Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have trouble getting spark plugs for a first gen? cant seem to get them anywhere

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
NGK CR9EIA-9 cycle gear or most bike shops should carry them. Haven't scene them in an auto store though.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
advance auto part stores carry them in stock for 6 bucks a piece.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
advance auto part stores carry them in stock for 6 bucks a piece.

For the iridiums?? I have never seen them that cheap. I get mine at napa, usually around $10 a plug (i have no hookups down here yet)

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
I had a hard time finding them around Chicago.... imo you better off buying them online.
And 10 bucks a pop sounds about right

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive tried buying them from 2 local kawi dealers they said they are backordered, also motorcycle superstore told me they are backorder after they charged 45 bucks to my card

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I do it removing tank, airbox, evap and wiring in the way from the top. You will have to then remove both side farings and frame supports. Some people say you have to remove the radiator however i dont. There is a really good writeup on here for how to do it with pics. If your a good mechanic it will take you about an hour, of a tinkerer give yourself a couple hours and a couple beers.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
is there an easy way to change em or is removing tank and airbox the easiest way besides dropping motor??
Lol, you are in for a threat
Remove tank
Airbox (got to spin it lol)
And then the fun part, swing 2 of the motor mounts out so you can access all 4 spark plugs.

There is a how to somewhere

·
Registered
319 Posts
so its impossible to reach all 4 from the top?? why is that when i can easily see all 4 from the top after air box and egr is out of way

·
Registered
60 Posts
so its impossible to reach all 4 from the top?? why is that when i can easily see all 4 from the top after air box and egr is out of way

You can't get the 2 stick coils on the outsides out without sliding the engine mounts out of the way. It took me about 4 hours.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
For the iridiums?? I have never seen them that cheap. I get mine at napa, usually around $10 a plug (i have no hookups down here yet)
yep i couldnt belive it myself but thats wat i gave for mine here.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
I do it removing tank, airbox, evap and wiring in the way from the top. You will have to then remove both side farings and frame supports. Some people say you have to remove the radiator however i dont. There is a really good writeup on here for how to do it with pics. If your a good mechanic it will take you about an hour, of a tinkerer give yourself a couple hours and a couple beers.
for a gen1 or gen2 .. cause i have a gen2 and i dont have to remove any side fairings or radiator:headshake

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
for a gen1 or gen2 .. cause i have a gen2 and i dont have to remove any side fairings or radiator:headshake

The OP was asking for a gen 1. You dont have to remove the radiator, however you do have to move the frame braces to clear the # 1 and 4 coils. I have no idea about the gen 2, have not had to work on one.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i got all the plugs out now finally found them should be here on monday and yeah def had to take out the braces above the coils on the sides, atleast while i was waiting for parts i had ambition to clean the throttle bodies and silicon my valve cover

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
The OP was asking for a gen 1. You dont have to remove the radiator, however you do have to move the frame braces to clear the # 1 and 4 coils. I have no idea about the gen 2, have not had to work on one.
I got mine out .. It was a PITA and had to bend / push the outers but they came out .. ... Ill look into the brace . as I am changing the plugs this weekend.:headshake:dontknow:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts