Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I would say yes..It does have the Nissin Calipers but that could be an upgrade. Im not 100% sure from looking at the VIN..best way would be to see if it has Flat side carbs on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i would say that it does have the flats on or so i think .. putting around in first around 20mph and wack the throttle open , makes her bog down abit ...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Classic sign of flat-sides..they dont like to be wacked at low speeds. I'd say it's a 7RR. The only other real way to tell is to tear the gear box apart..LOL

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,567 Posts
You could do that, or check the fuel tank to see if it's aluminum. The standard -7R tanks is made out of steel. The -RR came with an aluminum tank, flat slides, close ratio gearbox, and the solo tail section (plus I think there were additional adjustment levels in the suspension).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Damm, that brings back memories had one not rr but r in 1997, it has rained a lot, but I loved that bike, handle better that the new zx10r but too bad now is very slow by today standards, but I woudn't mind ridding it once in a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah im thinking of it . i know 120hp by today std's are very very slow , but hey i dont think that i am GP capable and there is no chance of me taking it near its limits .

i think the bike is near collectors time , since i dont see very much of them on the road ..

are there any common engine problems with them ? bearings Etc ?

its got a tall 1st gear and hits 110mph in 2nd gear but it goes pretty quickly ..

i must say a 800cc + big bore turning out 150hp + would be great tho! :D

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,567 Posts
That bike will still hold it's own in todays market. You may not beat 'em to a corner with the close ratio gearbox, but you'll beat 'em through it with the handling of a ZX-7.

The bikes are bulletproof. You should have no problems with it if you pick that up. The only issues I heard with guys that bought the RR was that the flat slides were VERY finicky to tune for more Hp. I knew one guy that went through 12 iterations of tuning attempts on the dyno and was never right. They screwed with it for months and couldn't even put it back to stock when they were done with it, so he sold it. :headshake

I certainly wouldn't go wild modifying an RR like that. Certainly not boring it out like that. If you want a project bike, buy a regular -7R and drop a ZX-9 engine into it. That's what I did.

Leave the RR version alone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if i have to convert to $ around $3k

i feel comfy on it . im 6'4 260lbs and thas not often tho

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Damm, that brings back memories had one not rr but r in 1997, it has rained a lot, but I loved that bike, handle better that the new zx10r but too bad now is very slow by today standards, but I woudn't mind ridding it once in a while.
I had the "fancy" 7R in '92 and then a regular 7R in '99. While both were more stable, they weren't better handling by any means.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is the 7rr harder to power wheelie off the throttle ?

i mean the flatsides dont like the blipping ..

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,567 Posts
You will NOT be able to power wheelie the RR at all. The bike is front heavy to begin with, but combine that with the close ratio gearbox and the only thing it'll do is allow you to rail through the corners at highspeed in 1st gear. Even if you changed the sprockets -1/+3 or something crazy, I still think it would be very hard to do without standing up and bouncing the snot out of it, but even then only in 1st gear.

The ZX-7's can wheelie, but it's usually clutched up - and that's with the standard gearbox.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ovious way to tell that this is a true "RR" is the swingarm piviot location plates that can be removed and replaced with ones for a different swing arm pivot angle. That is the 1st thing to look for, the standard ZX7 did not have these removable plates at the swing arm piviots. But you still need to make sure the motor wasen't changed. The "RR" had different cams, Kiehn smooth bore carbs, the sweetest close ratio transmition to ever be put into a stock jap bike and a different back tork limiter clutch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
look , i think if it meets 90 percent of the criteria its more then likely an RR ..

im not too fond on the carbs tho :/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts