Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 zx10r with the electronic steering stabilizer. bike has 1600 miles on it. has an akrapovic slip on and an aftermarket led fender eliminator.

while riding, my ESD light and notification comes on. I pull over, cycle the bike off, and it goes away. Shortly it comes back on again. the entire ride. this has been going on for weeks now.

Its still under warranty. my dealer has looked at it twice and cant come up with anything. they claim to have called kawasaki tech line and i suggested that maybe it was the leds causing different voltage. so they let it go for a day and called me back and they were like yup definitely your leds.

So i unplugged the whole rear fender eliminator today on my ride and it still came on. Not sure how someone that tracks this bike and runs without taillights or blinkers avoids this problem but to me it seems like the led isnt the answer.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have a 2015 zx10r with the electronic steering stabilizer. bike has 1600 miles on it. has an akrapovic slip on and an aftermarket led fender eliminator.

while riding, my ESD light and notification comes on. I pull over, cycle the bike off, and it goes away. Shortly it comes back on again. the entire ride. this has been going on for weeks now.

Its still under warranty. my dealer has looked at it twice and cant come up with anything. they claim to have called kawasaki tech line and i suggested that maybe it was the leds causing different voltage. so they let it go for a day and called me back and they were like yup definitely your leds.

So i unplugged the whole rear fender eliminator today on my ride and it still came on. Not sure how someone that tracks this bike and runs without taillights or blinkers avoids this problem but to me it seems like the led isnt the answer.

Does anyone have a fix for this?
alot of people with the esd light coming on has been either loose battery connections and or low voltage from the battery itself.

1. = check connections

2. = replace battery (ie shoria lithium battery)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yup, what Clutchcrusader said. I had this happen twice and the 4th Gen is notorious because of the common ESD fault. In most cases it's simply a loose battery terminal or an OEM Yuasa battery that's no longer at peak efficiency which is what this bike requires.

Check terminals first, then if the problem persists, replace the Yuasa with a Shorai battery.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i checked connections they were tight. the battery is only a couple months old could it really be bad already?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had the same experience and as other have stated, it was a loose connection on the battery twice. I mean by hand it felt tight, but I got a wrench on it and tightened them a bit more and issue was gone. The third time was my fault, I left the bike with the key in the on position after checking the turn signals and the battery drained completely. I put the battery on the charger overnight and in the morning the bike turned on but on my way to work the light kept coming on, I'm assuming due to low voltage. On the ride home it was fine. Have you tried pulling the code?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no i was under the impression this was a separate ecu that wont pull codes. i thought ESD light just meant ESD issue haha

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Replace battery with Shorai and use Shorai charger. Many have had this including myself. I get an ESD light now maybe every 1000 miles, usually hitting some very rough pavement hard on gas will trigger it. Ignition reset always solves it along with slightly mellower riding.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i replaced the battery with shorai. took the bike out today for some spirited riding and the light came on a few times. Maybe five or six in 200 miles. Much better than previous but still more than i should be seeing this light. any input? could suspension settings have something to do with this? should i have dealer swap ecu and stabilizer? Its still under warranty but theyve been no help to me

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i replaced the battery with shorai. took the bike out today for some spirited riding and the light came on a few times. Maybe five or six in 200 miles. Much better than previous but still more than i should be seeing this light. any input? could suspension settings have something to do with this? should i have dealer swap ecu and stabilizer? Its still under warranty but theyve been no help to me
Are you making sure the bike is motionless when you turn on the key and allow it to go through the self-check, and when you thumb the starter? Also did you charge the Shorai with a proper Shorai charger? You can mess up the LiFe batteries with a regular charger.

I have only had my ESD light come on a few times in a few thousand miles after I changed out the battery to the Shorai.

Also are you hammering it, as in whacking the throttle hard over bumpy pavement? Because that sometimes confuses the wheelspeed sensors. Also make sure it is not an ABS warning since I think that light is a common alarm for more than one system.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i did not charge the battery at all. the book said i didnt need to. i do keep the bike motionless, it is on the kickstand when i start it most of the time. and yes i do whack it over bumpy pavement sometimes. and i dont have abs

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i did not charge the battery at all. the book said i didnt need to. i do keep the bike motionless, it is on the kickstand when i start it most of the time. and yes i do whack it over bumpy pavement sometimes. and i dont have abs
You got some bad info.

Here is what the Shorai website says:

Before installing your new LFX battery it is important to fully charge the battery. As delivered the battery is capacity is less than 100%. Properly charging the battery before use will condition and break in the cells in a controlled manner to maximize performance and extend the batteries lifespan. See the charge time reference sheet for estimates on the charging times. Most Shorai LFX battery models will fully charge in 1-2 hours from 30% SOC when using a typical charger with a 2A rate. For larger batteries like the LFX36 and using a low output trickle charger with 0.75A rate, may require up to 12 hours to fully charge.

The whacking over bumps will trigger it, that's what I found out. Not that I ride any differently but it hardly every throws a light any more, just once in a long while.

So charge that bad boy up and see what happens. They run a higher voltage, about 2V higher than the standard type, but they have to be charged up fully, the alternator won't do the job unless it's had a full complete charge when installed.

I actually did have to recharge mine one time and now I always keep it on the Shorai charger on the STORE mode if not being ridden.

·
Registered
231 Posts
2016 model here. I had the same issue that got progressively worse. Ended up with no steering damper 90% of the time.
Kawasaki and Ohlins ended up looking into it and could not figure it out.
Just last week Kawa warrantied it all and swapped out the bikes ECU, the dampers ECU, and the reg-rec. Zero issues since.

Neither myself, the dealer, or Kwakka know what the root cause was. Warranty it asap.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
2016 model here. I had the same issue that got progressively worse. Ended up with no steering damper 90% of the time.
Kawasaki and Ohlins ended up looking into it and could not figure it out.
Just last week Kawa warrantied it all and swapped out the bikes ECU, the dampers ECU, and the reg-rec. Zero issues since.

Neither myself, the dealer, or Kwakka know what the root cause was. Warranty it asap.
Yes you should definitely have it looked into if it's under warranty.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Easy test is to fit the standard rear fender and see if it happens again. Im not sure if the bike notices the drop in watts to the light and it throws up a fault.
Reason being everyone who has this fault has a led fender.
My gen4 has had it a few times although not recently

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so it is fixed!! brought it to the dealer after calling kawasaki tech support. they informed me they would swap out the steering damper ECU under warranty as long as the dealer verified the light was on. jumped on, got the light to come on, and brought it over to the dealer. they ordered the ECU and swapped it out and i havent seen the light since

1 - 17 of 17 Posts