Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.sparxhelmets.com/

Just got my new SparX S-07 helmet this past Thursday and figured I would give you guys and update.

The Good:
First of all, this helmet is an AWESOME deal. It is $109.99 MSRP, DOT and ECE-2205 certified, and weighs only 3lbs 5.3oz (for comparisons sake, a shoei X-Eleven weighs 3lbs 7.2oz)

The helmet is pretty good quality. The liner is just as soft as my Shark RSI helmet and absorbs sweat very good. It is also less noisy in most conditions, which was surprising. It vents pretty well, and even has visor vents similar to the higher end Arai helmets. I also noticed no buffetting, even at high speeds.

5-Year Replacement Plan. If you damage your helmet in a crash, all you need to do is send SparX a copy of the police report, short summary on how the helmet performed, and the damaged helmet and they will send you a replacement helmet.

The Bad:
For some reason, the helmet is quite loud when in a full tuck. Much louder than normal riding. I had a similar issue with my old Scorpion Exo-700, but no such occurrence with the Shark RSI. Would not be a problem for street riding or for riders wearing ear plugs (SparX actually supplies a set).

The biggest issue i have with the helmet is the visor area. I don't like the visor installation/removal system. It is not hard by any means, but it isn't great. It is similar in design to the Shoei RF-1000, but not as easy to operate. I am hopeful that it becomes a bit easier once it is used more.

Now to my biggest annoyance:
The visor does not close all of the way by just pulling down on the tab on the front. The side with the tab closes while the right side stays open (if just barely). This is solved by closing the visor from the middle area (with a bit of force) instead of the tab, but it is still annoying.

Verdict:
If you are looking for an affordable, lightweight, comfortable helmet with and extremely good warranty then you should try out the SparX S-07. Visor issues aside, I am very happy with it.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Right on. I think everyone should review the products they get. I was looking at a Sparx...I like the retro that is white with red stripes.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
thanks for the info, but i can not bring myself to only spend a hundred buck on the most important appendage on my body. Im sure that when we buy suomy, shark, and all the other top of the line ones we are paying for a lot of the name, but i also think that the more expensive helmet brands are expensive for a reason.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
nice write-up
my boy got one a while back when they 1st came out, he aint got much money so this was helmet he had to go with, and to this day he loves.his came w/2 visors smoke and clear, bag and stickers.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Right on. I think everyone should review the products they get. I was looking at a Sparx...I like the retro that is white with red stripes.
I was eyeballing the retro one as well. I like it a lot, but just not enough to buy it :)

I was thinking about posting some more reviews of some stuff i have tried out recently ( I am a sucker for trying out new things). I think i will. If i can help someome make a good decision and save them the hassle of all the research involved then i figure i have done some good :)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info, but i can not bring myself to only spend a hundred buck on the most important appendage on my body. Im sure that when we buy suomy, shark, and all the other top of the line ones we are paying for a lot of the name, but i also think that the more expensive helmet brands are expensive for a reason.
I used to agree with you, but since trying a Shoei Rf-1000, Scorpion EXO-700, Shark RSI, and SparX S-07 i can honestly say that they are all of very good quality.

There does seem to be quite a bit of thought put into the inside of the helmets of both the Shark and SparX though. This may be due to the ECE certification. The SparX has a padded rubber area on the inside of the top of the helmet to absorb impact. The Shark had ridges cut into the interior.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
:+2:
Yeah, good write up. And actually I have a friend who just bought two of these helmets. He unfortunately had the opportunity to "test" it out the other night too! Overall it held up great and just has the usual rash marks, no visible cracks or any other damage. For the money it's not a bad deal....

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I emailed SparX about the problem I was having with the visor not closing all the way and they called me back today (i emailed them yesterday around 5PM).

The guy was very very nice and is going to UPS me a new set of the plastic side pieces that hold the visor in place. One of them does stick a little and he said it was probably just an odd manufacturing defect.

He was also very adamant that I contact him directly if it doesn't fix the problem so that they can take care of it.

I was very pleased with the entire experience and will update this thread when the new parts arrive

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
I emailed SparX about the problem I was having with the visor not closing all the way and they called me back today (i emailed them yesterday around 5PM).

The guy was very very nice and is going to UPS me a new set of the plastic side pieces that hold the visor in place. One of them does stick a little and he said it was probably just an odd manufacturing defect.

He was also very adamant that I contact him directly if it doesn't fix the problem so that they can take care of it.

I was very pleased with the entire experience and will update this thread when the new parts arrive
Let me know if those side pieces actually fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do. I think they actually will, i noticed that the right side piece doesn't operate as freely as the left and i think thats what is causing the problem. I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thats for the review.

In contrary to their review, i did receive earplugs with my helmet.

In addition, i am required to wear eyeglasses and have had no problems at all sliding the glasses into the helmet. It is easier than my scorpion helmet was.

Also, i don't experience any issues trying to find the tab to lift the visor, but that could have a lot to do with hand size and glove type as well.

Overall its a very good review though. Thanks for the link! Rep sent

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a bit of an update:
I received my new side plates and installed them and the problem is not gone.

I emailed the customer service guy (Very nice guy, gave me his direct contact info) and he called me on my phone. He asked if i would take some pictures tonight and email them in. So i will be doing that.

They have offered for me to send in my helmet for free repair and if they cannot repair it they would send me a new helmet. However, i told him my bike is my primary transportation and its my only helmet, so he is trying to find a solution for me.

Overall, it is disappointing that i am having the issue with the visor. It is not a deal-breaker, but it is a little annoying having to close the visor on both sides. I will say that their customer support is very good so far. The guy I have been talking to is very nice and seems genuinely concerned about my issue.

Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's really no biggie. It is an awesome helmet and i have gotten used to closing the visor from the center instead of the tab. But at the same time, i would like to get it fixed someway :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts