Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Gen3
347 Posts
Measure minimum slack at the tightest point observed as the wheel is spinned, in case you haven't already.
Also, make sure the upper portion of the chain (above swingarm) does not move as you move and measure slack on the lower portion. Otherwise, pushing the slack to minimum spec means over-tighten.

The noise, is probably from loose/worn rollers (see picture above), this cannot be measured with chain slack, but can be inspected by rolling some of the rollers with finger. If there is sufficient grease/chainwax between the roller and pins, it should silence the chain sufficiently. Chains with loose rollers (freeplay against the pins) should be replaced, even if the chain does not kink, elongate out of spec etc...

·
Registered
Gen3
347 Posts
Pic of the stripped chain block nut please? What happened? I might learn a thing or two.
Also, I don't quite get the "block adjusters on the "wrong" sides ", can you elaborate?

·
Registered
Gen3
347 Posts
There are two types of front sprockets, one other is with a damper ring.
I was told these are quiet, and those without tend to give a 'rrrrrr' sound (depending also on chain brands) which increases in pitch (frequency) as the bike speed increases, in all gears.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Bicycle drivetrain part

·
Registered
Gen3
347 Posts
Can you try spin the rear wheel without the chain, in other words, if the noise is from any one of the rear wheel/sprocket bearings.
What 'dampening equipment' did she (the mechanic) mean?

·
Registered
Gen3
347 Posts
Chain slider? I think you ought to have this protecting the swingarm, right?
Chain cover, definitely, especially a used one with gunks of chain lube mixed with road grime will dampen chain noise.

·
Registered
Gen3
347 Posts
Came in the mail along with new chain and sprockets. Took a look for myself and it's not actually missing at all. Further look into sprocket covers and it doesn't appear they come with insulation in the cover. Not even sure what she was talking about at this point. Waiting on a socket and I'll find out if the noise is from any of that.
Sprocket cover has no insulation, that was the comment from her that I was curious about, and I had hoped to clarify it and prevented unnecessary expense.
I hope to hear from you soon. Too bad if you cannot resolve this..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts