Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2017 ZX10R
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I removed my rear disc rotor in order to perform a rear brake delete. Calipers/lines and all have been removed along with the rear disc but I kept the bracket in place since I don't have a rear delete spacer yet.

Anyway during my first ride after putting everything back together the bike constantly throws a code P2158 (speed sensor) and the check engine/the triangle yellow light comes on. Traction control disables and my QS(Upshsifts stock working). Since I have a Aim MXK10 I'm able to clear the code from the instrument panel, but after I ride for another 5-10 minutes the bike throws the codes again. I rode back home and made sure the speed sensor was secured properly and it's definitely torqued down correctly. Also the speedometer works properly and displays the speed even after the code pops up.

Does the rear brake rotor work in tandem with the rear speed sensor? I performed my rear delete in sections over a period of a week and finally was able to get a air gun to remove the rear brake rotor today...so I know the code is related to this part because the code issue didn't show up until after I removed the rear brake rotor.

Any help would be great;y appreciated.

· Registered
2017 ZX10R
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I think I figured it out. When I removed the rear disc rotor I failed to re-install the star shaped metal plate that was installed on top of the rotor. I assume this metal plate is what the sensor calculates it readings from. I was in the process of ordering a new sensor wire when I saw several ads with this metal plate and sensor wire, so that's when it dawned on me that I didn't install it after removing the rear rotor.

Body jewelry Crankset Jewellery Font Bicycle part

Update and for future reference:

I took the bike out today for a lengthy ride and the error code didn't appear again, so this definitely fixed the issue I was having.

Have a great day!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts