Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I agree with RBZ10R. My impression of the video is the chain is too tight. It's a good thing you loosened it after.

Chain slack adjustments are really frustrating! I always have a hard time telling exactly what 1.25" looks like with a tape measure so I had to develop a general feel for what's too tight or too loose. At least Lightech chain adjusters make it so much easier since it moves the entire wheel and holds the axle in place while you make adjustments. I highly recommend them although they're a lot of money for convenience and the unsprung weight sucks too.

As for chain line, it's sooo important. I've read that you can't depend on the swingarm markings to align your chain but mine are spot on and I stopped using my alignment tool after the 2nd time.

To the uninitiated out there, chain alignment tools are really neat by design and are cheap too. This is the Revzilla link to the industry standard Motion Pro tool and it's only $17.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Supersprox actually have a bad reputation for failures and they aren't even that light.

A lot of brands now have superlight steel sprockets that close the weight difference with aluminum and they cost less and last longer too. That's what I'd go for. Drive Systems and Driven sprockets to name a couple.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Dang. The nut is stripped. I'm pretty sure that the only solution is to pick up some sweet Italian made Lightech chain adjusters to fix the problem. They come with their own fasteners so you won't need the original bolt and nut any more.

As for the OEM blocks, it's been awhile since I had them on my bike but I'm almost certain they only work with a particular end of the axle. Reversing the axle means reversing everything else at the same time.

Reactions: CoyoteB4

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You've probably already come across a different test in your research, but if you haven't, try it instead. Personally, I always found the bounce test to be difficult to discern so you can also try a pull test which is super easy and always gives a definitive result.

Grip the chain at the 3 o'clock position on the rear sprocket and pull it directly away from the teeth (still on a 3'oclock plane). The 6 and 12 o'clock teeth engage the chain and allow you to see the level of interaction between the 2 parts on the short section of links between them. When everything is brand new the chain will barely move but once the parts are worn you'll be able to separate the chain a certain amount away from the 3 o'clock teeth and see that the engagement is quite "loose".

I can't describe what "loose" looks like but there should be examples on Youtube. I recall that Dave Moss has a chain wear video and it might include the pull test.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Right on! Unusual noises are so damn annoying and I can understand how that would get under your skin. I really wonder if the Supersprox sprocket was the cause. It was the only unconventional part in that assembly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts