Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm asking these in regard to the 06-07, but I suspect all models are much the same.

1. Has anyone tried removing the thermostat ? I'm interested in seeing if there is a temperature drop at all. Experience with the old ZXR750s (aka ZX7) showed a drop of about 10C, and I'm wondering if the 10 will respond the same way.

2. Does anyone bump-start their bike ? Wondering what the compression is like, and if it fires easily. I'll be looking to remove the starter at some point, hence my interest .

3. Has anyone experimented with a smaller battery, for the weight saving ? I find it difficult to believe that the bike requires 10A to run the fuel pump and ECU, but then again this is my first experience of EFI bikes, so what do I know !

Thanks in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Removing a thermostat is not a good idea. Often it allows for coolant to travel through the radiator too quickly which does not bring the coolant temp down enough. I have bump started mine in second gear after the battery went flat and no probs.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
On the battery. 10r's come with a VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) sealed battery, and you can buy the gel batteries which are considerably lighter, added to going down in capacity, you could probably save more than a kilo... don't expect them to be as reliable, but they are cheaper

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mate, for both answers. I had read the same about car cooling systems, and was reluctant to try it on my ZXR, but it worked and consistently ran cooler.

Sounds like the starter is very definitely coming out now :)

Cheers,
Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts