Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a scorpion helmet now, i like it but after about an hour of riding my forehead is killing me, i'm curious if others have had "forehead" issues with different helmets and possibly found a good fix.
i'v been told the shoei x-eleven, is great for this. also i would really like a quiet helmet, my scorpion is very loud i have to ride with earplugs.
thanks

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Proper fitment is the key when purchasing a new lid so be patient when shopping. It must fit snug but not tight so try them on and walk around the store for 5min. Scorpion is not a quality lid so ya kinda get what ya pay for.

BD

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i have a kbc vr2, and after a few hours it starts to hurt thr forehead. but i've only noticed this on days when i've been riding damn near all day, like the 400 mile trip to monterey last summer. it only hurts after a long while, not just one hour. as said above, proper fitment is paramount, so try on lots of lids before deciding which one to get. and yes, the shoeis are great; very light, and also very quiet (but still good ventalation). check helmetharbor.com for a good writeup comparison between the top line of helmets from 4 or 5 of the top brands.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You should always wear ear plugs anyhow.....

I like my KBC's, no other helmet fits MY head like'em... I've been through almost all the major names and the KBC's just so happen to fit the shape of my head the best....

The arai was the most painful for me.... Just try on all the major brands you'll find one that fits you well sooner or later.....

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Thats the reason I sold my suomy. I had a pressure point on my forehead and it would give me a headache after about an hour. The shape of the helmet wasnt the shape of my head and that sounds like your problem. I went through 4 helmets before finally getting an arai astral that fits me perfect. I rode 300 miles yesterday with no problem except my hearing because I forgot my ear plugs.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
My Arai Quantum is the only one I've found that doesn't give me that pressure spot.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Man, I know you're problem. I went thru so many helmets. The only one I found that fits goos is a HJC brand. My fitted hats are a size 8. So finding a helmet is murder for me unless it's a HJC.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Just remember even the Arais have different shapes between models.

I'm a signet, astral and whatever they replaced that with, long oval shape here.
I can't really wear the Quantum/rx series of I get the pressure on the forehead too.

I think shoei also has different shapes between models now.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Scorpion is not a quality lid so ya kinda get what ya pay for.

BD
I've got a friend that races SEMRA and he has crash tested a few Scorpion helmets at the track and says they crash well, for what that's worth.

I guess you get 'hand-made' if you pay for 'hand-made'.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I've got a friend that races SEMRA and he has crash tested a few Scorpion helmets at the track and says they crash well, for what that's worth.

I guess you get 'hand-made' if you pay for 'hand-made'.
its not worth much thats for sure.

BD

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You have the wrong size helmet.

I learned a few years ago, after numerous Shoei induced headaches, that I have a weird shaped head. I use the Signet from Arai, which is a regular large helmet with medium inside pads on the front and rear.

Can you order and replace the padding in your current helmet?

HTH
Phil

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
or you could take the advice I received from a drill sergeant many years ago when my new Kevlar helmet didn't fit well. He informed me it was a mind over matter situation -- translation: if you don't mind it don't matter :lol:

·
Registered
332 Posts
This isn't the best solution, and now with that said.

You can speed the break-in process by pressing on the area that is bugging you with your thumbs.

It’s hard to find a helmet that fits just right everywhere. I’d rather have it a little tight and uncomfortable when new than too loose.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
sorry, couldn't resist-

Attachments

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
i have a scorpion helmet now, i like it but after about an hour of riding my forehead is killing me, i'm curious if others have had "forehead" issues with different helmets and possibly found a good fix.
i'v been told the shoei x-eleven, is great for this. also i would really like a quiet helmet, my scorpion is very loud i have to ride with earplugs.
thanks
i think my scorpion is a little louder then my past helmets over the years but the feel and fit is great. no forehead issues

·
Registered
614 Posts
It's a pretty common problem. There's seems to be two kinda of people, those with an Arai head, and those with a Shoei head.

While those aren't the only brands that have similar sizes, it's quite common for people to go to Arai if they have forehead problems (in regards to helmets). I know I fit an Arai beautifully but Shoei doesn't do too much for me. Having said that, the X11 is more of an Arai shape internally, hence is good for those people who have the forehead problem.

Out of the other manufactuers I guess you need to do some research. In any case, it's Arai for me. Always feels like a nice comfy chair. Can ride in it all day with no problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts