Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I was filling up I pulled the nozzle out of the tank so I could two hand it to better control the flow, and when I did that, it looked like something fell off the rubber shroud that goes around the pump nozzle. It looked like it kinda bounced around a little bit along the rim of my gas tank, and then just disappeared into the dark abyss. It kinda looked how maybe a small piece of foam or rubber might behave when dropped a little distance.

My question is, what could this have been? Are there any rubber pieces on the underside of the gas tank lid? I tried looking in, but there wasn't enough fuel to cover the nook and crannies inside the tank, so I just filled it up to just before the point that the gas would enter the filler neck, i.e. right below the hole - hoping I might see whatever it was...

Should I give a rats ass if there is a little piece of foam or rubber in my tank?

Any ideas other than pulling hoses and stuff, to maybe see if anything is floating on top of the gas?

I'm still hoping that whatever it was didn't go in my tank, but i think it did - it happened very fast.

I pulled the nozzle out of the tank so I could two hand it to better control the flow - Gen-Eric
:laugh2:

·
Registered
39 Posts
No idea what it might have been. Unfortunately. I haven't had a look, but there's usually an o ring somewhere inside the cap, but it's usually big, and you'd notice anything amiss there.
If it was MY bike, I'd cuss, curse the gods, pull the tank and empty it.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,687 Posts
If you know there's something in there, you need to drain the tank and pull the fuel pump and get it out. It's not going to block anything in the tank, but it will probably disintegrate from the fuel. And THAT could fuck up your fuel system ( fuel pump, injectors, etc). Don't wait, get it out. And the only way to do that is emptying the tank and getting everything out. You ain't going to be able to fish it out with 100% confidence.

·
Registered
479 Posts
So as I was filling up I pulled the nozzle out of the tank so I could two hand it to better control the flow, and when I did that, it looked like something fell off the rubber shroud that goes around the pump nozzle. It looked like it kinda bounced around a little bit along the rim of my gas tank, and then just disappeared into the dark abyss. It kinda looked how maybe a small piece of foam or rubber might behave when dropped a little distance.

My question is, what could this have been? Are there any rubber pieces on the underside of the gas tank lid? I tried looking in, but there wasn't enough fuel to cover the nook and crannies inside the tank, so I just filled it up to just before the point that the gas would enter the filler neck, i.e. right below the hole - hoping I might see whatever it was...

Should I give a rats ass if there is a little piece of foam or rubber in my tank?

Any ideas other than pulling hoses and stuff, to maybe see if anything is floating on top of the gas?

I'm still hoping that whatever it was didn't go in my tank, but i think it did - it happened very fast.

:laugh2:

as skydork said... remove and drain tank asap.. don't want it fucking up ur fuel system...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can you have a look at the pump you used and compare it to other pumps there to see if it's missing any parts? If you can ID what it was it might help to know what you're looking for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you have a look at the pump you used and compare it to other pumps there to see if it's missing any parts? If you can ID what it was it might help to know what you're looking for.
Gen 5 gas cap is where I think it came from.

CAP-TANK
51049-0721

It looks like there is a little pressure release valve or something ... I think it came off that... Can anyone confirm any tiny rubber pieces under the "cap-tank"?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Take tank off, drain it, and flip it over and shake it until that comes out. I just checked my Gen 5 gas cap. The only rubber I saw was on the tank itself where the cas cap has a little metal "tit" that slides into a rubber grommet when you close the gas cap. It is real small.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I tried to attach the pictures. Cannot get photo bucket to work. Hope it helps man.
Mine's a gen.4 and it looks almost exactly like the pix here. There's a small hole in the center where one could imagine a little rubber "tit" being, as some sort of pressure relief but I'm quite sure mine is "as delivered".

·
Registered
837 Posts
Im pretty sure there's a filter system to prevent that causing any problems

·
The Pace
7,158 Posts
Warranty issue. Set up appointment with dealer and report your observation. Request that they check the internals of the tank cap for any missing parts. If anything is missing the tech guy will notice simply comparing diagram with tank cap. My initial feeling is that you're hyper about a new bike. And see things that may not happen. idk. But one thing for sure is that many superbike buyers never owned a hot bike before so sweat stuff. After you have a few supers that will pass. I guess.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had something similar happen before. I had an Aprilia Tuono that had a small metal piece welded to the fuel opening area, that was supposed to stop the nozzle of a fuel filler from going too far into the tank during fill ups. Well of course, 4 months after I got the bike as I was getting gas the piece breaks off and disappears into the tank.. I pestered the dealer until he fixed it under warranty repair. I wouldn't want anything sitting in there longer than it had to be..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts