Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a good air shifter setup for my 2006 ZX10R but am having the hardest damn time figuring out what exactly I will need to have a complete kit. Can anyone help me?

Just looking for a simple pull-type shifter that uses a nitrous filled bottle for it's shifting "juice" per say. Do I need any ignition modules to kill the ignition on the shift? How much can I expect to spend?

Any help is appreciated. The drag section is my last hope! No one in the other sections ever replies

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
http://www.cycle-tek.com/

here is the air shifter i use its about $350 it is a co2 kit, by far is superior to the compressor air systems, al you do is have your bottle filled with co2 before you go to the track and your good to go, it uses a regulator so your shifts have the same amout of air everytime, the bottle usually lasts me about 3 trips to the track, and it only costs 2 bucks to get filled. i have been using it for a year and a half and i have not missed 1 shift, over 300 passes

Im sure you could use nitrous

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
i have heard of people using N2O rather than Co2... im not sure what the differance would be....

codyc_13... how many passes will you make with your bottle during your 3 trips???

·
Registered
683 Posts
The reason they use N20 is because they fit a nitrous line on it with a T-connector and spray the motor with nitrous trying to be slick. You can spray nitrous discreetly and also use it to shift the bike !!!! Especially if u use the small 9oz. nitorus bottles that can be hidden relatively easy....

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
The reason they use N20 is because they fit a nitrous line on it with a T-connector and spray the motor with nitrous trying to be slick. You can spray nitrous discreetly and also use it to shift the bike !!!! Especially if u use the small 9oz. nitorus bottles that can be hidden relatively easy....
never thought about that...... i think i like that idea... not to be sneeky, but kill 2 birds with one stone with the bottle....

sounds like u have some knowledge of this!!!!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yes you will need a 4 coil ign. kill box or a t kill (old school, but still works). That cycletek kit is a great set up. Matt is a sponsor at my local series and is out there every race helping out with setups even if it has nothing to do with his product. You can also get a kit from schnitz or mps. Any of them with the ign kill, ram, bottle, valve, lines, an fittings will run you $3-400. A lot people run nitrous through there airshifters to cut down on bottles and weight. One thing to think about when doing this, is there can be a pressure drop in the nitrous when hitting the airshifter.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
i have heard of people using N2O rather than Co2... im not sure what the differance would be....

codyc_13... how many passes will you make with your bottle during your 3 trips???
um it really just depends, I bracket race in the PMRA so i would say 50 or 60 passes at 5 shifts per pass. then i get the bottle filled I have never ran the bottle dry so it may have alot more passes than that. Thats with a 9oz bottle. now im using the 20oz bottle and it lasts forever i just fill it whenever i think its getting low!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there anyone that offers a complete bolt on kit? I looked at the Cycle Tek and the other kit but neither of them offer the shifter bracket or an 06, only 04-05. Anyone know where I can get an 06 bracket?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Is there anyone that offers a complete bolt on kit? I looked at the Cycle Tek and the other kit but neither of them offer the shifter bracket or an 06, only 04-05. Anyone know where I can get an 06 bracket?
cycle teks shifter bolts right up!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like I know who I'm going with then! Thanks for the help man, bike looks great btw :thumbsup:

Oh and also, does the cycle tek come with the ignition kill module or will I need to buy one elsewhere?

·
Registered
312 Posts

Hypothetically, if you didn't have the airshifter...how much would you take off your 9.62 @ 142 time?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
it really all depends on the rider IMO, i have ran a 9.68 without the airshifter, BUT The air shifter makes it way easier and more consistant.

·
Registered
312 Posts
it really all depends on the rider IMO, i have ran a 9.68 without the airshifter, BUT The air shifter makes it way easier and more consistant.

I know that drag races are won and lost by milliseconds and every little bit of an advantage helps. Trying to justify buying a top notch (and costly) system such as this to someone that does not understand would be very difficult for me. I love the whole drag scene but to be somewhat competitive you have to sacrifice the almighty $$$ which is tight for a lot of us now days. Maybe one day after I knock out all the small stuff I will be able to move on to toys such as these. Thanks for the info and nice lookin' bike too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Astrosled, It's good to see on here hope your recovering well! I switched to GP shift which seems to have helped quicken my shifts. I will be hitting the track this weekend to hopefully see some results.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Astrosled, It's good to see on here hope your recovering well! I switched to GP shift which seems to have helped quicken my shifts. I will be hitting the track this weekend to hopefully see some results.
Thank you for the kind words sir. I'm feeling a little better every day..so far. Good luck at the track and let us know what kind of results you see. I am trying to be like a sponge with all this stuff man. I love it. Again...good luck, be safe and take care man.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This looks like a good set up for me looking into it more.

CODYC_13 how far are you extended out back????

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
This looks like a good set up for me looking into it more.

CODYC_13 how far are you extended out back????

Its about 7' over in this pic.... If your talking about the cycletek it is a great system, i have never missed a shift

1 - 18 of 18 Posts