Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

· Registered
23,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you go to court will they still impose the fine they say you should do in the mail or should I go to court? I am guilty but I received the Bill yesterday and it's for 61mph in a 45mph but it was in the morning(6:00am) NO Cross streets LOOOOng strait, nice day no danger but a few local city cops it seems trying to make money for their county. It really is a safe place to go at at pace but the fine of $350 or Traffic School $400 is the same for running a RED LIGHT...That pisses me off. I only run liability coverage anyway right now so thinking just go to court and see if they lower the fees :dontknow: and it shouldn't hurt my Insurance rates for the bike.:dontknow: I just think I am getting screwed by a hungry $$ city. :badteeth:

· GEN II Driver
2,910 Posts
i had a pretty similar situation back in november of '08 up in sac and contested by mail and won! pretty shocked as it was a chp officer that sited me and i thought no way was i going to get out of a speeding ticket but wrote a reasonable defense to my citation and it came back dismissed at the request of the arresting officer. good luck...

· FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,490 Posts
bloo, if you go to court, they can either:

a. lower the fine if you ask for it
b. not lower the fine, you still get points
c. let it go if you win, and the officer did not show up.

I contested 2 of my tickets in the past, I never win.. So I just pay the bill, and go to a traffic school so I dont get any points.. Online traffic school works, quick and easy.

· Registered
23,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i had a pretty similar situation back in november of '08 up in sac and contested by mail and won! pretty shocked as it was a chp officer that sited me and i thought no way was i going to get out of a speeding ticket but wrote a reasonable defense to my citation and it came back dismissed at the request of the arresting officer. good luck...
Thanks but this won't help..it was a City Cop Rookie just doing his job....why they screen that street could ONLY be for money at $300+ a pop because it's almost impossible to not want to go over 45mph... I clocked an out of county sheriff averaging 51MPH on that same stretch. :badteeth::dontknow:

· Registered
23,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bloo, if you go to court, they can either:

a. lower the fine if you ask for it
b. not lower the fine, you still get points
c. let it go if you win, and the officer did not show up.

I contested 2 of my tickets in the past, I never win.. So I just pay the bill, and go to a traffic school so I dont get any points.. Online traffic school works, quick and easy.
I like option A but if the percentage is not good that it can work I will do traffic school I did it before 5yrs ago and it only took me an Hour to complete online. I am just pissed how this city makes money on lonely roads when there are much more dangerous roads in their city...sucks..:badteeth:

· Registered
474 Posts
Bloo I seen to get a speeding ticket on the bike once every year. I alway turn it into my lawyer. He charges me 100 bucks,I pay a fine usually about 75.00,one month supervision(Get no tickets for a month and your off)and no points on my license.
So my advise to you is find a good lawyer and keep his number.

· Registered
231 Posts
Motor cop here...never personal for me and I encourage people to take it to court if they feel wronged or otherwise. Our court here differs between two judges... one will usually cut it in half or make it a parking ticket with 0 points where the other one makes you pay full bail plus 0 traffic school option if found guilty. The worst that can happen is you pay the original bail. But, remember courts differ from state to state and so on.

Best advice...ask around for anyone previously cited into that court.

Good luck.

· Registered
23,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do the trial by written declaration. If it comes out in your favor great. If not you can still contest it and go to court and try your luck there.
I like that option as well just have to make sure that is an option on my ticket paper work. :dontknow:

· Registered
23,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks Guys for the responses so far I will review my next action:thumbsup:

FYI this is not Sacramento but a suburb of Sacramento County called Roseville... I always heard they have nothing to do.... not to much crime where I work. I hope to get a good direction soon that is crazy money for what I did there as it seems black and white in this case like I ran a stop light or something. :badteeth:

· GEN II Driver
2,910 Posts
:thumbsup:

Wish the PD would throw some lights and siren on a ZX-10R...never happen!
sweet ride! moto leos should start a thread to show off their bikes.

thanks Guys for the responses so far I will review my next action:thumbsup:

FYI this is not Sacramento but a suburb of Sacramento County called Roseville... I always heard they have nothing to do.... not to much crime where I work. I hope to get a good direction soon that is crazy money for what I did there as it seems black and white in this case like I ran a stop light or something. :badteeth:
my bikes are stored right up the way in auburn. you ride salmon falls much?

· Registered
23,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sweet ride! moto leos should start a thread to show off their bikes.

my bikes are stored right up the way in auburn. you ride salmon falls much?

I use to ride 49 not much anymore...shoot I can't even make it to work without getting a ticket these days.:badteeth::lol:

· Guilty by association
8,752 Posts
I like that option as well just have to make sure that is an option on my ticket paper work. :dontknow:
its an option, ive done it and lost. on the bright side i didnt have to waste one second sitting in a room wasting my entire day for nothing.

· Registered
3,417 Posts
Dang, I just had ticket too :( . $315 + 65 administrative fee? + $15 for convinience fee? + $39 for traffic school. I haven't had a ticket for 8 years. Before I only had to pay the bail, what the hell is the administrative fee and convinience fee.

· Registered
540 Posts
If you go to court will they still impose the fine they say you should do in the mail or should I go to court? I am guilty but I received the Bill yesterday and it's for 61mph in a 45mph but it was in the morning(6:00am) NO Cross streets LOOOOng strait, nice day no danger but a few local city cops it seems trying to make money for their county. It really is a safe place to go at at pace but the fine of $350 or Traffic School $400 is the same for running a RED LIGHT...That pisses me off. I only run liability coverage anyway right now so thinking just go to court and see if they lower the fees :dontknow: and it shouldn't hurt my Insurance rates for the bike.:dontknow: I just think I am getting screwed by a hungry $$ city. :badteeth:
61 in a 45 on a long lonely road with no traffic or cross streets... sorry but the cop is just a fuckin asshole, I bet he breaks the speed limit on that road everyday... I mean REALLY, come on! I can understand if you're doing wheelies in traffic or weaving in and out at double the speed limit but 16mph over on a motorcycle on a lonely road at 6am is just BULLSHIT! Doesn't the city get enough money from all the bs taxes they collect, do they really have to resort to "stealing" your money like that.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.