Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so when I first got the 10 2 years ago brakes were fabulous. I put a pair of HH pads on them for some reason when I put the pads on they somehow scared the freaking rotor? wtf...Anyways got the rotors worked a little but bottom line is I want a little more braking power. My thoughts are.

Find ZX 14 Calipers. Alone this appears to be a fix all for our brakes even though I still think they are reasonable brakes to begin with but. Better is still better.

Steel lines. Ok so new pads and steel lines what change will this make?

Brembo Master Cylinder and New lines. With the factory calipers what kind of difference can i expect here. I don't want stupid levels of sensitivity but I definetly don't like feeling like I have to squeeze the breaks to bring it down from speed when I have to hit the brakes hard.

·
Registered
788 Posts
i would do 1 lines, 2 brembo master and calipers last if you dont like what you have. i have stock calipers with 20mm oversize rotors, hh pads, and the stock master with speigler lines and my brakes are awesome. i have a brembo master that i will be putting on soon when i have time.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
bend your stock brake lever away from the bar just a hair.....

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i bolted on a complete 05 636 front brake system (master, lines, calipers, pads) and the brakes are 100x better than before. i have ebc hh pads and new lines for it, i imagine it will only help even more. also, i ran dot5 fluid, and got no fade at the last track day. i bought the entire brake system on ebay for about $125 shipped. compared ot the cost of the brembo mc alone, it is a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I use my feet like Fred Flintstone to stop.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice think I will go that route. Really the least thing I want to replace is the caliper's. I'd bend my Stock Brake lever's except my Levers are CRG and adjustable and damn near all the way out as is. They used to be only 1 or 2 clicks out. The only ZX14 calipers I found on ebay were around 400 at that time in the auction with 3 days to go. Don't see myself really jumping on that.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The stock brake system is strong enough to stop a car and I can lift the back wheel off the ground from damn near any speed..... so :dontknow:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
20k miles down the line my brakes are definetly not what they once were. I have mad respect for the brakes I just want them as strong as they were or maybe a touch better? oh and Yes I have changed pads just in case someone asks lol

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
I just put my feet down Flinstone style,

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
The stock brake system is strong enough to stop a car and I can lift the back wheel off the ground from damn near any speed..... so :dontknow:

but try it corner after corner lap after lap and you'll soon see why the upgrade is necessary for those riding trackdays or racing.

BD

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Take your bike to the track with your standard brake setup and then report back to us. :beer:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Take your bike to the track with your standard brake setup and then report back to us. :beer:
What good would that do you? You already know everything.

Did I overlook the part where he mentioned the mod was for a racebike?:dontknow:

Oh... no, wait. He didn't mention that at all. Looks like I made YET ANOTHER needless post.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
What good would that do you? You already know everything.

Did I overlook the part where he mentioned the mod was for a racebike?:dontknow:

Oh... no, wait. He didn't mention that at all. Looks like I made YET ANOTHER needless post.
Yep you got that right. :lol:

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
My 10 has the zx14 calipars,ebc hh pads with hel lines and stock m/c and rotors...They work damn great..Mind ya now i also completely drained my brk fluid as well..Filled it up with dot 5 so..Ya know...??

·
GEN II Driver
2,885 Posts
replaced the pads first with galfer sintered hh pads & high temp fluid = ok but still lots of fade. replaced the mc and upgraded to goodrich braided lines = little better but still lots of fade. finally conceded and now going all in with the zx-14 calipers to complete my brake upgrade.

everything i've read points to caliper replacement as the fix and from what i've experienced by replacing all the variables (-) calipers i'm optimistic that i will soon have a track worthy setup with the new calipers installed.

going to give it a try and let ya'll know when installed and tested.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't have any problem with the 06 ZX10R stock MC or Tokico calipers. But I run SS lines, Vesrah RJL pads, Pazzo 6 position levers and Motul RBF 600 (DOT5.1) brake fluid. No brake fade during a 4 hour endurance race and never more than two finger braking.

I put a Brembo MC, ss lines, Vesrah RJL pads and Motul RBF 600 in my 06 ZX6R track bike and the two bikes have similar braking performance but the Brembo MC gives 1 finger and more responsive 'feel'. The difference could be attributed to the weight difference though.

Best bang for the buck SS lines, Vesrah pads (thanks JJ) and Motul RBF 600.:cool:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I will be switching to RJL pad here shortly as well....Other than that, I run Motul RBF 600 and Goodridge SS lines....No issues at Mid Ohio in 100 degree heat..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts