Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding on I-75 on the way home from class to get my truck to go pickup my son from school...when.. I decided to drop it down to third..roll into it...hit 4th...hit 5th.. POOOFFF...Vibrations... And complete loss of power... looked in rear view and yep a big white cloud of smoke... only 2202 miles.. and I have an unsightly hole in the front of my case beneath the headers... looks like a rod decided to be the weakest link... luckily I was almost at the off ramp and had enough speed to reach the top of the hill and then I rolled it into the gas station...right off the interstate...luckily I live two blocks from there so I went and got my truck and trailer and retrieved the bike... and have just completed it's return to the factory setup... going to take it to the shop tomorrow to have it repaired... any advice on how to assure they don't "get me" at the dealership?... I have dealt with them before... purchased three bikes from them and haven't ever had this happen(warranty repair)... I don't understand how it slung a rod but it did and I just hope I dont get any grief about fixing it...

This really sucks though... First I got a new set of tires because the factory set caught a nail... then the replacement one caught a nail... then someone stole my helmet... now a broken rod...

Life is grand... and then you die...

JK...:lol:

Anyhow, if any of you have dealt with a Kawasaki warranty repair I'd appreciate it if ya post up something helpful if you can... thanks...

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Sorry I can't be of help, I've never bought a bike w/warranty.
But DAMN your luck man, stay away from us :lol:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Owch... your 08 tossed a rod? Yours is the first 3rd gen I've heard of having complete engine failure. How long is the factory warranty? Mine makes a little noise and you can feel a little tiny bit of vibration in neutral with the clutch out... noise/vibration stops when you put the clutch in. It's like a throw out bearing or something... makes me want to bring mine in before the waranty is up.

Good luck... just make sure your bike is back to stock 100% and give then no excuse to deny your warranty claim!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
What type of oil did you run (curious)? Sorry to hear that. At least you didn't get hurt (always a blessing). Good luck at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Smart thing you did by returning the bike to stock, I had a ticking problem with the Harley I had last year and the dealership denied my claim because of aftermarket exhaust/air filter with no air/fuel tuner. I sold the bike before the bike got any worse!!! Luckily the only things I'd have to change back on the 10R would be the air filter and slip-on, that's why I always keep my stock parts.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Wow, that type of mechanical failure is almost unheard of w/modern Japanese motorcycles! Must have been a serious fluke!

Good luck w/repairs! Don't take ANY sh!t from the stealership!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Factory Kawasaki 4 Cycle Motorcyle Premium Enging Oil 10W-40... The kind the dealership put in there and I have changed it 3 times since new and bought the kawasaki oil filter and oil from them... around 300 800 1500 miles...
Never taken it to the track... just my daily rider...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
...I think something was wrong from the factory and it just came forth yesterday.... :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
yeah there are THOSE bikes out there, kind makes you wonder when you get a bike dynoed especially, is this the time she will POP?

I feel that way everytime my 636 is on there being retuned and she is wailing at 15000rpm,,,,please dont POP!

·
Registered
901 Posts
What parts of 75 are you from?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
im removing it... already half way done.. i dont want to give them any reason what-so-ever to not warranty it...
Good idea. In this economy, they'll look for ANY reason to avoid honoring the warrantee... c'mon, they know what it'll cost in $$$ and man hours...

·
Registered
265 Posts
this is a silly question, but bike was within operating temp right?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just took it to the dealership, before I even had it off the trailer the mechanic asked if I had my first service done?... I said sure I have changed the oil 3 times... he said but did you have it done with us?.. I said nope did it myself!... Bought the oil from you!... he said well Kawasaki frowns upon that... I said well the bike is 3 months old and and the oils been changed 3 times... he said well as far Kawasaki is concerned there is 2202 miles on the original oil... I was thinking DAMN you are already trying to assist Kawasaki in not paying for the damn repairs...BS... Luckily the guy I bought it from and the guy I deal with in the parts department are the ones making the call to get authorization from Kawasaki to take it apart and see what is all damaged... then I hope they dont try to come up with some type of BS to not repair it.... he said they will probably send someone out to inspect it and then they'll either repair or replace the motor... Which you can see a crack running down the case beneath the hole... I don't want it half ass repaired only to break again later...HOPEFULLY I will hear good news by Friday and that they will cover it... who knows...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this is a silly question, but bike was within operating temp right?
:bitchslap

of course.... im not a dumb @$$... I dont jump on it and go WOT before its warm... I've been riding bikes since I was 12... rebuilt many motors from dirtbikes, fourwheelers, trucks, Mustangs... etc...

When you cut me I bleed motor oil... know what I mean? :hick:

EVERYTHING has been running great on the bike... shit just went sour yesterday...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts