Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Put some new bits and pieces on the green beast today, took down some weights for those interested.....
520 chain and sprocket kit, sprockets only; supersprox rear, can't remember the brand of the front 16/40 @ .88kg, stock front/rear @ 1.01kg
Chain EK mxvz (i think) 520 pitch @ 2.03kg and stock at 2.05kg (I found that interesting)
Carbon front gaurd (osk bodykit) .55kg and stock @ .62kg
Carbon rear hugger and chaingaurd (same brand) @ .36kg and stock at .36 too
Replaced the bolts to hold these on at the same time with pro-bolt ones, .015kg and stock @ .04kg.
And a keyless filler cap, gas-cap-dude (e-bay) @ .15kg, down from .52kg stock.....
Soooo, no real difference in the chain, despite being a 520 over the stock 525 :dontknow:(gearing change should be good though), bugger all in the carbon stuff, the best loss was in the cheapest part..... :rolleyes:
Total for the stock stuff was 4.6kg, and the new stuff 3.985kg, for a total loss of .615kg....
Haven't re-weighed my credit card yet, it's a fair bit lighter though :eyecrazy:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
curious about the chain....was that after cutting it to length?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Put some new bits and pieces on the green beast today, took down some weights for those interested.....
520 chain and sprocket kit, sprockets only; supersprox rear, can't remember the brand of the front 16/40 @ .88kg, stock front/rear @ 1.01kg
Chain EK mxvz (i think) 520 pitch @ 2.03kg and stock at 2.05kg (I found that interesting)
Carbon front gaurd (osk bodykit) .55kg and stock @ .62kg
Carbon rear hugger and chaingaurd (same brand) @ .36kg and stock at .36 too
Replaced the bolts to hold these on at the same time with pro-bolt ones, .015kg and stock @ .04kg.
And a keyless filler cap, gas-cap-dude (e-bay) @ .15kg, down from .52kg stock.....
Soooo, no real difference in the chain, despite being a 520 over the stock 525 :dontknow:(gearing change should be good though), bugger all in the carbon stuff, the best loss was in the cheapest part..... :rolleyes:
Total for the stock stuff was 4.6kg, and the new stuff 3.985kg, for a total loss of .615kg....
Haven't re-weighed my credit card yet, it's a fair bit lighter though :eyecrazy:
Well I guess it just shows how hard it is to get real unsprung weight savings....
Anyway, I too got a Supersprox and Ek mvxz 520 setup waiting to go on. After having looked at it and held it, I firmly believe that the Supersprox are pure snake oil. You "might" get some savings on a 530 setup but I do not think for one second that you save any weight over a well made all steel sprocket in 520. Also think it looks a bit cheesy (rivets look cheap) but that's an opinion.
I also bought a set of aluminum lug nuts at the same time and they don't seem to have any weight so might make up for the extra teeth on the supersprox :dontknow:

I have to say that the best bang for the buck weight savings I have seen yet is the MDA123 battery pack!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
curious about the chain....was that after cutting it to length?
Yep. Before it was 2.2kg. I nearly put it all in the skip.... :lol:
Total savings on the chain/sprocket was only 150 grams (5.29oz), and I'd say most of that was in the ally bit of the supersprox, which is towards the centre of the sprocket, where it will do the least good for rotational mass. Still helps a little with unsprung weight, but I reckon you'd get better results looking at tire weights...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also bought a set of aluminum lug nuts at the same time and they don't seem to have any weight so might make up for the extra teeth on the supersprox :dontknow:

I have to say that the best bang for the buck weight savings I have seen yet is the MDA123 battery pack!!!
Yeh, I went to the local supplier to get some ti ones, but he didn't have any in stock (or ally), any idea of the weight diff?
What's the go with the battery? How much did that shave off?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yeh, I went to the local supplier to get some ti ones, but he didn't have any in stock (or ally), any idea of the weight diff?
What's the go with the battery? How much did that shave off?
Wishful thinking on my part most likely lol. Have not pulled the stock ones off yet but even then I don't think it will be that much, maybe 30-50% less than stock (about what I saved over the stock caliper bolts going to Ti).
If you have a look on some of the the other threads on this, it saves a measurable 7 pounds over the stock batt.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered one :)

Here's a pic of the new bits... (I'll add a pic of the whole thing when I get it out next.)

I also added 5mm to the rear ride height spacer to lift the rear a bit.

And a green screen :mrgreen:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got some ally nuts for the sprocket today, they weigh in at 3.9 grams each, the stockers at 8.9g, times 6 makes a 30 gram saving. Can't wait for the battery to get here :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
If you want to see a cheesy sprocket, go get a Vortex.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Got some ally nuts for the sprocket today, they weigh in at 3.9 grams each, the stockers at 8.9g, times 6 makes a 30 gram saving. Can't wait for the battery to get here :eek:ccasion1
Wow that is a decent savings! I'm planning on installing the 520 kit soon and am wondering about weather to torque the lugs to spec or not? Could the steel bolts could pull the alloy threads? I only paid like $20 so if they where single use I wouldn't cry but....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
:+1:

But even worse, a Supersprox.
Coming from you I will take it as a compliment. So you got pics of the heavier than stock Supersprox on the scale? I find it funny that you call it snakeoil...and monkey see, monkey do on this board. The Vortex sprockets are JUNK. You couldn't pay me to use one.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Sebastian, let me ask you a question,....

Why do you take such personal offense to the fact I don't happen to like something you own? You act like I have insulted you personally. I don't get it when people like you act in that manner. Makes no sense. You act like because I don't like something that you do like, its a personal offense against you by me.

Why do you act like that? Can you explain that?

FWIW, the post of mine you quoted, I deleted not 30 seconds after posting it. I deleted it because after posting it I knew it would not be well received so I deleted it 30 seconds after posting it to avoid this very occurence.

BUT, Good job on recreating it thru "notification via email". You basically want to fight, which is why you did that. Thats absoloute proof of what I am alleging. You took the email version of that post and recreated the post I deleted for the sole purpose of creating strife.

You want to fight because gawd almighty MagicMavis doesn't like something Sebastion owns, so that offends Sebastion, and Sebastion "ain't" gonna take being offended by MagicMavis.

Can you explain that without resorting to immature childish insults? My guess is you can't.

The difference between you and me, when you insult Vortex, I could care less and don't fell offended by you one bit. I wonder why were different like that?
Nice to see you trying to put words in my mouth. I certainly don't think you are almighty. LOL YOU are the one who wrote that stuff, not I. I did however respond to it. I guess you shouldn't write stuff quoting me if you don't want me to respond.

I find it funny. You were the one who took a shot...and I replied. What I don't like is the people who jump on the bandwagon...if you feel it is snakeoil so be it. I am still awaiting proof. I have held both sprockets in my hand, and I can tell you this, the Vortex is not something I would own. So am I namecalling now? Are you high-and-mighty now? :lol:

I think that the SuperSprox Stealth sprockets are good quality, and offer a good way to extend the life of a sprocket. I did not weigh my sprockets, I felt it unnecessary. I specifically went with the Supersprox because it has steel teeth, and looks a bit trick.

It is the same monkey-see, monkey-do attitude that I get when I talk about certain brands of gear, sprockets, suspension, chains, CF, etc etc etc. People don't get much respect if it isn't universally accepted by the high-and-mighty folks who cast judgment. Go look at Kabooki's thread. SO many haters here...and it gets old JJ.
-Peace

PS-

Yes some of the stuff you say is offensive to me, but I am sure the same can be said about myself. I am not here to get into fights, but I will speak my mind. As you will as well...we will not always see eye to eye. So be it. The attitudes on this forum is the very reason I won't share more with this place. I have thousands going into my bike right now, yet I am hesitant to post anything else about it...I wonder why?

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
But you still didn't explain why you feel personally offended when someone doesn't like what you purchase, other than YES it does offend you. But my question is, why? That was my question, and you didn't answer it.

You got offended because I called Supersprox "in a different thread" snake oil, you brought your offense to this thread, I posted something that in retrospect I shouldn't have, (mainly because I then noticed the OP had a Supersprox), so I saw no need to post that, thus it was immediately deleted, and you recreated that post just to fight. Thats EXACTLY what you did.

You still haven't addressed those questions.

1. Why is it if I don't like something you buy, that offends you? And you stated that is true, it does offend you.
  2. Why did you re-create a post thru email notification that I immediately deleted? Was it to continue the strife from another thread in DEATH INC's thread? Because thats what you have done.
I will say it again. YOU posted up some stuff aimed at ME. Directly at me...hence you quoting me directly. I did NOT direct anything at you. YOU did at ME. Understand?

I opened my e-mail to see you talking schmack, and I replied. Simple really. Let me ask you this, why did you say it to begin with?

I wouldn't say I am offended really, but it irks me when people make these blanket statements...like you and others have. I am still awaiting the proof. And I am not even saying that you are right or wrong, I want to see proof. So?

I bought the sprocket because it met my criteria. It was trick, and it offered a better solution to a stock sprocket. I think it is a nice sprocket. I think it is far superior to a Vortex sprocket. I like it more than the Sunstar as well. So now what? LOL

I see no need to carry on this conversation for what you perceive as my great offense. If you call it snakeoil, others chime in verbatim. Funny how that works. There are people here who set the standard sort-to-speak, you are one of them. I could rattle off some names but I feel it is unnecessary. PM me if you wish to continue this convo, I am more than happy to get into detail.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Calm down guys! Supersprox are snake oil and Vortex sprockets are junk :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts