Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

So What Made You Interested in Bikes?

4K views 70 replies 59 participants last post by  UP10 
#1 · (Edited)
I don't normally start threads but I want to bring a fresh topic into discussion to this forum and that every member can reference to. :idea: I've searched high and dry for anything related to this topic but surprisingly found non. I might not just be searching long and hard enough. :dontknow: If there is one, I apologize in advance. :wink:

Okay, so I want to know why you fellas (and gals) :mrgreen: bought a bike or what peaked your interests in bikes.

I'll start off by making a long story short....I was bored with my life, needed a hobby plus a thrill and was tired of driving a car everyday! :lol: BTW, I'm in no way going thru a mid life crisis. :badteeth: I'm still in my 20's but not for very long. :sad:

#2 ·
My dad raced moto-x when he was my age, plus he had a few kawi street bikes. My uncles also ride, one of which has and '05 ZX10. Bought my first bike off of him. So I guess I just wanted to try them out.

#3 ·
well,my stepfather came into my life when i was 12 and he had the KAWASAKI/H2.so he got me started and i got my first bike at 14,it was a HONDA CB175.i've been ride'n every since.been ride'n KAWS since 1984.it was the kz 650-i still have it !

#4 ·
my uncle was always into technology - boosted cars (94 bubble with something like 550whp) , two porsches (911, 944), zrx 1100, dirtbikes... etc.

all this has been under my attention and some use. ive always wanted stuff like that. so i got a bike - a zx6r, and now a 10.

#6 ·
a buddy of mine was living in florida a while back and wanted to purchase a bike that was just down the road from me in michigan. it was a 2000 rc51, i went to the guys house to look at it and simply fell in love with it and motorcycles in general, since then its become my life, i go to bed thinking about bikes, i dream about bikes, and wake up in the morning and go stare at my bike......its ridiculous and i think i need therapy.

#10 ·
My dad had an old Honda CB500(IIRC). Used to give me rides when I was little, burned my legs on the pipes sooooo many times. I remember the oil, nuetral, and hibeam lights on the dash so distinctly. Been in my blood since. I'm passing it along to my son and keeping it alive.

#13 ·
My dad bought me a mini-bike when I was 8 or so, first real bike was a Kawi KV 75. Anybody remember them? Had motocross bikes till I got my first street bike - an FJ1100 Yamaha which I put about 120,000 kilometers on. Winter seems to last 8 months here and I go through withdrawals every second of it. I've had alot of bikes but this 10 is, by far, the scariest, most fun ride I've ever been on!!! I've got my GF hooked on them now so we can spend some time together. I will NEVER stop riding!

#19 ·
My buddy put me on a 636 one thanksgiving and have been riding ever since. That 6 treated me very well and I truely believe that bike saved me from a couple close ones. I owe alot to my buddy and that bike

#20 ·
I moved to fort worth and my room mate was big into HD's and dirt bikes. That got me interested in them but was unable to afford the insurence. I had to wait til I turned 25 and took a MSC. My father had a bike here and there growing up but never really rode them. I likes them but not for more than half hour at a time.

#22 ·
I have always been a mountain biker, with stints of whitewater kayaking and snowboarding. To say that I like to be a little scared is an understatement.

I have always been into building cars and getting into a little trouble. I have had a couple of sub 500hp rear wheel drive cars and even got into drifting before it turned into fast and the furious.

sometime after finishing my undergrad i started work at a very high end, exclusive custom car shop. we built a lot of big boy street cars, and drag supra's. at any given time there were 10+ 800hp street cars in the shop, and more than a few with 1000hp+.

After driving some of those cars, i realized my little 450hp wasn't shit. I also realized i couldn't afford the kind of speed that i fiend for. thats where bikes came in, and from the first ride around the neighborhood, i was hooked. i can't see myself without a bike, ever. as a graduate student i am on a serious budget, but the little i have has been put to good fun with the 10r.

#24 · (Edited)
Was never really big on bikes until...

I was on visiting family in Egypt, in first year uni, and had a car back home in Toronto on its last legs. I was pondering what vehicle I could afford to replace it, and was looking out my taxi window and saw a dude with his baby, himself, todler, wife and another baby on the ONE motorbike! No helmets, filtering through some of the most insane traffic! I also saw on the same trip a furniture delivery of 4 dining room chairs 2 guys and 1 scooter!!! All on the highway and 80kph! I know it's extremely 3rd world but it proved that such a machine is not just for sunday pose downs as the local Toronto riders usually get involved in for 3 months out of the year and only on sunny days.

When I got back to TO I bought a used old beater bike and fell in love! I ride in all weather (even light snow...as long as it isn't sticking to the ground). I ride in temps from 35+C down to -2C. I grew into more and more of the biking, track day, racing scene more and more over the years. But it started all so innocently as a cost saving measure to get a fun, cheap, vertsatile (more than people think), simple tool to get around town and pay little on insurance, fuel, and parking!

I soon found out that a used junker bike spanked 80% of the cars out on the road and that when it comes to value and fun for your money, bikes rule!

I hate cars...with the exception of those with a lot of character. Fast cars don't even compare until you get into the $200,000 range.

Living in the UK with all year riding weather I never needed a car. The wife had one for herself and it was good for loading groceries (for a family).

Back in Toronto now and it's a bit different...the car is more necessary. But I fell in love with the bike so hard...the wife gets a car, I get a bike, and for 3 months of the year the subway and public trans is fine for me!

If I get the cash to spring for a winter beater car for myself I think I will go with a classic mini cooper! Rust proof it and enjoy it in the winter!

Other than that cars are like fat chicks to me...(some people like their big women, but I can't for the life of me see why!!!)

#26 ·
My parents took my family to the beach when I was about 7 or 8.....I found a spiderman on a sportbike toy in the sand that someone had either lost or dropped as they left....I showed it my mom and asked if I could keep it.....she told me if no one came back to claim it within the hour then it was mine...well, no one ever came back and ever since then I've been obsessed with bikes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.