Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to do a track day when I get to NC, it's not gonna happen in Hawaii. I've been looking at a lot of suits lately, and found some cheap here.
http://www.topgearleather.com/ I noticed that a lot of the suits have speed humps on the back, but a lot of the suits on there do not. I'm just curious if the humps are a necessity or not. Those suits are more manageable price wise for me, but I am definitely willing to dig a little deeper for better fit, function, and quality.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,020 Posts
I think the speed humps are mainly for aerodynamic aid. Im not sure if an every day guy would ever actually benefit from it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Another thing the hump does is protect your neck in the event you crash and slide along on your back...feet first. If you slide over a "bump", it makes for a "cleaner" slide, preventing the back of your head/helmet from snagging on something. Also, it helps to reduce any possible "whiplash". I'm surprised more suits and jackets don't come with it standard.:dontknow:

·
Chairman of the Board
16,020 Posts
Another thing the hump does is protect your neck in the event you crash and slide along on your back...feet first. If you slide over a "bump", it makes for a "cleaner" slide, preventing the back of your head/helmet from snagging on something. Also, it helps to reduce any possible "whiplash". I'm surprised more suits and jackets don't come with it standard.:dontknow:
Never thought/heard/realized that Hooligan. Thanks for the knowledge Bro'.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
^^^:+2: I wouldn't own a suit without one! Helps on aerodynamics along with protection no doubt! My biggest thing that it helps with is head chatter! Prime example=when your helmet moves side to side at high speeds sometimes...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Never thought/heard/realized that Hooligan. Thanks for the knowledge Bro'.
Several years ago at Bike Week in Daytona, a guy from Teknic explained that to me. I was looking at one of Curtis Roberts' "used" suits on display and was looking at the the large skid mark down the back of the suit. He explained how Curtis always tried to slide on his back, feet first, and he showed me how the hump works by holding a helmet up to it and explaining the "physics" involved. I thought it was only for aerodynamics too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
the only minor flaw with the hump is that you cant carry a backpack! Has anyone found a workaround or alternative for this?? I ride to my country club on weekends, its a gorgeous highway 22 mile one way ride and I usually have to carry some minor stuff, golf shoes, extra sweater...

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
the only minor flaw with the hump is that you cant carry a backpack! Has anyone found a workaround or alternative for this?? I ride to my country club on weekends, its a gorgeous highway 22 mile one way ride and I usually have to carry some minor stuff, golf shoes, extra sweater...
Use a tail bag. We ride the back roads of St Louis all the time (300+ miles round trip) and a lot of guys have a tail bag that they use to carry "just in case" stuff. Plus with using a tail bag instead of a tank bag is it doesn't get in the way when your riding.

To the OP, I'm not saying these are bad suits (cause I really don't know) but I have learned that if you are willing to spend the time you can find name brand suits that are used for the same price, or cheaper. For example I got a two piece Teknic suit for $225 shipped to my door via ebay. Also if you check the WERA boards there are TONS of guys selling suits. With deals out there I will probably never buy new gear again, with the exception of helmets.

I dont know what size you are but here are a couple examples

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=263705

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=263467

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=263455

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Alot of times they are removable, least on mine it is. there is a zipper inside the jacket and the back protector and speed hump are removable for either cleaning or replacement.

I take the hump out for normal commuter driving, put it back in for track days.

I took out the back protector and wear a pnumatic/armor one under the jacket.

the hump will keep your head down, I could hardly stand it the first time I road with it in, constantly hitting me in the back of the helmet and rubbing against the helmet when doing head checks... but you get used to it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm not exactly sure what size suit I would wear. I'm 6'1 245 currently, but I'm on Medifast and hope to be around 200 soon. I'm going to wait to buy a suit until then, but I've been looking. I would prefer a 2 piece suit cuz I'd like to use a mesh jacket with the pants on the street. The reason I'm asking about the humps is because the suit from my original post is $300 with no hump. If I wanted the hump they would make me a completely custom suit for $500, sized to me exactly colors of my choice anything I want basically. Most other places charge well over $2000 for something like that. I was just curious. I like this one on new enough too though. http://www.newenough.com/street/suits/leather_racing_suits/agv/palomar_two_piece_leather_motorcycle_race_suit.html
The lure of a custom is very appealing though. Price is my main concern. I will need it to ride on the track and there's a lot more gear I will need: boots, gauntlet gloves, back protector. A very high initial cost for something that might only happen once. I take very good care of the things I own so I know it will last a long time, just worried about initial costs. Just looking for opinions.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
If you decide to buy sooner let me know. Sounds like my suit would fit you pretty good. I also have A*s boots that are in great shape I may consider parting with as well. Just throwing it out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts