Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed it with -1 up front and programed in -12% but while I was out I opened it up and got 167 at 12750 rpm. I know I'm a little shy of redline but is that right, I thought people were getting GPS speeds of 179-180 top end.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
i have -1/+2 and went 169 on tomtom just short of redline so that sounds right

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats why it sounds wrong to me, redline is 13000 so I was only 250 rpm shy and doing 167 when you can do 169 -1/+2.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I am looking for a speedo healer. Where did you guys get yours? When you changed your sprockets/chains did you need a special chain tool? I have a 520 convertion and am about to install it. So if I need something else to help me with the install I'd like to get it before hand.

Thanks

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I just installed it with -1 up front and programed in -12% but while I was out I opened it up and got 167 at 12750 rpm. I know I'm a little shy of redline but is that right, I thought people were getting GPS speeds of 179-180 top end.
The redline is not the same a Rev. Limiter but yes you can hit the redline and farther for more speed, but my concern is if your shy of the Redline should you be doing those speeds anyway :dontknow::badteeth:

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cal sportbikes is a sponsor that actually imports them into the US and he will give you a good deal. I did the 520 conversion myself and the only special tool needed is a rivet tool for the masterlink. They are kind of expensive so I got everything ready and trucked my bike down to the dealer and they riveted it for me and only charged $10

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Cal sportbikes is a sponsor that actually imports them into the US and he will give you a good deal. I did the 520 conversion myself and the only special tool needed is a rivet tool for the masterlink. They are kind of expensive so I got everything ready and trucked my bike down to the dealer and they riveted it for me and only charged $10
yepper thats where i got mine

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so are you guys saying with a -1 front on a 04/05 the bike will run a top out somewhere in between 167 to 175 still ?
Yeah I have my shift light set at 12750 rpm and I let up as soon as it came on and the top speed recall was 167 with a -12% correction programmed in. So running it to redline or rev limit will probably get into the 170's.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Please, I am not trying to jack this thread but, I also have 16- 42. I just bought a Speedo Healer, not yet installed. When I have hit the 13500 RPM, the speedo stays locked at 189mph. Now I do know that I'm going faster than 173 mph, cause I passed my buddy's bike (R6) easily and he's got a GPS that said he was doing 173mph.

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please, I am not trying to jack this thread but, I also have 16- 42. I just bought a Speedo Healer, not yet installed. When I have hit the 13500 RPM, the speedo stays locked at 189mph. Now I do know that I'm going faster than 173 mph, cause I passed my buddy's bike (R6) easily and he's got a GPS that said he was doing 173mph.
Sorry joker I don't see a question there but I went -1 up front and left the back stock which is 39T on the 04 if you went down up front and up in the back your top speed will be hurting more than mine.

Since you don't have a speedohealer installed you readings will be farther off then they are with stock gearing giving even higher false readings which is why you saw 189 on the speedometer.

Once the healer is installed there is a calculator on the speedohealer site which tells about what to adjust to depending on your change in gearing, tire size, etc. and it also tries to take the factory error into account.

As for your buddy I find it hard to believe a R6 is getting into the 170's but I don't know whats done to the bike. Numerous people have GPS'd mid to high 170's with just -1 up front hence my initial post.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thanks, it did.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Thanks. I will get in contact with them

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
the tach reading is a false positive of 1k so in reality you were @ 11750 :mrgreen:

as for an R6 even breathing on 170 it ain't happenin, no way no how. :headshake

BD

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the tach reading is a false positive of 1k so in reality you were @ 11750 :mrgreen:

BD
Thanks for the info BD, the japs are good with electronics so why can't they make the speedometer and tach right from the factory? Obviously changing gearing requires something to recalibrate same thing with a car but at least make the tach right.

Are the analog tachs on the newer gens accurate or are they off too?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Are the analog tachs on the newer gens accurate or are they off too?
all bikes and all brands read this way. they may be close to accurate at mundane speeds but get into triple digits and all bets are off as too how accurate(or not) they are. Me suspects its a safety barrier for these motors so that when the tach reads 13k its actually 12k and most owners won't push much farther.

BD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts