Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
a few months ago i removed the speed sensor on my track bike, a 04 zx10r.
This was due to removing the sprocket cover to allow me cleaning up that area a little easier.
As a result i ended up getting an FI light.
It does not bother me much, however i'd like to have it off so that i can have the code free, should another problem arise.
I still have the sensor, i plugged it in but can't get rid of the light.
Any suggestions?
Sensor is pointless to me, i ride this bike on the track and it helps keep the wiring tidy as it is already quite a mess.
Regards,

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure the sensor is plugged in properly and the connector/wiring wasn't damaged in the initial removal. And pull the error code to see what is ultimately causing your issue with that.

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/all-gens-so-your-fi-light-218666.html
Hey, thanks for the answer.
The error code is indeed regarding the speed sensor.
Would it go away after i plug in the sensor or do i need to reset something?
This makes it hard to understand whether the sensor works or not.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts
Hey, thanks for the answer.
The error code is indeed regarding the speed sensor.
Would it go away after i plug in the sensor or do i need to reset something?
This makes it hard to understand whether the sensor works or not.

The older models did not hold the code in memory for awhile like the newer ones do. There should be nothing to reset for that. If the sensor is still causing the issue, then there is a small number of possible problems.

The sensor itself is damaged, the wiring is damaged, or the fact that it's not properly reading the sprocket is causing the output voltage to be out-of-range. The other thing would be the ECU is faulty. :headshake: But we can rule that one out!

The Gen 1s used a slightly different setup than the later ones with the sensor mounted on the outside of the sprocket cover. It reads the countershaft sprocket and output shaft directly. The Gen 2/3 reads the transmission output shaft in the engine case and the Gen 4/5 reads the rear wheel speed.

Quick test of the sensor would be to mount it back on the cover and hold the sprocket cover in place to see if that clears the code. With the rear wheel in the air, you can spin it by hand to see if you get a speed reading on the cluster. Other than that, you might want to just remove it and put some black electrical tape over the warning light. :badteeth: :idea: :wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The older models did not hold the code in memory for awhile like the newer ones do. There should be nothing to reset for that. If the sensor is still causing the issue, then there is a small number of possible problems.

The sensor itself is damaged, the wiring is damaged, or the fact that it's not properly reading the sprocket is causing the output voltage to be out-of-range. The other thing would be the ECU is faulty. :headshake: But we can rule that one out!

The Gen 1s used a slightly different setup than the later ones with the sensor mounted on the outside of the sprocket cover. It reads the countershaft sprocket and output shaft directly. The Gen 2/3 reads the transmission output shaft in the engine case and the Gen 4/5 reads the rear wheel speed.

Quick test of the sensor would be to mount it back on the cover and hold the sprocket cover in place to see if that clears the code. With the rear wheel in the air, you can spin it by hand to see if you get a speed reading on the cluster. Other than that, you might want to just remove it and put some black electrical tape over the warning light. :badteeth: :idea: :wink:
I kind of threw the cover in the bin as, for some reason, part of it seem to have been chewed away by the sprocket?
Like i said, i know that the error comes from the sensor and it does not really bother me, however i would not be able to notice a fault should one arise this way.
I suppose the sensor is magnetic or, at least, measures voltage somehow using that weird sprocket nut, right?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,548 Posts
I kind of threw the cover in the bin as, for some reason, part of it seem to have been chewed away by the sprocket?
Like i said, i know that the error comes from the sensor and it does not really bother me, however i would not be able to notice a fault should one arise this way.
I suppose the sensor is magnetic or, at least, measures voltage somehow using that weird sprocket nut, right?

Correct. It should be an inductive sensor that uses an electromagnetic field to track the rotation. That provides a variable current that has both a minimum and a max reading. If the ECU isn't seeing the minimum, then it may throw an error code thinking the sensor is faulty when it just isn't registering properly away from the nut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts