Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi , just a question here , I installed the 16t sprocket and calibrated the speedohealer for the gearing change plus the site recomended 5.8% factory speedo error. Then I went out and did a top speed run , and when I returned I hit the top speed recall button , and it read 180 mph. I don't even know if this was the top speed , because I shut it down quick , I chickened-out basically. Now I thought the bike wasn't supposed to reach this speed , with this gearing. ??. The bike is a 2005 , is bone stock , with the exception of the sprocket and a 180/55 rear tire. The road was flat and there was no tailwind that I was aware of. Could the 5.8% factory speedo error be the wrong value ?. thanks for any reply's.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Did you enter a 5.8%, or a -5.8% (negative) error?
If you went the wrong way, your speedo is even worse than when you started.
Get a GPS or have a car pace you at around 60mph and see what you come up with.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
If I remember right, nearly 13% correction for a 16/39 combo

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Somebody here recently did a SH calibration along with a GPS for 16/39 and found -12.2% to be right on @ 100mph.

BD

·
Registered
516 Posts
You said: "calibrated the speedohealer for the gearing change plus the site recomended 5.8% factory speedo error"
So, what is the total you put in, 5.8% plus what?

·
Registered
267 Posts
You never got to 180mph..... sorry.
Your speed-o is reading very optimistic.
With my 16t sprocket I went to -12.2% on the healer and I'm perfect.
Your speed-o could have been off more than standard from the factory.
Borrow a GPS and compare your speed-o to the GPS at around 60mph and work up the calibration value from that.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I set mine speedo by rolling with traffic and go slightly faster then look see how fast I am going...lol stupid but works for me

·
Registered
267 Posts
BIKEMIKE said:
You lost me, can someone translate this?
Go to the speedohealer web site and use their calculator.
The calibration value is always the opposite integer (+ or -) from the error value.
And the calibration % is always slightly different than the actual error %.
:dontknow:

·
Registered
516 Posts
JodyH said:
Go to the speedohealer web site and use their calculator.
The calibration value is always the opposite integer (+ or -) from the error value.
And the calibration % is always slightly different than the actual error %.
:dontknow:
OK, I understand what you said now. If you did set at 12.2% you should be correct, may be the recall function is acting funny.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You need to reset the top speed on the healer. I think you turn the bike on and push the button and hold it for 5 sec then release the button. Turn bike off, then on and push the button and see what it says after that as it should be zero.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As soon as you turn off the power (ignition) , the speedohealer resets it self to zero (the top speed memory recall). I used this same unit on my zx-12r that I used to have , with no problems. I'm thinking that maybe the reason I got 180 mph was due to the fact that I use a taller tire (180/55) , or maybe there might not have been any headwind whatsoever ??.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I hate to tell you, the speedo Healer for the kawasaki does not reset after turning the ign off. I even emailed SH to ask them how to clear the memory and they advised me the unit has storage for the calibration and the top speed function as well.

You can reset it like I said as I went out and did mine last night to make sure, Turn bike on, push button on healer for 5 sec, release, turn bike off then back on hit button and top speed will be cleared.

When using the healer if your top speed is say 100, it will say 100, the next time if you hit 110 it will replace the 100 with the 110 and so on until you ahve the fastest speed in memory or until you clear the memory again.

Be carefull of hitting the top speed recal alot of the MPH is over 150 or so, it will add on .10's of a mile cause the speedo thinks it is doing the speed being shown.

·
GP Star/Official Spam Spotter
5,756 Posts
how do you calibrate the speed? is their a dail or do u need a laptop?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Got to their website...

www.speedohealer.com, chose the right language, then thier is a link to their calculator and you can save it to your pc and use it with out having to go their site. Then go out and either pace a car, or hit a roadside radar unit, get the local popo to hit you with radar or GPS. You need to know indicated speed and actual speed.

Once you know those values thier website calculator will figure out the correction factor and it gies you instructions on how to set up the healer. it is really easy to set up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts