.. LMK if anyone needs one..

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i pulled all the connectors, put some dielectric grease on them then put em back together. after i cleaned the two connectors behind the left upper the speedo worked again. after i put all the fairings back on it wasnt working.

seems like a bad connection somewhere, gonna take em back off again soon and make sure nothing is pinched.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
well i pulled all the connectors, put some dielectric grease on them then put em back together. after i cleaned the two connectors behind the left upper the speedo worked again. after i put all the fairings back on it wasnt working.

seems like a bad connection somewhere, gonna take em back off again soon and make sure nothing is pinched.
Did you check the Instrument Cluster Connector as well? Also try pulling out the Speed sensor it's easy to do and clean it. You can also check voltages at the bottom of the engine connector because the Cluster for the 04/05 is supplied by the cluster to the Sensor. This is another reason besides the Speed being off by 6% on your bike to have a SpeedoHealer. It has a test mode to simulate the Speed sensor and helps in troubleshooting problems like this. Good luck and let us know.

bloo

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
turns out it was the plug on the back of the instrument panel. wasn't quite clicked in completely, shoved it in there properly with some dielectric grease and it seems to be working properly. i don't even remember unplugging that connector! oh well.. the winters rebuild is now 100% complete!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
turns out it was the plug on the back of the instrument panel. wasn't quite clicked in completely, shoved it in there properly with some dielectric grease and it seems to be working properly. i don't even remember unplugging that connector! oh well.. the winters rebuild is now 100% complete!
but I thought you said "well i pulled ALL the connectors" in the first place AND checked them out?.:heyyou::heyyou::lol:

good deal though you found the problem now :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but I thought you said "well i pulled ALL the connectors" in the first place AND checked them out?.:heyyou::heyyou::lol:

good deal though you found the problem now :thumbsup:

but shut up?? lol..

i didnt think to check that one because i still don't remember ever touching that one over the winter.. oh well, its fixed now!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
but shut up?? lol..

i didnt think to check that one because i still don't remember ever touching that one over the winter.. oh well, its fixed now!
I figured you didn't that's why a forum like this helps and why I mentioned to check it out in the first place.:wink::thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts